Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Copiague, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

theflyer

Supporting Member
Feb 1, 2015
Northern Virginia
Starting a new thread from here: Long Island, NY Supercharger locations 2019

I just found a pre-digging, utilities search&status request on behalf of Tesla for a location that could qualify as either the Wantagh or the Bay Shore supercharger. It's in between them but a bit closer to Wantagh, at the Target or QuickChek on Sunrise Highway in Copiague. Link to ticket

Address: 1147 Sunrise Hwy, Copiague, NY 11726

My guess for the exact area where the chargers would go in the parking lot is marked HERE. Given that the utilities search was called for at the end of April, it's probably worthwhile for someone local or otherwise in the area to go swing past and scope out the whole parking lot (including the rear of Target/Home Depot) to look for any active construction.

Address: 1147 Sunrise Hwy, Copiague, NY 11726
Permit: Link to ticket
Likely but not yet confirmed location: HERE

FYI: @Chuq @BlueShift

Thank you. Looks like a good location. Much better than Wantagh.
What’s wrong with Wantagh? The purpose of Superchargers is to be close to major highways, to facilitate long distance travel. Copiague will be on Sunrise Highway, near Rte.110. Wantagh could have been on Sunrise Highway between Wantagh Parkway and Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway. In that regard, the Wantagh location wins, big time.

What’s wrong with Wantagh? The purpose of Superchargers is to be close to major highways, to facilitate long distance travel. Copiague will be on Sunrise Highway, near Rte.110. Wantagh could have been on Sunrise Highway between Wantagh Parkway and Seaford Oyster Bay Expressway. In that regard, the Wantagh location wins, big time.
I've driven around the area and looked on Google maps...I can't find any large shopping centers in the area that can fit chargers that won't be immediately ICE'd. Unless you want them at Jones Beach...

I've driven around the area and looked on Google maps...I can't find any large shopping centers in the area that can fit chargers that won't be immediately ICE'd. Unless you want them at Jones Beach...
SCs are not always around shopping centers, let alone “large” ones. JFK Airport and the superchargers (now dismantled) at the Syosett Service Center are two cases in point. At any rate, when Tesla mentioned Wantagh as a location, several years ago now, I am assuming that they had one or two physical locations in mind. I can think of a few places that would work. If ICEing became an issue, it would just have to be enforced. Depending on signage, it can be a ticketable offense. BTW, I have no problem with the Copiague location, it just doesn’t follow the normal reasoning for SC locations.

@ZBayChris well, Syosset is closed, and JFK is difficult. Outside of that, all the other ones on Long Island are at shopping areas or a restaurant. The idea is for you to have somewhere to go while you wait.

Anyway, another reason why this is could replace Wantagh is bc the current Plainview SC was always listed as Hicksville. A good 10 minute away. The Hicksville coming soon then disappeared.

JFK Airport and the superchargers (now dismantled) at the Syosett Service Center are two cases in point.

Both these SCers are bad examples.

Syosset bc while useful was basically almost a "prototype" SCer built into a gallery and service center with more to follow... they would have built it wherever their local gallery was.

and JFK b/c it located in an airport, which, perhaps somewhat counter-intuitively is actually a very easy location to get all the permitting and paperwork in place precisely bc it is an airport. they put in there even tho it really doesn't help anyone needing either long distance travel, or local SCing. they put it there bc it was easy to do... and they were testing the build out.

I personally find Savannah SCer to be a terrible location, but again I get it -- it's at an airport -- so you only have to deal with a very specific bureaucracy in order to get it built. that they gave Tesla owner an hour of free parking at said airport in order to use the SCer was a nice touch.

I remember fondly when CT had a disproportionate number of SCers and that was simply bc it was easy to get them built there.

remember, there are a multitude of factors of why a site is chosen for SCers.. not least of all getting permission to build there.

over time it becomes obvious which sites are useful and helpful to tesla owners, and which sites were just built bc it was easy to do so and they might get occasional use.

personally I found Syosset much much more useful than both Plainview and Islandia. (easier to get to from NYC with less rated range in the tank.) On Tuesday night (7/2/19) the Plainview exit on the LIE east-bound was blocked off.. thankfully I had the remaining rated range to get to Islandia, so I didn't sweat it.. but its been an interesting couple weeks in terms of Long Island SCers.. so I say, the more the merrier.

the in-car MCU said that 2 stalls at plainview were occupied when the exit was closed.. and I might have been able to drive to a further exit and double back. but islandia proved a viable alternative, particularly since I was headed east in any case and had the range to get there.

I’m not sure why my mentioning of JFK and Syosset are bad examples. Bad examples of what? I only mentioned them to Snow Drift because he was looking for potential , future SCs near/in shopping centers. I was merely giving two local examples where they were placed no where near shopping centers.
Interesting that you mentioned Savanah. I agree that the location is no good from the standpoint of traveling on I-95. We’ve actually charged up there several times on our four round trips to S. Florida. We’ve “slept” in the car there at least twice. I wish Tesla would put another SC location between there and Santee, S. Carolina. That’s a fairly long haul. Particularly if conditions are not conducive to range efficiency.

An updated utilities locate request for this location was called for on 2019-09-05: ticket # 192482405.

Basically the same location, but now looks much more definitively like it's for the area nearer or around QuickChek as opposed to Target. If someone in the area has a chance to swing by again, look for little flags or fresh paint markings on the ground to identify the exact spot if there isn't an obvious construction site or fenced off area.

Here is a pic from the FB group.

7BA1A834-DD30-42D6-AC0A-9431543E1315.jpeg

As a visitor to this area I checked out all the local Superchargers listed in the supercharger app which lead me here. There appears to be one person trolling all the Long Island locations on the App, filling the POI,,Check In, and Comment areas with personal hate for Tesla and the local areas. This doesn’t give visitors looking for genuine help from the Supercharger App a very good impression of the area. There didn’t seem to be a way to contact the App provider to have these bogus “Points of Interest” etc. removed so I am posing this problem on the discussion link.

As a visitor to this area I checked out all the local Superchargers listed in the supercharger app which lead me here. There appears to be one person trolling all the Long Island locations on the App, filling the POI,,Check In, and Comment areas with personal hate for Tesla and the local areas. This doesn’t give visitors looking for genuine help from the Supercharger App a very good impression of the area. There didn’t seem to be a way to contact the App provider to have these bogus “Points of Interest” etc. removed so I am posing this problem on the discussion link.
What app are you talking about? PlugShare doesn't show bad comments and the Tesla app doesn't have that functionality.