Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cops don't like losing to a Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP opened the door when he stated he had no issues with authority and decided to come off as an innocent in all of this. Finding public information to address credibility of a poster, or to disprove something a poster claimed, is normal practice in this forum. It's done all the time, especially when we think we have a troll on our hands. It's okay when others do it, apparently. :)

Appreciate the backup, Bonnie. I'm surprised by how many feathers get ruffled over something as simple as a google search.

You are right. I am wrong. Can we move on now?

Yeah . . . I'm so very lucky. :cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Why would buy these cars and not use them! Come on!?

- - - Updated - - -

And when you drive your car slowly, I feel THAT reflects poorly on other Tesla owner/drivers (LIKE ME).

To each his own.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks! I appreciate that! The point of the OP was to share the fact that despite my every effort to be as courteous and polite and provide EVERY ounce of information, he still got it wrong. THAT is called Karma.

I like "spirited" driving also; I just don't do it in front of cops. When you "show out" in front of the police, you give them probable cause to stop you - they are going to want to check you for DUI, drugs, etc. They have to.

I like "spirited" driving also; I just don't do it in front of cops. When you "show out" in front of the police, you give them probable cause to stop you - they are going to want to check you for DUI, drugs, etc. They have to.

I have a Sheriff as a neighbor. Even he said the guy who pulled me over was just mad because I embarrassed him. It was all about his ego (and badge) versus mine. Got it out my system relatively unscathed. I'm happy for that. Next time will be somewhere other than right next to the cop.

Add the cost of your hourly rate * time you will spend charging on long drives + invconvenience of finding chargers.

<snip>

And yes, for that much money, it is a shame that you have to step outside in the cold, take your gloves off, and check each tire, one by one, AT A GAS STATION!

I get your main point - there are a few things that aren't included in the Model S that kind of raise eyebrows given the price. I agree (especially with tire pressure measurement!!), although someone on TMC pointed out to me several months ago when I made the gas station comment that one can use a cheap 12V air compressor and check/inflate tires anywhere. Since I had purchased a compressor with the car for *ahem* something that hasn't happened yet and I don't want to jinx it *ahem*, and STILL went to a gas station every week or so for the tires, I should probably post *that* on the "Idiot Tesla Moments" thread.

But I have to take exception to the charging time and inconvenience comment. Mainly because of the FUD that non-EV people have about using EVs. They take comments like that and use them as proof that there's no way EVs will EVER be practical or useful. I've taken a few long trips, and I've come to the conclusion that the time spent charging at superchargers on long drives (usually, 20-30 minutes) is actually a *benefit* from the "less fatigue" perspective. It makes a huge positive difference, and only adds 1-1.5 hours to the day. I remember TV ads in the 60's or 70's saying "Arrive Alive" by taking breaks -- yeah, right, who ever does that on an ICE trip -- I never did. But now that those breaks are sort of forced, I actually find them highly valuable. I now think it's a way better way to travel.

I've just realized this has nothing to do with the OP. Sorry about that.

I have to take exception to the charging time and inconvenience comment. Mainly because of the FUD that non-EV people have about using EVs...I've taken a few long trips, and I've come to the conclusion that the time spent charging at superchargers on long drives (usually, 20-30 minutes) is actually a *benefit* from the "less fatigue" perspective. It makes a huge positive difference, and only adds 1-1.5 hours to the day.
Strongly agree, except that I find the time spent charging adds almost no additional time during an all day trip compared to driving an ICE.

For example, on the San Francisco to Los Angeles drive that I do a few times a year, charging adds less than 10 minutes of time to the trip. On Interstate 5 in the Central Valley I always used to stop for at least 10 minutes at each of the three state-operated rest stops to stretch my legs and maybe use the bathroom, make one of those stops a longer lunch break (I prefer to pack my own lunch), and then there was a gas stop.

Now, I stop at both Harris Ranch and Tejon to charge, and maybe snack at Tejon. I may make one other short stop somewhere to stretch and snack. I hate to sit for more than 90 minutes at a time.

Overall trip time is basically the same, ICE or EV.

If you are the type of driver that can sit and drive for multiple hours at a time, then sure an ICE trip will be somewhat faster. But that's not a healthy way to travel, and the time saved is minimal.