Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coolest Features of the Model Y - Thoughts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is our First Tesla and so far we have been blown away by all the amazing things this Model Y Does.

As we peel back the onion we continually find new an amazing things. Many of you this is your 2nd or 3rd Tesla.

I thought it might be cool to list our favorite features and ask you what yours are with the hopes of finding new and cool things that were not aware of. So please let me know what your favorite features are.

I will start the list (and once done compile it from the responses that we can share with our friends of why a modern Tesla ROCKS...

Here is the beginning of the List.

1. RAW Performance - This thing is super fast and not only 0-60 by 30-100, etc, etc. Power is delivered cleanly with no wait
  2. No Gas - Always have a full tank every morning when I go out to the car to go somewhere.
  3. No Need to stop/start car - Just get in and put it in gear or when you get home put it in P - Automagically
  4. No Locking of the car - It does it automatically when you get near the car and/or when you leave.
  5. Garage Door - opens/Closes Automagically whenever we leave/Get home. (We bought Homelink)
  6. Profiles - Car clearly conforms to my wife and/or myself and almost all of the attributes of the car are kept in each of our profiles.
  7. DOG Mode - We now feel safe taking our dogs with us everywhere :)
  8. Google Maps integration - the ability to on our phone use google maps to find an address and easily throw it to the car and go somewhere.
  9. The FRUNK - more space :)
  10. The amazing Glass Roof
  11. Software updates - it is like a iphone with new features all the time.
  12. The car that can drive itself.
I know there is a lot more- what am I missing

Thanks

I am a massive fan of Summon, I use that all the time on my new Y. Never have to worry about hitting the Subaru in my garage again. Just have it back itself out and good to go. Like you I am very impressed and this is our first EV.

It will be summer soon and my favorite feature might become yours, too: climare keep (similar to dog mode, I guess). Particularly on hot aummer days, being comfortable either leaving my AC on while I run inside for groceries or a quick bite or turning it on five or ten minutes before I get in and it's acomfortavle 68 degrees with no worries about battery life is pretty nice.

I didn't know where to put this. I've never owned a Tesla but now have 2 on order! I have a Cybertruck ordered for me (not this forum, I get it) and a Model Y for my wife. (right forum for this)
Anyway, I was trying to keep my wife interested while we await delivery... So, I looked through the Owner's Manual... and took notes... Here's what I did: (I can't add the file but will paste it here. It's a little long)

90 Things

By Ty Pope

I started this list as a quick guide for my wife as she probably won’t read through the Tesla Model Y Owner’s Manual even though we have a Model Y on order for her. It was supposed to be neat things that she’d be interested in. She was on the fence about ordering a Tesla but came around eventually. I wanted to keep her interest up while we wait and figured I’d see if I could find some things that were different than her Ford Explorer that she currently drives. I ended up finding a lot of things that I thought were interesting. Now, to be fair, I’ve never even touched a Tesla and have a Cybertruck on order. I found so much stuff in the 225 page manual that I thought I’d share for anyone else out there new to Tesla. There just happened to be 90 things I found or else I’d have called it by some other number. Enjoy!

1. You can change steering wheel effort

2. Mirrors can automatically tilt downwards when in reverse.

3. Mirrors can fold automatically when you walk away from car and they fold out when unlocked.

4. Auto down AND up… on ALL the windows

5. Can enable valet mode which limits speed, acceleration, locks glove box AND Frunk

6. Auto High Beam is a thing

7. Interior lights that were turned on turn off when the car powers off.

8. You can individually adjust each headlight. I guess if you want the Derpy look, you could do one up and one down.

9. Left stalk can do single wipe of window

10. Headlights automatically turn on if you use wipers!

11. When set to auto, wipers will determine optimal speed to wipe when liquid is detected (Beta)

12. When you spritz the windshield, the wipers wipe and then when you stop, they wipe 2 more times… then a few seconds later, they wipe a third time.

13. Brake disc wiping. In cold and wet weather, small pressure gets rid of water automatically.

14. Use the Low regenerative setting in icy conditions

15. You can set regen to Creep (like current car), Hold which maximizes range and reduces brake wear, or Roll which makes it roll when close to stopping

16. You can touch the camera icon to view the view from the camera at any time.

17. USB Flash Drive lets you tap dashcam icon to record most recent 10 minutes of video and this will not be overwritten.

18. Requirements for USB Flash drive: USB 2.0, 4MB/s sustained write speed. Property formatted as FAT 32 and must have a base-level folder called “TeslaCam”. 32GB of storage or more. (SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.1 Flash Drive, Samsung MUF-64AB/AM FIT Plus – 200MB/s USB 3.1 Flash Drive)

19. You can set it to automatically save the previous 10 minutes upon horn honk.

20. You can warm the cabin or defrost it from the app. It’ll also warm the battery

21. You can set the wiper service mode to ON which raises the wipers so they are against the windshield and can defrost if snowed in place.

