Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

coolant leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RGB

eRaca
May 14, 2009
May I point out, RGB, that you seem much happier than you seemed a few months ago.
:D <-- tesla smiley?

Enjoy your car!!

At least until about an hour ago when I noticed that battery coolant is leaking from my car. :frown:

Didn't think I'd have to try out their repair service so soon.....

But I'm still wearing my EV-smile! :D

Look closely at the reservoir cap area. If the leak is coming from it basically overflowing, then join the club. It seems to be happening with a number of us. Was told that it wasn't serious. If on the other hand, it is coming from somewhere else, then it could be a much bigger problem.

Look closely at the reservoir cap area. If the leak is coming from it basically overflowing, then join the club. It seems to be happening with a number of us. Was told that it wasn't serious. If on the other hand, it is coming from somewhere else, then it could be a much bigger problem.

Unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the cause. I topped it off with destilled water today after noticing that the level was below the MIN mark. Later I noticed a puddle underneath the door on the driver side. The reservoir next to the battery pack is completely empty now.

The Tesla guys had lose plans to come to town anyways. The problem I encountered gave them another good reason so they got in their car late afternoon yesterday, drove about 450 km, got here at about 10.30pm and left at around 1am after they'd finished my car. Well, Rudi was working while Craig and I were having beer and snacks! :D
Thanks guys!

Edit: A T-piece of the tube that's sitting right behind the battery coolant reservoir wasn't connected tightly. In case someone is interested in what turned out to be the problem.

Last edited:
Edit: A T-piece of the tube that's sitting right behind the battery coolant reservoir wasn't connected tightly. In case someone is interested in what turned out to be the problem.

I'm glad it all worked out so quickly. This seems to be a pretty important issue, I hope the Tesla engineers/mechanics get informed. :redface:

I'm glad it all worked out so quickly. This seems to be a pretty important issue, I hope the Tesla engineers/mechanics get informed. :redface:

They will. Reports will get filed, workers questioned, my cars qc records checked - from what I remember. So, all in all seems like a very trustworthy procedure to me.