Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooler for Model S Trunk Well or Frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking for the cooler with the best fit for either the trunk storage well in the back, or the frunk in the front of a 2017 Model S. The ideal cooler would have the following:
  1. Utilize as much of the space as possible for maximum storage and/or insulation.
  2. Have high quality thermal insulation to keep ice cold on road trips (doesn't have to be YETI or RTIC rotomolded with super thick EPS foam, but something more than a basic Coleman would be nice).
  3. Remain in place most of the time for picking up frozen/refrigerated groceries.
  4. For the trunk, it would be great to fill the well in the rear trunk and be shallow enough to be covered (so the space above could be used), but am certainly open to ditching that idea for a cooler that meets the other criteria and adds more vertical storage, or a frunk cooler to just dedicate the hardly ever used frunk for this purpose.
Would appreciate suggestions and pictures if you have them!

I love my soft-sided RTIC 30 can cooler. It fits PERFECTLY in the frunk, but is just a bit too tall (12.75") for the frunk's small tunnel (for RWD models). It will be difficult to find an ice chest that will fit in the trunk well due to the short height, other than a bag type cooler (search Amazon for "collapsible cooler", or go to Costco, they sell a fold-flat insulated bag). I've taken a couple of pics of my RTIC in the frunk and trunk. If you plan to use this for groceries, bring it inside the store (and open the lid) so it cools down before you load it up.
Shop Soft Pack 30, Grey

IMG_3085.JPG IMG_3083.jpg IMG_3084.jpg

I love my soft-sided RTIC 30 can cooler. It fits PERFECTLY in the frunk, but is just a bit too tall (12.75") for the frunk's small tunnel (for RWD models). It will be difficult to find an ice chest that will fit in the trunk well due to the short height, other than a bag type cooler (search Amazon for "collapsible cooler", or go to Costco, they sell a fold-flat insulated bag). I've taken a couple of pics of my RTIC in the frunk and trunk. If you plan to use this for groceries, bring it inside the store (and open the lid) so it cools down before you load it up.
Shop Soft Pack 30, Grey

View attachment 424695 View attachment 424696 View attachment 424697
Thank you for supplying the photos. I have been eyeing the RTIC soft coolers for other purposes, and was thinking about it for this reason. Seeing it in the frunk helps confirm my suspicion that the RTIC 30 is smaller than what I'm looking for in terms of grocery transportation. I'd like to be able to throw in a pack of fresh fish and a frozen bag or two of something from Costco in whatever I end up with.

The RTIC 40 is a little bigger and would actually hold 750ML bottles of beer or wine (the original purpose I was looking at that cooler), but the RTIC 40 is sold off right now (50% off 4th of July sale), and it's format is probably too tall for the frunk. The RTIC 65 looks nice for the trunk if I'm okay living with it sitting up.

I am also wondering what cooler would fit best in the front. I want something more sturdy than a collapsable cooler. And want something bigger than the ones people have been using. Ive tried some bigger cooler but they all seem to hit the top of the frunk when closed.