Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cops don't like losing to a Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Exhibition of speed" sounds like an offense you would find here in Norway. Seems well aligned with the Law of Jante, which is a side of our culture here, sadly.

But luckily there's no punishment for an "exhibition of speed". Instead reckless driving is punished harshly, as well as speeding. Mere acceleration doesn't break any law.

Still, I probably wouldn't floor it if a cop car was three feet away.

Although I could probably walk away from this without doing a thing, I will be rectifying it on Tuesday and paying my $10 administrative fee.

You couldn't walk away from it without a guilty conscience. If you have one. Looks like you might, since you repeated twice you would not let the poor innocent victim suffer for your stupidity. I pulled in front of a truck the other night, and once we were both off the highway I saw it was a sheriff. So, not saying I don't do stupid things also, but its sure easier to see them when other people do them. But the people on this forum are a little self-righteous for my taste, by and large. You definitely picked the wrong forum to share a "I pissed off a cop" story. Although I guess you know that now! LOL!

I think its going to be harder than you think to straighten out the mess you made (oh, I get from your comments that you blame the cop who ticketed the wrong guy, but its your mess, like it or not). I hope you stick with it and make sure the innocent guy is cleared.

Hmmm. I guess I find myself on the side of the self-righteous on this one.

I hate to say this because I'm a speed demon in my S. But. THIS is why people like me have gotten pulled over twice for "speeding" and gotten a very high ticket like $615 last time and I was behind a logging truck going 60mph. (And the speed limit was 60mph) He said at least five times "well if you didn't drive one of these fast cars"

But the people on this forum are a little self-righteous for my taste, by and large. You definitely picked the wrong forum to share a "I pissed off a cop" story. Although I guess you know that now! LOL!

It appears most people were only asking 'why would you deliberately bait a cop?' & no lecturing about speed. Nothing self-righteous about that. Most of us DO enjoy the acceleration of our cars (I've gone through far too many rear tires on my Roadster as a result) ... but try to enjoy that benefit without deliberately getting pulled over. Boggles the mind.

Posting on a public forum could have unintended consequences:smile:

My thought exactly. Photo, confession, AND name.

Thought everyone here would appreciate this story. I'm 3 months away from my Model S and I've already gotten pulled over! I haven't had a ticket in 5 years!

Hi Chris,

Well, you now hold the club record.

Prior to this episode the previous record was to get a warning ticket within 17 hours of having the car delivered.

Getting a ticket 3 months BEFORE getting the car is going to be a hard record to beat. :rolleyes:

Larry

As far as I understand, exhibition of speed comes into play when the driver is one-of:

a) Engaged in a race against another vehicle, or against a clock/timer - not the case here
b) Doing it to impress or show off to someone - hard to argue that it's the case here

Some states also add:
c) Driving a vehicle to or beyond its limit - the car wasn't even on insane mode, which is provable from logs, nor did the wheels slip

So the cop may have written a ticket, but I'm not sure if it would be able to stand up in a court.

I kind'a wish one of these would make it to court though - would be interesting to see a case of these "fast" starts that are still way under the car's real power. "Yes judge, I know I was driving like Michael Schumacher in a souped up Ferrari F40.... but that only means I was driving conservatively to increase my mileage!"

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"Yes officer, I accelerated a bit quickly before but I don't think I went too fast (I was doing at least twice the speed limit).
"You were going way too fast but I was unable to measure your speed. Your fine would have been in excess of 5000 NOK ($800)"
I explained about drying my brakes after the wash and apologizing at the same time. He seemed uninterested.
"Are you married?" He asks
"Uhm... Yes I am". Where is he going with this???
"Promise me you'll buy your wife a nice gift worth what the fine would have been. Drive safely. Good night"
Whew.

I did by my wife a nice wallet the next week when I was traveling :)

Ha! The same thing happened to me. I was driving home about 1:00am from my cabin and just came off the highway onto a road by a small airport (so no cross streets) and I was doing about 100km/hr in a 60 zone when pulled over. I'm always polite to cops and I apologized and explained that I just came off the highway and lost perspective of the speed. Plus I said that it wasn't unsafe since there were no crossroads or driveways. He told me to wait, went back his car, wrote out the entire ticket, then wrote "WARNING" across it and gave me both copies only if I agreed to take my wife out for dinner with the money I saved. I happily agreed.

Then the next weekend when we were driving that same stretch of road my wife joked that she hadn't got her dinner yet and if she saw the cop she would tell him to give me that ticket!

As far as I understand, exhibition of speed comes into play when the driver is one-of:

a) Engaged in a race against another vehicle, or against a clock/timer - not the case here
b) Doing it to impress or show off to someone - hard to argue that it's the case here

Some states also add:
c) Driving a vehicle to or beyond its limit - the car wasn't even on insane mode, which is provable from logs, nor did the wheels slip

I looked at the California law. Exhibition of speed is a separate offense under the same law from racing against a vehicle or a clock.

23109. (a) A person shall not engage in a motor vehicle speed
contest on a highway. As used in this section, a motor vehicle speed
contest includes a motor vehicle race against another vehicle, a
clock, or other timing device. For purposes of this section, an event
in which the time to cover a prescribed route of more than 20 miles
is measured, but where the vehicle does not exceed the speed limits,
is not a speed contest.
(b) A person shall not aid or abet in any motor vehicle speed
contest on any highway.
(c) A person shall not engage in a motor vehicle exhibition of
speed on a highway, and a person shall not aid or abet in a motor
vehicle exhibition of speed on any highway.
In other parts of the law it points at 23109(c) as the definition of what exhibition of speed means for example:

(D) Exhibition of speed on a highway, as described in subdivision
(c) of Section 23109.

But I can't find anywhere they actually define what the heck an exhibition of speed actually is in the law.

Searching for Exhibition of Speed you can find legal sites that define it like this one:
VC 23109(c) is commonly referred to as “Exhibition of Speed.” To prove this charge, the prosecutor must prove that you drove a motor vehicle, and while you were driving you accelerated or drove at a rate of speed that was dangerous and unsafe, in order to show off or make an impression on someone else.

So it seems that it's much broader that what you're suggesting.

Other than the high price, I actually think the Model S would make a good police car. I'm surprised the Fremont PD doesn't have at least one token one with a D.A.R.E. wrap on it to take to schools & community events. :smile:

In one of the Model S Pictures threads, a forum member posted photos of his Model S with covert blue siren lights on it. No clue whether the PD/Sheriff's office owns his or he simply had lights installed on his personal vehicle for official duty.