Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooler air in late 2020 model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious to know if anyone has been experiencing something similar to what I've noticed for my late 2020 model 3. I took delivery of this vehicle on September 2020. When I first started with the car, on chilly days I set the climate control to 68 and 70 on cold days and the temp inside the car was comfortable. I think recently (maybe after 2020.48.26 update) I noticed that the 68-70 range actually started blowing cool air instead of warm. I can confirm even after 30 minutes the car continuously running it still blows cool air. I have to crank my heat up to around 76-78 to get around the same level of comfort.

Although it's the middle of winter and having to turn up heat might make sense but I live in the Seattle area and so far the temperature here hasn't changed that much drastically. Also, I know this isn't the heat pump issue I've been hearing about because the 2020 models don't have a heat pump.

Has anyone else noticed any drastic change in their climate control recently?

Last edited:
Hi! I believe this is true - My wife had told me the same a few days ago and I didn’t think much of it. But it happened to me yesterday morning. I usually have my temp set to 69F and it’s winter here in Maryland so the air usually blows “warm” but this was not the case yesterday morning. I feel like a lot of these little things end up bro g software glitches - hopefully they fix it!

I'm noticing that I have to put the temp up a couple of degrees higher in my 2021 P3 than on my old 2020 stealth. In the old car I would be comfortable at 68, now I have to put it up to 70 to be comfortable.

I noticed that when heating up the car, it usually initially turns on the A/C (indicated by the A/C button being blue) to remove some of the moisture and prevent fogging the windows. That means it usually blows cold for a bit but then warms up.

I have a 2018 so not sure if that behavior has changed but I used to be confused by the cold air blowing until I realized what was happening.

Glad you said this. I've noticed the same. I have assumed that it is because the AC is also kicking in for defrosting or something. If I turn off the AC, it seems to help...but windows fog immediately.

Definitely more humid here in the PNW than in summer, and it might be that the AC is removing more moisture...which means cooler air because, physics.

This is totally an anecdote, but I've only ever noticed my car blowing cold during the day and never when it is dark out. Suspect it has to do with the cabin getting too warm through solar radiation and the HVAC is trying to bring it back down to the set temp too quickly. But I'm not seeing this behavior for 30 mins at a time though, usually just a couple.

nah, on my old car is was always set at 68 and never had an issue no matter how cold it was outside. On the new car it has to be set at 70.

A heat pump extracts heat from the outside air and in Tesla's case, the battery. If the battery and the outside air is cold, if won't be able to extract as much heat.

The old resistive heater just makes heat from electricity.

Reactions: DDHEverything
This is totally an anecdote, but I've only ever noticed my car blowing cold during the day and never when it is dark out. Suspect it has to do with the cabin getting too warm through solar radiation and the HVAC is trying to bring it back down to the set temp too quickly. But I'm not seeing this behavior for 30 mins at a time though, usually just a couple.

the AC is way too cold for nighttime cooling even in the desert/tropics.The car cools down the air and then warms it back up. So what comes out is already nicely preconditioned. When its sunny and hot outside the car will just blow ACed air which feels cooler.