Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooler to fit in M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a good cooler that can fit in the trunk? Although the trunk is large, especially with the covered space, the opening is a little small and no matter how I try I can't get a cooler in, unless maybe I lower the back seats and put it in that way. I am sure I could take the car camping but without a cooler for food and drink, it's not going to happen

You have a frunk and the back sub-trunk. You can fit flexible soft coolers in those. A medium Yeti is too big. I have a Coleman 50 qt I put it on the back seat, and fold the other side down for luggage. I just use it for snacks and water on long trips. And to protect groceries from hungry ill-trained pet dog.

Don’t know how much you need to store but what about a smaller 12v cooler to fit in the rear seat floor middle area if you only have two kids in the back. A small 12v cooler at least would be accessible for cold drinks. Otherwise any large cooler would have to be sent in through the folding rear seats into the upper trunk and be a pain to get out frequently.

The lower trunk is pretty small and not really that deep. I’m barely able to fit a small weekend Samsonite rolling suitcase in the lower trunk but effectively that’s it. The frunk is sloped so tough to fit much there unless they are flat things.

Last edited:
I haven't started my summer road-trip season yet, but didn't even think my cooler wouldn't fit into the trunk. It's big. Will have to test.

That said... there's no 12v "cigarette lighter" adapter in the trunk, is there? I see a market for a cooler that would drop right into that recessed trunk space and be hard-wired into power. Now that would be awesome!

Lacking the cigarette adapter anywhere in the car, I need to look for a cooler that will run on USB power. Wonder if there are any legit (i.e. they work well)ones that would work, guessing no honestly.

edit: Google tells me only single-item coolers exist for USB-based cooling, lol.

I hard wired a fridge/freezer in the back of my Land Cruiser, and I was thinking it would be super cool to get a smaller version for the Tesla. I have the ARB 63 quart size, but they make 2 that are smaller. You pretty much need to hard wire to a 12v battery though because it does have a pretty large draw when it's first starting to cool down, but once it's at the right temperature it only draws about 1 amp per hour. I ran 2 gauge wire back to a fuse block in the back via a circuit breaker to isolate it when it's not in use, and then I think the wire to the fridge from fuse block is around 8 gauge maybe smaller. It's the best for road trips and even just keeping things like your lunch or drinks cool all the time.

DVmdMVyML0oCnDqXyfffNpvJL3EYHjmLgjUmrY8Le6kirxNzoSJVrEv-_0ZSRAS2z8sGV00bEWbnj8ewOmwusrEvd0s6ETIX6gkOSYriTdnO8EEuzBnuxKDPJiSFgDSHGczCI-zYiw4gqIqPP-5XCjxfKAhg-t6jZMxXLKwVWSgh0ZtKZo-2I4h7ws_pWGWdi7j4dDV5GdqjoOaR2G76g3NghwWPq5zUwfWQ8b2HBrInl-uEDNqCTQb5H33qWLHx9_vzeoZCf-NMcyC6gxNQK7Jhv3Z4JpjJB3kCgHpfsrgdWT7lcepF2YBTgjBOAf5bju6urxgjFQb1wuV1ltmY4hkeTTPyKnlyvYzOaCgWMIqxLztQU7LdeCr3aeguV7LJU8dC22ihC-dLwXtSmpHmqNcti7XScTeRuaS-Zf7ushZNMEolh6WitM2cfZuBuoAjKEbzdcyxuYT1u2Fdd_GPgzXMkrs2LsraKEuzjPFRFxspXVKxGcGjgLEQPDiWtJfgtEYyj7y700pYURwNhcCGNvHFEqXnSVx1vxC1Q4K22XSKORsjUsMCawOa2TgmIBBYGcnRqUzH2v9lagGdWKRJAJU1M_Di9LBFeoo8uiDTGgorgnDRRrOJJVc8V7E_zKiQYIcXyGFvs58Sl-F8XMosFtJAtd9GaWbWPUB2OM0l_-kv0H4b0QwsEyWa-zuPTEbzGux3V3BNDrMLFA949In9RCTuvQ=w1454-h969-no

Reactions: coleAK and Tron 3
I picked up an Igloo BMX 52 ice chest that fits pretty much perfectly in the hole in the rear trunk, and can be maneuvered through the rear trunk opening at a slight angle. You have to leave the hole cover off (it can just be slid forward in front of the hole) since the cooler is taller than the depth of the hole. We just used this and it worked well. The worst thing is taking the fully loaded ice chest in and out of the trunk. The weight and angle make this awkward.

BMX 52 Qt Cooler