22. Using seat heaters is more efficient than running heater. Cooler cab + heated seats is better.

23. Blue snowflake on display means battery is cold and until it is warmed up, it’ll be there.

24. It can take 25 miles for initial calibration before some features are available. There will be a progress indicator on the dash.

25. Using Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, you can push right scroll button left or right to change following distance.

26. Autosteer is a hands-on feature. You can initiate it when above 18 MPH unless there is a vehicle in front of you in which case you can initiate it at any speed, even zero. A gray steering wheel icon means it is available. It is blue when active.

27. Move gear lever fully down twice to initiate Autosteer.

28. If you don’t put your hands on the wheel, Autosteer disables for the rest of the drive.

29. You can change lanes by using the turn signal if your car is equipped with Auto Lane Change (yours is).

30. To enable Navigate on Autopilot, Controls/Autopilot/Navigate on Autopilot then, Enable at start of every trip

31. Speed Based Lane Changes

32. You can select whether or not you want to have to confirm all lane changes.

33. A single blue line in front of your car icon indicates Autopilot is active.

34. To Autopark parallel, pull one car length ahead, put it in reverse and hit Autopark.

35. Summon will pull out of a spot straight.

36. Smart Summon press either COME TO ME or GO TO TARGET.

37. Land Departure Avoidance Controls/Autopilot/Lane Departure Avoidance/ASSIST Vehicle will steer to keep you in your lane should you drift. WARNING Vehicle steering wheel will vibrate if you drift and a warning light will illuminate on the display.

38. If your vehicle is moving a lot faster than an adjacent lane, it will slow down.

39. You can set an offset speed (i.e. 5mph over the speed limit). If driving along and the speed changes while using Speed Assist, you can touch the speed limit sign to automatically change the set speed to the detected speed limit (plus any offset).

40. You can set the interior lights to Ambient Lights which makes them on whenever the headlights are on.

41. There is Screen Clean Mode which darkens the screen to facilitate cleaning it.

42. Acceleration: Chill limits acceleration making the ride smoother and more gentle. Standard or Sport provides normal level of acceleration.

43. Steering Mode adjusts effort to turn the steering wheel.

44. Automatic Navigation can automatically navigate to home or work during the week or navigate to appointments on your phone’s calendar if synced.

45. Trip Planner lets you plan your driving and charging routes.

46. You can increase security by requiring a PIN to drive the vehicle.

47. Cabin Overheat Protection reduces the temp of the cabin for a period of up to twelve hours. (it won’t go below 20% battery if enabled)

48. Name your vehicle by touching the Tesla T at the top of the screen then Name Your Vehicle.

49. If the Model Y detects no passenger, it closes their vents to save energy.

50. Cabin Overheat Protection - Controls/Safety & Security/Cabin Overheat Protection lets you chose Off, No A/C which blows fan only if cabin gets above 105 degrees, or ON which uses the A/C to keep cabin below 105 degrees.

51. You can adjust where the air blows by tapping on the blowing air on the display.

52. In addition to navigating, you can select I’m Feeling Lucky, Hungry Lucky takes you to a destination (museum, amusement park, etc.) while Hungry takes you to a restaurant.

53. A red pin on the map with a lightning bolt is an operational supercharger. If it has the “No” symbol and is red, it is either a non-functioning supercharger or one that is degraded.

54. A grey pin with an ‘A’ means the place is equipped with a Tesla Wall Connector.

55. When playing audio, the scroll up/down wheel on the left of the steering wheel controls volume

56. Caraoke. Yes, your car has Karaoke.

57. Authenticating your phone as a key does NOT pair it for hands-free use. Do that separately.

58. Touch the Bluetooth icon on the screen Add New Device/Start Search and then… you can figure it out.

59. Press the right scroll button to initiate voice commands.

60. To enter Sentry Mode, Controls/Safety & Security/Sentry Mode or, use voice commands “Keep Tesla safe”, “Keep my car safe”, “Sentry on”, or “Enable Sentry”.

61. Once you have homelink set up (pg. 146), you can set your garage door to Auto Open as you approach and Auto Close as you depart. (you can skip this any time you don’t want the door to function)

62. Enable mobile access to your Model Y Controls/Safety & Security/Mobile Access

63. You can use the mobile app to Turn Climate On which lets you precondition the cabin and turn on/off the steering wheel and seat heaters.

64. With the mobile app, you can vent or close the windows, lock or unlock Model Y from afar, Flash lights or honk to see where you parked, enable keyless driving, open front or rear trunk, enable or disable valet mode or sentry mode, enable/disable speed limit mode.

