Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coolant pump ran all night, still running

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It goes to sleep when the computer / temperature sensors have met their temperature criteria on the coolant temp (no you can't say goto sleep, like saying goto sleep to a hungry baby). It was designed that way for a reason, to ensure longevity of the pack (Lithium Ion hate heat). Always check your battery temps and run a cooldown cycle for 15min to 30hr and after you shut the charge cycle down it'll goto sleep when it feels safe and comfortable in a short period of time. This should be done as soon as you get home so your Roadster's battery isn't sitting in an uncomfortable hot tub for days. The front "radiator" is not a radiator as what you think as like an ICE vehicle. It works with the condenser and is only efficient and to have any real effect on removing the heat from the coolant and dropping the cooling temps down when the AC condenser runs and the electric fans run. This occurs off of the PLUG/220v when ESS temps are above 40C (and won't bring temps down below that much at all to conserve battery) or when on the 220V charger and a charge is active.

Requesting a Cooldown manually through OVMS finally resulted in the car sleeping right after!

Wiztecy: I understand that the car needs to fulfill its mission to protect the battery from high temps. However, for the last three days with ambient temps at 70-75F the car has managed to keep itself at 89F. It seems there might be a flaw in the logic of how/when to achieve the desired battery temp.
Here in Texas I will be seeing many hot days so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. In the past I have left the car in Standard Mode but it keeps the battery at 95% full which I don't need. I will experiment with keeping it in Storage Mode while the battery is between 50 and 75% full and see if I can keep the battery temps below 90F.
michael

Requesting a Cooldown manually through OVMS finally resulted in the car sleeping right after!

Good to hear. Do multiple "Range Mode" cooldowns which works more aggressively than std. mode for faster times as well as for higher ESS temps.

However, for the last three days with ambient temps at 70-75F the car has managed to keep itself at 89F. It seems there might be a flaw in the logic of how/when to achieve the desired battery temp.

I've seen this behavior too in California where temps will be 82+ during the day, but drop to the mid 60's / 70's at night. On a previous battery I didn't care about (knew it was getting swapped out), the pump ran for 3 days continuously since I didn't care to cool it down. If its 90+ degrees outside and you pull inside a 75F garage, the battery does not have any way to remove heat from its core other than dissipating the heat from its shell. Also if you drive the Roadster hard and not granny style, temps will rise substantially in the pack even if it is 75 degrees and will still have the same hot core effect. It takes a while for ambient temps (lower than the ESS) to cool down a heated ESS assembly let alone the coolant moving through it. On very hot day where my ESS temps have risen substantially, I pop the rear trunk to expose the ESS while doing my cooldown. Otherwise the CF trunk acts like an oven door keeping the heat inside for which the cooldown has to work harder and longer to bring down. Also the PEM will be hot, the motor will be hot, and all this heat has no easy way of escaping but rather acting like a heat bubble around the ESS. Always keep an eye on you ESS temps.

What flaw are you talking about? There's no flaw, everything is designed for a reason to act a certain way, whether its to save the battery life, to save the battery capacity, etc.

Here in Texas I will be seeing many hot days so it will be interesting to see how it plays out. In the past I have left the car in Standard Mode but it keeps the battery at 95% full which I don't need. I will experiment with keeping it in Storage Mode while the battery is between 50 and 75% full and see if I can keep the battery temps below 90F.
michael

That is totally wrong, Std. mode charges the pack only to 82-84% SOC not 95%. A full Range mode charge charges the pack up to only 96-98%, again by design to protect the ESS for longevity. SOC is the battery in terms of its real capacity in the same terms as in filling a bucket up with water. If you're looking at the battery icon in Std. Mode on the VMS that's not SOC! That's only telling you how much range you have based upon 15-20% that you won't use on the lower end of the ESS and 15-20% at the top. In relation to capacity, the 100% "full" charge of which your battery representation is showing you in Std. Mode is based upon a full battery that's only using 70% of its total capacity.

I don't understand your experiment/purpose for it in the last sentence. There's no relation there of an idle ESS sitting at that SOC and its heat/cooling temp. An ESS *will* heat up faster when you drive them at a *lower* SOC, but have no effect when sitting idle.

Last edited:
I realize that 95% in standard mode might really be 85% soc. I've heard that the battery will be happier if kept less than that, so I thought I would keep mine around 50-60%, if I'm not driving it very often or far. I also realize that most people will want their battery more full than that because they drive it farther between charges. Leaving the car in Standard Mode causes it to charge to [standard] Full. Leaving it in Storage Mode causes the car to sit (plugged in) without increasing charge and I think it will still do cooldowns. The act of charging causes increased battery temps. Why do it if you don't need it? Especially when it gets 100F outside. Btw, My recent posts report conditions when it was only 70F outside as well as inside my garage and I had not driven the car for several days.
Ill try leaving the trunk open when I garage the car after driving it on hot days. I guess I should try to defeat the trunk light when I do that.
I'm just trying to find the best combination of settings to keep the battery as "comfortable" as possible during the summer months, especially since I won't drive the roadster very much, now that I also have a Model S. Last summer I always left it plugged in, in Standard Mode and noticed battery temps almost always over 100F, even in the early morning after sitting all night. I don't want to A/C the garage to keep my car cool.
Ill post again in a month to let you know how it responds to Storage Mode. If anybody has experience with this, please let me know. Thanks
michael

I realize that 95% in standard mode might really be 85% soc. I've heard that the battery will be happier if kept less than that, so I thought I would keep mine around 50-60%, if I'm not driving it very often or far.

