Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Copied from the Australian section

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Wol747

Aug 26, 2017
Tea Gardens
Obviously here in Australia we don't have beta but as far as I'm aware the FSD is similar (apart from the driving side) and I wonder if anyone in the US can shed light on this behaviour since there are so many more "S" owners here.

I had an out and back of 55Km each way yesterday and since Mrs* wasn't with me I used the autopilot. (Yes, I know, but it's a convenient term.)
On the way out (this is the A1 North of Raymond Terrace) there were several slight PBs, most of which were anticipated such as when a parallel road displayed a 60Kph sign.
Returning, using NOA all was well until the car went into the overtaking lane to pass a double truck: the truck showed red as expected and as I drew alongside it my car said it was about to return to the slow lane and suddenly did what was almost an emergency brake. There was a car following me but he was a hundred yards behind so there wasn't a danger of getting bashed from behind but he must have wondered "what the ***".
A few minutes later outside the NOA area but still on the motorway EVERY time I overtook it changed lanes reasonably well and then, when initiating the return to the "slow" lane halfway through the lane change it violently - and I mean VIOLENTLY - swerved back into the fast lane when halfway across the divider. This happened probably half a dozen times before I just gave up. God knows what the cars following thought about my driving.
That's happened fairly frequently in the past but yesterday it was every single time.

* I'm not allowed to use the a/p when she's in the car for what are now obvious reasons.

The reason I copied this to the US/model S forum is because I'm wondering if this lanechanging swerve could be anything to do with the programming of the right hand drive models, and I'd be interested if people in the States have had the same experiences?