Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooling louvers cycling every time I plug in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This seems like new behavior. I have a 2016 85D. In the last couple weeks or so, I noticed a groaning noise every time I plug in my car in my garage. I finally figured out what it was. The cooling louvers in the front fascia fully open, then fully close, then partially open. Does this happen for everyone?

This seems like new behavior. I have a 2016 85D. In the last couple weeks or so, I noticed a groaning noise every time I plug in my car in my garage. I finally figured out what it was. The cooling louvers in the front fascia fully open, then fully close, then partially open. Does this happen for everyone?

Yep... just noticed this too. You will also notice it if you happen to be near the car and activate the HVAC via your phone... even in sub-freezing temperatures. Seems each new firmware release fixes some bugs and adds new ones.

My car does this too. I'm adding it to my list for the next time I go in for service.

Starting to wonder if this is perhaps a "feature" and not a "bug". It could be problematic if these louvers didn't open in the heat when really needed, so perhaps this is just a little test each time the car is used to make sure they will work when needed. It could pop up a "Needs Service" message if they malfunction during the test. Just a thought.