Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coolant Low Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got a “Coolant Low Warning -OK to Drive” error on a brand new Model Y with less than 200 miles. This was followed up with reduced power warnings. After discussing it with support - they suggested that I bring it in. As it was within 7 days of purchase I didn’t need an appointment. I planned to do it the next day - but the car started making all kinds of noises while it was parked in my driveway. Loud grinding noises, cooling noises - and they would not stop. They kept going despite resetting the car, shutting down the car etc. I couldn’t imagine having that go on all night - so I took it in pronto.

While I don’t yet know the outcome, the service guy thought it was likely the heat pump making most of the noise. I have owned a Model 3 and a Model X and never have heard noises like these so the heat pump as the culprit makes sense. This explanation made me feel a bit better, because those noises on a 3 or an X would mean something really bad is happening.

The low power warning had all kinds of effects which surprised me. Backup camera, navigation, voice control, turn signal audio all did not work. The car also wouldn’t go above 65 and struggled to maintain 65 on up hill stretches of road. I expected sluggish performance, but not all of the other side effects.

Apart from this - I love the car and hope I didn’t get a lemon. The Y will be a top seller as it is the perfect blend of performance, size and capability.

I think you are right. The tech called it the Superbottle, but the parts order calls it the Supermanifold Assembly which I assume is the proper name of the Octovalve. That also explains why the part has to be special ordered. I would think the M3 superbottle is likely stocked locally by now.

It's interesting that our 2017 Model 3 threw the "Coolant Low" error on our first couple of road trips. Associated with parking on an incline.

Obviously, not the same issue as reported here, because there were never any other symptoms up to this day.

Not to scare you, but my less than 1 month old Model Y LR AWD has been at the service center multiple times to address this "Coolant Low" issue. First time, firmware. 2nd time factory didn't top it off properly. 3rd time, hose was leaky. 4th time, I believe points to the same manifold assembly referenced above. Of course parts for 3 & 4 were not available, so it was ~a week waiting for parts each time. We'll see if this one fixes it. It apparently started with such a small leak that they couldn't find it to today where the leak ended up all over the garage.

Could this be a potential problem with the octovalve itself, like a design flaw? Or, could it be something in the assembly process not being connected all the way. There's another first-page thread about a coolant hose that wasn't tightened all the way...

Reactions: Berkshire1
Could this be a potential problem with the octovalve itself, like a design flaw? Or, could it be something in the assembly process not being connected all the way. There's another first-page thread about a coolant hose that wasn't tightened all the way...
It COULD be a hose came loose...as it did for me at just under 300 miles. Mobile tech said they usually find these before delivery to owner, but sometimes they slip through. Took several passes through process to remove air before it cleared up the noise and mine was towed to service center to resolve...
First symptom was fluid everywhere, then the noise, reduced power and no cooling...

• Informative
Reactions: Pilot1226
I am thinking this was a B-Team build. One of the back seat releases worked correctly, the other one always released both seats. The rear hatch was poorly aligned and the badging on the back was crooked. It’s not hard to imagine sensors being mis connected or a lose hose or both. I don’t know if I actually lost coolant because the car was parked in locations other than my garage. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Octoval got worn out because it kept working non stop for hours on end to try to balance the heat/cooling. To the credit of the delivery team - they significantly improved the hatch alignment and also resolved the seat issue at delivery. I had to wait a bit, but thought I had avoided a return to service. The Dedham service team has always done a great job - so I am pretty confident that the car will be fine once they are done with it.

The good news is that I am already missing my car. I have a Model S loaner -but it just doesn’t compare.

• Disagree
Reactions: Mr. Michael

In my case, it was the hose itself that was damaged. During the 2nd visit, they checked the hose connections and said it there were no leaks. On the 3rd visit, they said probably damaged during transport and didn't develop an actual leak until after some miles driven.

• Informative
Reactions: Pilot1226
So after two weeks in the shop I have a new Supermanifold assembly. It sounds like it was leaking which led to the low coolant error. Because this was a new complex part and repair, it required a senior tech to perform the work which caused additional repair delay.

Because it failed so quickly, I hadn’t yet had it inspected as you have to do in MA within 7 days. So I took it to be inspected thinking all would be back to normal, but alas, the car failed inspection due to issues with the right front blinker. So now another two week wait for a ranger to resolve that issue and then a re-inspection. The guy performing the inspection said this was a first for him - having a brand new car fail inspection. At first I chalked it up to Model Y issues, but then I also realized that most new car dealers in MA perform their own inspections. Tesla can’t because they don’t have the equipment to do emissions testing. A dealer - would be able to correct the issue before delivering the car.

Having said all that, I’m thrilled to have the car back and still love it. I just want it to stay healthy and out of the shop.

I just got a “Coolant Low Warning -OK to Drive” error on a brand new Model Y with less than 200 miles. This was followed up with reduced power warnings. After discussing it with support - they suggested that I bring it in. As it was within 7 days of purchase I didn’t need an appointment. I planned to do it the next day - but the car started making all kinds of noises while it was parked in my driveway. Loud grinding noises, cooling noises - and they would not stop. They kept going despite resetting the car, shutting down the car etc. I couldn’t imagine having that go on all night - so I took it in pronto.

While I don’t yet know the outcome, the service guy thought it was likely the heat pump making most of the noise. I have owned a Model 3 and a Model X and never have heard noises like these so the heat pump as the culprit makes sense. This explanation made me feel a bit better, because those noises on a 3 or an X would mean something really bad is happening.

The low power warning had all kinds of effects which surprised me. Backup camera, navigation, voice control, turn signal audio all did not work. The car also wouldn’t go above 65 and struggled to maintain 65 on up hill stretches of road. I expected sluggish performance, but not all of the other side effects.

Apart from this - I love the car and hope I didn’t get a lemon. The Y will be a top seller as it is the perfect blend of performance, size and capability.

After 5,500 miles, I just got the same warning. Was about 20 minutes away from home. No issues driving home. Tried to not use the heat/ac. Once I got home, I opened the garage door and noticed a puddle of coolant. Have a SC appointment, hopefully just a loose hose.

I am thinking this was a B-Team build. One of the back seat releases worked correctly, the other one always released both seats. The rear hatch was poorly aligned and the badging on the back was crooked. It’s not hard to imagine sensors being mis connected or a lose hose or both. I don’t know if I actually lost coolant because the car was parked in locations other than my garage. It wouldn’t surprise me if the Octoval got worn out because it kept working non stop for hours on end to try to balance the heat/cooling. To the credit of the delivery team - they significantly improved the hatch alignment and also resolved the seat issue at delivery. I had to wait a bit, but thought I had avoided a return to service. The Dedham service team has always done a great job - so I am pretty confident that the car will be fine once they are done with it.

The good news is that I am already missing my car. I have a Model S loaner -but it just doesn’t compare.
Wow. 5 years later. Almost an identical set of issues on my MY.
Even the rear seat doesn't work properly. It's at service now. All they did was top up the coolant. But ...will check for leakge when I pick it up

Since last night i was getting a frunk open error message even though it wasn’t and then a coolant low error message. The warnings would come and go. I took the drunk apart and saw that my coolant level was normal, no leaks, but I did notice the frunk button was stuck as if pressed. I topped off the coolant because I went through the trouble of buying some (Prestone), disconnected the frunk resales button and reconnected it making sure it wasn’t stuck as if pressed, and my models S seems back to normal. One of the issues that happened when the warnings came on yesterday is that the horn stopped working, and the hazard lights were not showing on the dash as if on. Glad I didn’t go to the dealer. My exploring cost the $20 I speaking on the coolant.