65. You can locate your car and Summon it.

66. With the mobile app, you can schedule a service visit and include photos, recordings, or videos.

67. To charge using an adapter, plug the adapter into the charge port first, then the charging station into the adapter.

68. There is no advantage to waiting till your battery is low to charge.

69. Operating range of the battery is -22 to 140 degrees. (don’t be above/below for more than 24 hours.

70. On Tesla charge cords, there is a button that opens your charge port as long as a phone or key is nearby.

71. To prevent unauthorized unplugging, if your car is locked and charging, the cord is locked in as well.

72. The charge port will close approximately 10 seconds upon removal of charge cord.

73. Charge Port Light: White – door is open and ready to get charged. Blue – connector has been plugged in.

74. When charging, you can select Scheduled Departure and specify a time you want the car to be ready and it will determine the best time to start charging to optimize energy cost savings, battery longevity. It will also precondition the cabin and warm the battery.

75. SUPERCHARGING You can log into your Tesla Account to view fees and details. Set up a payment and fees are automatically paid from your account.

76. Asymmetric Tires have the word “OUTSIDE” written on them and that must face away from the vehicle.

77. Use two hands to pull aero wheel covers off toward you. Align the aero cover so the notch at the base of the Tesla “T” is aligned with the tire’s valve stem. For the Gemini wheels, Press on the Tesla “T” in the center until the cap snaps into place. To remove the lug nut cover, use the tool or a little allen wrench placed in the groove around the Tesla “T” and twist away from the T and pull the cover off. (A paint can opener is the same)

78. To replace wiper blades, touch Controls/Service/Wiper Service Mode/ON to move the wipers into the service position.

79. Do NOT position lift arm pads under the Battery or side rails. There are specific spots for lifting the vehicle.

80. To see the VIN, touch the Tesla “T” at the top center of the touchscreen. There’s one behind the windshield and one on the left front door pillar.

81. Never put more than 130 lbs on the rear load floor.

82. The Model Y is 187” long, 75” wide (83.8” including the mirrors), and 63.9” tall

83. It weighs 4,416 lbs.

84. Oddly, the owner’s manual still says “Model Y is not equipped with towing”

85. The turning circle is 39.8’.

86. Tesla Roadside Assistance is available to you, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year for the duration of your warranty period. In the US, call 1-877-79TESLA (1-877-798-3752). This is also available by touching the Tesla “T” at the top center of the touchscreen.

87. DO NOT TRANSPORT WITH WHEELS ON THE GROUND. This includes car dollies.

88. When being pulled, activate Transport Mode Secure vehicle and then press the brake and touch Controls/Service/Towing. Press and hold the Transport Mode button until it turns blue. To cancel, shift Model Y into Park.

89. To then pull the car, install the tow eye. Press firmly on the top right perimeter of the tow eye cover and pull the cover out. Screw in the tow eye.

90. You can also pull from the rear following the same procedure unless your vehicle is equipped with a hitch receiver.

But wait, there’s more! Below is a list of the Easter Eggs that have been discovered so far and how to access them. To access all discovered Easter Eggs, touch the Toybox icon in the application launcher.

clip_image001.png

I did not read through the entire list, but a lot of them are not really unique, and can be done in one way or another by the two last vehicles I had. What I would really like is a dedicated control stalk for the wipers like any other car out there. And unlike the Model Y both of these had steering wheel heating :)

Still waiting for my Model Y in spite of that.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
Cool. One tiny change on #63: There is no steering wheel heater.
That may be true but page 152 of the Owner's Manual says --
"Turn Climate On: This allows you to precondition the cabin by moving the direction of air flow from the vents, and turning on or off the steering wheel and seat heaters."

To be fair, I've found a couple of inconsistencies along the way as well:
Page 187: "Model Y is not equipped with towing." but I ordered mine with the $1,000 towing package. Hmm...

Reactions: rxlawdude
Given the ever constant changes/improvements that Tesla makes to all of the model lines, I think it’s safe to write that the owners manual will always contain “inconsistencies”....a small price to pay in my opinion for the ever growing list of advancements that we’ve all come to expect on a near monthly basis. Stay healthy everyone.

• Helpful
Reactions: Berkshire1
I would think it odd to talk about a heated steering wheel in the owner's manual if the car never had one unless it was about to get that... Unless, they copied the manual from the M3 and someone missed the heated steering wheel line.

That’s an impressive list - thanks for sharing it.
I'm glad you liked it. I put it together for my slightly apprehensive wife to help get her excited a bit for her new car. She was kind of on the fence. Her squeal when we got our VIN was proof I succeeded. I decided to share the list so others could check out the things I found different from other cars we've had.

Reactions: Jtheorry