TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Cooler for compartment in trunk

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by gambit48, Jul 8, 2018.

1. gambit48

gambit48 Member

Anyone find one that fits, so you can still place that cover back over the compartment?

I've heard this one fits, even in the frunk:
    https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Can-Party-Stacker-Cooler/dp/B002BMCLMU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531097912&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman+stacker&dpID=31hBrCy96FL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Wondering if this one fits as well as it'll be close:
    https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-3000000483-Party-Stacker-Cooler/dp/B002BMEFHE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1531097928&sr=8-1&keywords=coleman%2Bstacker%2B33&th=1

Ideally, I'd like a cooler that can keep ice cold for 2 days or more. I don't think those Stacker Coolers are insulated all that well.

2. gambit48

gambit48 Member

A 24" x 14" cooler fits. The problem is the well slopes up. It's at least 12" deep at the deepest end in the middle of the trunk, but up by the bumper, it's probably only about 10" tall. That's a pretty short cooler.

3. TheLocNar

TheLocNar Member

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. gambit48

gambit48 Member

5. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

Any feedback on how it performed? Does it fit nicely in the lower storage area inside the trunk?

6. gambit48

gambit48 Member

It fits perfectly. The width is just about perfect as well. Front to back is a bit too short though. I wish it was bigger on that dimension.

The zippers get caught fairly frequently due to how the parts of the bag are shaped. They're great when everything is aligned, it's just that it's easy for flaps or whatever to get caught or make things misaligned.

Not sure about performance. I've thrown ice packs in there with groceries. It'll take 100+ degree heat for a few hours with the ice pack still frozen. Haven't tried overnight yet.

7. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

That's great! Do you happen to have any pics of it in there? I'm trying to see how big it actually is as well. It's hard to tell from the few pictures online.

8. gambit48

gambit48 Member

I'll try and post one tomorrow.

9. fr100

fr100 Member

Doesn't that bottom area get hot due to heat from being next to the motor?

10. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

Thank you.

11. gambit48

gambit48 Member

Not that I've noticed. I mean, I doubt there's much insulation there, and the trunk is open to the rest of the cabin due to the bass port (the mesh screen on the rear parcel shelf).

12. gambit48

gambit48 Member

5012378E-5824-4E52-AC02-6E5E3114E001.jpeg
    There's enough room to fit a paper towel roll.

• Like x 1
  13. Tony_YYZ

Tony_YYZ Active Member

Thank you very much.

Can't seem to find this cooler bag in Canada.

14. nikolanj

nikolanj Member

how does the Model S frunk compare in dimensions to the Model 3? I'm wondering if any of the options posted here would fit inside my MS frunk? Thanks.

15. Natalie 1

Natalie 1 Member

Our Model S frunk is larger.

16. gambit48

gambit48 Member

Model S frunk is significantly larger. These would all fit, but I think you're better off finding a bigger and better cooler than what could fit in the Model 3.

17. Natalie 1

Natalie 1 Member

I have that cooler, you cannot get bigger in the 3. That is the max, unless you go soft-side like Yeti.

18. smak

smak Member

This might be a good idea to throw some ice cream and other frozen things in after going to the grocery store, so you don't have to rush home

19. dixosw

dixosw Member

Looks good. Does it fit into the frunk of the Model 3 also? Or is it too high and/or wide?

20. GoingVerde

GoingVerde Member