That's correct and I do the same, keeping the SOC above 50% but below 70% when sitting or not in use for a consecutive amount of time. But Telsa did their homework and found that the major SOC degradation occurs when the ESS sits at 85% and above for long periods of time.

Leaving it in Storage Mode causes the car to sit (plugged in) without increasing charge and I think it will still do cooldowns. The act of charging causes increased battery temps. Why do it if you don't need it? Especially when it gets 100F outside. Btw, My recent posts report conditions when it was only 70F outside as well as inside my garage and I had not driven the car for several days.

Storage mode is only used (for myself) if I leave my Roadster unattended for weeks at a time. The Roadster does not have a significant vampire drain is and is fine. But if you want extra insurance and feel safer then I guess I see why you do this. It wakes your Roadster once per day to check the SOC. I believe if it gets around 20% it'll put some charge in. Otherwise its waking the Roadster for nothing to do really and in my opinion will cause the pack to drain faster than when not in Storage mode. Also I have never seen the Roadster build up heat when charging. If yours does heat up while charging, your AC/Condenser might not functioning right and my need to be recharged. You should hear the condenser at least engage and if the coolant is hot enough the front fans will kick on. Otherwise charging initiates the AC to cool the pack and the ESS will never heat up while charging *unless* you are in *performance* mode which purposely drives the ESS temps to pull more current while driving. Also if you're worried about charging / building up the SOC while cooling, drop your current/amps down to 12 Amps on 220V, that's enough to cover the HVAC/AC system to cool down the pack.

...now that I also have a Model S. Last summer I always left it plugged in, in Standard Mode and noticed battery temps almost always over 100F, even in the early morning after sitting all night. I don't want to A/C the garage to keep my car cool.

You should be able to do the same cool-down trick on the S. I don't have one but it should be running off the same concept.

- - - Updated - - -

When I charge my battery in STD mode it charges to 95% for some reason:confused:

How're you determining this / getting the data?

Last edited:
If you are getting your data from OVMS, the 95% displayed is the % in relation to the charge mode (i.e. 95% of Standard mode = 85% of Range mode).

You can confirm this by switching the charge mode. The ideal and estimated range will change appropriately and the percentage will also change.

One advantage of keeping a lower SOC is the battery is less sensitive to heat than at high SOC. It's the combination of high SOC and high temperature that kills the battery - it can tolerate heat quite well at low SOC.

I try to keep my SOC between 35% and 50% in the summer, except when I need the extra range on weekends. I don't bother with Storage mode, it's easier to leave it unplugged and charge once a week to 50%. I'll also run a cool down cycle after a long drive to keep the pack under 30C.

The Model S battery runs at a higher temperature than the Roadster, so it doesn't need a cool down. Its active cooling kicks in at 60C, which helps for Supercharging or driving on a track, but not much in daily use. The Roadster HVAC runs more aggressively with a 40C limit.

Last edited:
Yes.

But, one disadvantage is that if you're stomping the accelerator pedal I do believe it's better to have a more fully charged battery.

I believe djp was talking about when the Roadster is sitting idle/unused and it makes sense, hence how a battery sitting at full charge in the dead of heat is a real killer for its life. But yes, that's correct, at a lower SOC (below 60%) stomping on the accelerator will build up heat much faster in the pack and also when its below 50% adds more stress to the cells.

Yes.

But, one disadvantage is that if you're stomping the accelerator pedal I do believe it's better to have a more fully charged battery.

True, but I don't stomp it much when commuting in the city during the week. I save the fun for weekends when I have a full charge. Plus the stomps are transient, so probably don't do as much damage as soaking in high heat and high charge 24/7.

I think the point is to understand what the pack/ESS really like / hate and what kills them. To get the most current and punch out of your pack, well, that's a different story. Current flow loves heat.

But for longevity which is my #1 priority which my Roadster is my daily commuter, they like 50% SOC when not being used and sitting for longer than a 3-6+ days. They also like lower temps (sub 80F), not hot(80+) when used. Idle, they're pretty insulated. Actually very well insulated. They do not like at all being pushed with punches of the accelerator (hard current jabs/pulls) when they're below 50% SOC. And when you get to 30% or below SOC don't even think about it unless death for you is at the reins. They REALLY don't like high ambient temps above 85F and being used. Idle, fine. But if the Roadster's ESS is sitting above 32C+ during the day and there's a J1772 plug or equivalent COOL it down, she'll love you for it more than anything in the world.

Like anything, learn what she(your Roadster) likes / dislikes and she'll treat you well. Look at the sexy lines of the Roadster, there's nothing sexier those beautiful curves and lines. If you sit 45 degrees from any rear tail light during the sunset you'll know what I mean. And for those who have Roadsters, people see this which we may neglect. Its pure beauty.

So getting back...if you don't want the management / geeky overhead, Tesla did a very good job in making sure the ESS will hold up fine for your daily use and longevity. ESS cooling was the #1 thing they wanted to get right.

Last edited: