Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cooling louvers never open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah my supercharging follows the usual taper that older 85kwh cars have these days. Starts super high at Low SOC and tapers to like 60 kW when the battery is about half charged. Sucks but it seems to be normal for the cars now.

That does seem to be about normal for legacy 85s with V10.

My 2015 85 with 114K miles charges at 74KW at about 50% but I'm still on V8. When it was brand new, it was 80KW at 50%.

Reactions: rickyjb
When my louver door actuator failed a year or two back, my cabin AC would not cool effectively on a warm day. So, they operate for normal cooling, not just when charging. When I made my appointment to get the car serviced (not knowing what had failed, but only that the AC was sub-par), Tesla could tell from the logs what part was not operating and ordered replacements before I even got to the shop!

Supercharged today 94 degrees outside. Everyone’s louvers we’re open other than mine. They never opened when I plugged it in, checked halfway and checked at the end. But my supercharging speeds are fine. I don’t understand. The cabin cools just fine. I had it set to 75 and it was super comfortable.

I am out of warranty and I’m not looking to pay for repairs if I don’t need them. Can tesla check my Logs remotely or will I have to pay them a diagnostic fee to see if mine have failed?

Supercharged today 94 degrees outside. Everyone’s louvers we’re open other than mine. They never opened when I plugged it in, checked halfway and checked at the end. But my supercharging speeds are fine. I don’t understand. The cabin cools just fine. I had it set to 75 and it was super comfortable.

I am out of warranty and I’m not looking to pay for repairs if I don’t need them. Can tesla check my Logs remotely or will I have to pay them a diagnostic fee to see if mine have failed?

One of my louvers would not open, Tesla fixed but think it was a $400ish job, had to pay that diagnostic fee.

Saw somewhere that it's relatively easy to do and the part pre 2016 parts is 200ish on ebay

I had a problem with my louvers not opening when I first got my car. The AC would cool ok but it sure made a loud fan noise, externally. It was supercharging that made me notice the problem - my car always made such a loud fan noise during supercharging compared to my neighbors at the Supercharger.

Tesla replaced both louvers under warranty and the problem was fixed. Actually, they only had one of the louvers on hand and had to order the other one, which took several weeks. During that time my car was “winking” with only one louver open during Supercharging or high AC load. But the fan noise was much improved even with only one functioning louver; my car wasn’t straining and gasping for air quite so hard.

Guys, I need your help!

Tesla tech came out to do recall work. I asked him if there were any faults and he said no faults in logs but he would do a thermal test but couldn't due to time constraints. As he turned on the AC both louvers opened! I took pictures to have proof, but they both opened. He broke my windshield while doing the recall so I had to take it into tesla to get it replaced.

While at the service center for windshield replacement, they ran a thermal test and just texted me a 495 bill to replace the louvers. I find this a bit odd because there were no logs before (it seems other people already have it logged in the system) and I saw the louvers physically open. Seems more like a connection issue or software issue? When I saw the louvers open, they did so smoothly with no weird noises.

I went to the supercharger today and outside temp was 90F.....my charge rate was 166kW and approx 475 mph......the louvers I dont think were opened because the fan was not on......when I left and drove about 200 feet, the fan came on and made a loud fan noise....ok.....I drove home (2.5 miles) and the fan was still running.....I looked to see and the louvers were closed.....after about a min, the fan stopped.....

sometimes when I get in the car and turn heat on, I hear the fan start.....how can I check to see if the louvers are open.....when supercharging can I get out and look?....the first time I supercharged, I heard the fan come on.....but after that I have never heard it until today......you think I have a problem?.....thanks in advance for any assistance

Ok if you're SC at a high speed your louvers prob work fine.
To check if the louvers work when you plug in the car at home, a few seconds after you plug in the louvers will "self test" by opening and closing.
Also of your louvers aren't working you'll run into issues like I had before I changed out all 3 of them, you an ref this below thread about that.

battery cooling question