Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coolers for long weekend/week in trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently have a 62quarts on wheel cooler it fits but it's hard to get it in the small opening of the trunk without damaging the black interior trim...

Anyone found a cooler that fits comfortably with reasonable space (62quarts) that don't break the bank ?

@Watts_Up I removed the subfloor, was able to load cooler. Will be a bit cumbersome when cooler is loaded. Confirmed 17.5 inch cooler height. Picture with cooler "stuck" is when subfloor in-place, prior to removing.

Picture of loaded cooler with rear seat in "passenger" mode.

@Ther0ck yup I couldn't justify Yeti prices when RTIC has similar performance at lower cost

Attachments

• 71F6AEAC-54BF-4D0D-A027-35D457CAA5E1.jpeg
    71F6AEAC-54BF-4D0D-A027-35D457CAA5E1.jpeg
    431.5 KB · Views: 436
  • F7265B38-CE9F-418C-BD49-A243253E1175.jpeg
    F7265B38-CE9F-418C-BD49-A243253E1175.jpeg
    532.7 KB · Views: 265
Last edited:
@NorthStar7 @Ther0ck There was a post here on TMC referencing 12v coolers like IceCo T12 and IceCo Go20. Also Dometic and ARB seem to be camper favorites.

I might go the 12v route for my (eventual) Cybertruck. Here's a quick read: campaddict.com/12-volt-portable-refrigerator/iceco/

I don't want anything that pulls power from the car. I don't want another way to worry about battery drain.

I am debating between the RTIC 45 and the COHO 55 Quart Rotomolded Cooler from Costco. Both are just under 16" tall so they should fit in the trunk.

Currently have a 62quarts on wheel cooler it fits but it's hard to get it in the small opening of the trunk without damaging the black interior trim...

Anyone found a cooler that fits comfortably with reasonable space (62quarts) that don't break the bank ?

I can’t confirm as I am looking for the same thing, but one of the Wirecutter’s picks…the Igloo MaxCold 70 may do the trick.

The Walmart site has the dimensions as:

Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)​

29.50 x 16.50 x 15.88 Inches

Thanks for posting this. I really want to buy an RTIC 52 but I went out to measure and came to the same conclusion...the trunk is 1/2" too short.
I wonder if one could cut a 1/2” strip out of the cooler with a table saw and glue the now shortened cooler back together. There are sealants and industrial adhesives. I’d think it could be done without compromising the performance of the cooler much. Of course if you can buy the perfect cooler, that’s preferable. I’d whack a cooler in a heartbeat just to see if I could.

I can’t confirm as I am looking for the same thing, but one of the Wirecutter’s picks…the Igloo MaxCold 70 may do the trick.

The Walmart site has the dimensions as:

Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H)​

29.50 x 16.50 x 15.88 Inches
Weird can't find it on the website. I'll dig more later today.

I've also found some Marine grade coolers like the Igloo. It's under 16.5" tall and it's 72 qt.

Reactions: Not That M3
Weird can't find it on the website. I'll dig more later today.

I've also found some Marine grade coolers like the Igloo. It's under 16.5" tall and it's 72 qt.

I noticed that, too...which is why I was going off the dimensions on Walmart.com. Maybe Igloo has replaced the model?

Here are the links that The Wirecutter article has:

** Not sure why the "robot or human" is appearing...

I noticed that, too...which is why I was going off the dimensions on Walmart.com. Maybe Igloo has replaced the model?

Here are the links that The Wirecutter article has:

** Not sure why the "robot or human" is appearing...
I think they did. Can't find this model on Igloo website.

Either way, it's a good price for a weekend/week get away. It fits in the trunk opening comfortably with its 1" less high than what I have !

Either way, it's a good price for a weekend/week get away. It fits in the trunk opening comfortably with its 1" less high than what I have !

I ended up going with the RTIC 45 and received it yesterday. It fits perfectly. You can even open it a bit to access the contents without pulling the cooler out of the trunk. I didn't want a super long cooler and from the reviews/tests I saw online, it will keep things cold for a very long time. Being rotomolded, it's a little heavier and more expensive, but it seems very solid.

I have attached some pictures of the fit in my Model 3 trunk...

Attachments

• IMG_0570.JPG
    IMG_0570.JPG
    424.2 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    539.9 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0572.JPG
    IMG_0572.JPG
    382.4 KB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0573.JPG
    IMG_0573.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 215
I ended up going with the RTIC 45 and received it yesterday. It fits perfectly. You can even open it a bit to access the contents without pulling the cooler out of the trunk. I didn't want a super long cooler and from the reviews/tests I saw online, it will keep things cold for a very long time. Being rotomolded, it's a little heavier and more expensive, but it seems very solid.

I have attached some pictures of the fit in my Model 3 trunk...
Nice thanks for the feedback !

Reactions: NorthStar7