Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooler recommendations that fit in the sub trunk or frunk?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning on a car camping trip next month and am thinking of food and drink storage options. Going to be using an Exped Megamat Duo 10M, and I'm trying to figure out if I can bring a quality cooler to store a bunch of food and drinks. I'm hoping I can fit a quality cooler in the sub trunk or the frunk 24/7, but I guess if I had to, I could just inflate the Exped mat up every night while moving the cooler onto the driver or passenger seat. Any advice or recommendations?

We were contemplating a soft cooler but then thought why not take advantage of the car as battery. So a 12V cooler that can plug into the outlet in the back sounds like a better idea. Camp mode when stopped to keep it cool should last longer than soft with ice.

We were contemplating a soft cooler but then thought why not take advantage of the car as battery. So a 12V cooler that can plug into the outlet in the back sounds like a better idea. Camp mode when stopped to keep it cool should last longer than soft with ice.

Have you tried it yet? I recall reading something about the 12V being iffy for dedicated usage by something drawing a lot of power. Something about a 12v to 110v adapter overheating.

Interesting! That's actually quite a bit better than I was expecting on the power draw. I just realized (just got my Y so still learning the ins and outs) that the 12v outlet is in the cargo area. That's a bit of a problem for me as I intend to fold the rear seats and sleep in the back. Guess it's back to moving the cooler between the cargo area and passenger seat.

Interesting! That's actually quite a bit better than I was expecting on the power draw. I just realized (just got my Y so still learning the ins and outs) that the 12v outlet is in the cargo area. That's a bit of a problem for me as I intend to fold the rear seats and sleep in the back. Guess it's back to moving the cooler between the cargo area and passenger seat.
You could still plug it in with the center console plug when moved.

Love the idea, but the problem is you wouldn't be able to keep it in the sub-trunk. Refrigerators need to vent heat.

You could run it with the lid off (assuming adequate power supply). Or you could add some sort of method to vent the heat. Otherwise you'd be basically enclosing a heater in the sub-trunk and it would never get all that cold.

Mine fits in the frunk. It’s 12 inches high. The Yeti Tundra is 15.5 Inches high and is too tall to fit under the cover for the sub trunk in back.

The Yeti is both larger and keep items cold much longer. My need is just for 10 hour day trips.

The Coleman 33 qt stackable(11.8 inches tall) looks like a nice intermediate between my flexible choice and a serious Yeti.

From my measurements, this will be 1" too tall. I think ~11" is max.
Yeah. I looked at the one linked and I think it's too high. I went with the smaller 24 can Coleman. I would've preferred something a little bigger but most things I looked at were too big, or $300-350.

Attachments

• 20200724_091618.jpg
    20200724_091618.jpg
    343.2 KB · Views: 1,561