Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooling louvers never open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have never seen my cooling louvers on the sides open. 2015 S85. Everything on the car works fine. AC is cold, and it supercharges up to 115kw peak and then drops like all the other older cars.

How do I check if the louvers work fine? Is there a way to make them open and close? It's been bugging me for a long time and I just want to know if they work! :D

I have never seen my cooling louvers on the sides open. 2015 S85. Everything on the car works fine. AC is cold, and it supercharges up to 115kw peak and then drops like all the other older cars.

How do I check if the louvers work fine? Is there a way to make them open and close? It's been bugging me for a long time and I just want to know if they work! :D
From my limited understanding of the cooling system, the louvers primarily open when the battery needs passive cooling. In other words the battery needs cooling but ambient air should be sufficient. This is a fairly narrow set of conditions, so it is no surprise we don't see them open often, especially in the cooler months.

They will usually open during supercharging.

Reactions: rickyjb
How do I check if the louvers work fine? Is there a way to make them open and close?

Try setting the HVAC to Auto and the temperature to "LO" (turn the temperature down as low as it goes). It might take a minute or two for them to open up.

This has worked for me before, but like any Tesla vehicle behavior, it's subject to change in later software versions.

Reactions: nativespinner
Do they open when first plugged in or through the session at random times?

Mine have not been open during supercharging, even when the condenser fans turn on full power, and even last summer when it was 90+ Fahrenheit. Tesla service has done a thermal test of the system since I noticed this happening, and it checked fine.

Yet the left louver opens all the time, when it doesn't need to, when I wake the car, in the middle of the night hours after driving; no idea why, and a few weeks ago I asked a different mobile technician about it and he says it does on his 2015 85D also.

If you want to see the louvres open just watch the car go through the next software update; you will see them both open and close, as well as all 4 door handles along with everything else the car tests when it updates. If they don't I would contact service centre.

They will open briefly even if they're not needed when you first start supercharging. If they don't, then they are defective. My passenger side broke once limiting my supercharging speed for 6 months before I realized the issue.

Haven’t checked yet because I’ve been driving much. The reason I was worried was due to limited supercharging speed but I can still get over 100kw at the supercharger and I heard if they are defective you won’t get over 60.