TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Cops don't like losing to a Model S!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by chriSharek, May 24, 2015.

1. chriSharek

chriSharek Member

#1 chriSharek, May 24, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2015
    So the local TESLA STORE let me take a P85D home for my birthday since I ordered mine earlier that day. We went to the grocery store this morning and on the way home, I pull up to a light and a Deputy Sheriff pulls up next to me (pole positions and his lane ends in 1/4 mile). NOT in insane mode, I floored it - right up to the speed limit of 45 mph. I absolutely blew the doors off his cruiser.
    Apparently, he didn't appreciate that. He pulled me over.

He asks me for my name, address, and date of birth and heads back to his cruiser.

Comes back and says he could cite me for an "unsafe start" @ $160 ticket. But, is citing me for not having my driver's license - $110 ticket, but will be $10 administrative fee if I can go downtown with my DL and show it.

But, here's the kicker. He wrote the ticket for another person that lives up in St. Pete! Some poor guy also named Robert (I go by my middle name Chris) up in St. Pete now has this on his record! Different name, different address, different date of birth than what I spelled out for the cop! I'll head downtown on Tuesday and hopefully get it straightened out.

Thought everyone here would appreciate this story. I'm 3 months away from my Model S and I've already gotten pulled over! I haven't had a ticket in 5 years!

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Congrats?:). Crazy story. Did you floor it or just normal quick start.

3. mynameisjim

mynameisjim Member

Why would you do that?

4. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Unsafe start? I could see display of speed, but my S always seems pretty controlled. Unless you floored it of course, then I could see some tail-wagging.

Either way, not something I'd do right next to a cop, unless he gave me the nod and grin.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

As a soon-to-be Tesla owner, one of the first things to know in telling Tesla stories is there is no such thing as a "local dealership". You bought the car at a Tesla store. That's one of the great things about Tesla-- direct sales, no dealers.

6. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I can't believe you did a max acceleration run (even in Sport mode that is very quick in a P85D) right next to a law enforcement officer on a surface street. That can easily be interpreted as reckless driving.

You are lucky the fine was relatively small.

7. caddieo

caddieo Member

This^^^^. I , too, am puzzled as to why you would do this especially since his lane was due to end and he had to shift. Does not reflect well on other Tesla owners/drivers.

8. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

It completely sucks, but most cops simply do not see the humor in anything that might even remotely be construed as challenging their "authority". Be glad he didn't call for backup and started shooting up your car. While some cops are great and cool, you never know when you'll get an *******, and *******s with guns who believe they have the right to use it are not to be trifled with.

There was another story here of a person gunning it on a freeway on ramp with a cop near them - same result, they were pulled over, but in that case the cop just wanted to chat.

So yeah, totally within the law, and you would have been able to fight the unsafe start BS (but of course, not the driver's license thing), but it isn't worth the risk of a situation that spirals out of control.

9. MarkR

MarkR Member

The cop wasn't "losing to a Model S" because he wasn't trying to race . . . even up to 45mph. I'd say you just lost to a cop . . . even in a P85D.

10. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

U R crazy dude. Could have lost your licence for a long time if the cop was in the mood for it. Just because you're below the speed limit doesn't mean you can accelerate as fast as you like, on a public street.

11. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

Yeah, poor choice to accelerate like that in such a scenario. With a cop anywhere in the vicinity, I'm the very-well-behaved-kid-on-the-block.

12. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I bet the OP didn't expect this outcome from his thread.

13. capt601

capt601 Vin02324

Another thing to add to the list " only in Florida".

14. artsci

artsci Sponsor

This is so right. Always be courteous and polite, and especially give cop cars the right of way. You "road raged" the cop -- not good.

15. SW2Fiddler

SW2Fiddler Bannd Member

Happy Birthday.

16. Phil K

Phil K Member

This is unwise to say the least. The cop could make it a very memorable birthday of you.

17. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

On the other hand, I have no problem passing a cop who is travelling 5mi/hr under the speed limit - even though often there are 50 cars behind the cop who it seems are either in a rally or too scared to pass a cop ever. My passing, however, is very carefully cruise-controlled right at the speed limit or maybe 1 mi/hr faster. :scared:

18. Just a Reader

Just a Reader Member

At least the Tesla doesn't backfire, so no reason for the cop to start shooting because he felt "threatened".

19. SeminoleFSU

SeminoleFSU Member

Exactly. People are getting shot interacting with Police in less stressful situations. Don't be an idiot and taunt the Police State, you could end up paying a lot more than $160 federal reserve notes

20. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

Is this common? Has anyone else had this experience?