Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cops don't like losing to a Model S!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My P85 is the first car I've had that was able to jerk away from the traffic light with alarming speed. I'm usually able to hassle the oncoming cars that think they are "squeezing through the yellow." Hardly anyone actually accelerates as fast as a Tesla does, and when I see people squeezing through the yellow, they're still in the intersection finishing up their business when their oncoming traffic (including me) gets to see a green light. However, I don't floor it in town, because generally, I'm putting myself at some level of risk due to not being able to survey the entire intersection for cars that may be doing a full-on "running of the red." Generally if you wait a few tenths of a second you are going to be able to do a much better survey of the situation before proceeding. This also happens to be the same type of acceleration that ICE cars do, because even when their drivers are going as fast as they can, they don't really move off that quickly.

I have been known to floor it from the traffic light when I'm in the middle of nowhere, or, I can see all the lanes leading into the intersection, and they're clear. Other drivers are the "random unknown" that you have to take into consideration.

So if you floored your P85D at a greenlight, perhaps you failed to exercise due diligence as a defensive driver - i.e. making sure the intersection was completely safe to enter - since someone else might have been running it and you'd be crashing into them.

That said, thanks for being so self-effacing that you still posted your story, as it was certainly fun to read :)

At least until criminals learn that all they have to do is flee at 90 mph until the cops run out of battery. :)

I know you've got a smiley on there but... ICE vehicles have their limitations on range as well. Law enforcement doesn't just have one vehicle to give chase with. If you're going 90 mph and running the cop out of fuel you've probably crossed into other jurisdictions, who will have more vehicles.

Searching for Exhibition of Speed you can find legal sites that define it like this one:

VC 23109(c) is commonly referred to as “Exhibition of Speed.” To prove this charge, the prosecutor must prove that you drove a motor vehicle, and while you were driving you accelerated or drove at a rate of speed that was dangerous and unsafe, in order to show off or make an impression on someone else.

So it seems that it's much broader that what you're suggesting.

But that's exactly what I said :):

b) Doing it to impress or show off to someone

Police officers don't get pissy because another car can out-accelerate them. Police officers get pissy when people break the law. It seems it was your ass that was handed back to you in the end.
Actually, I think this is overstating it. I think most officers get pissy when you are doing something dangerous, unsafe, etc. The distinction: breaking the letter of the law (going 1 over the speed limit) doesn't really upset an officer, but going 75 in a 25mph zone is something different entirely.

Similarly, the officer had a lane restriction situation imminent and you made it "interesting". I've had similar situations with BMWs and such in the lane next to me with traffic blocking their lane. Could I make them slam on the brakes? Sure. But I don't -- it's unsafe for them, or me, or both, in the end.

On the other hand, I have no problem passing a cop who is travelling 5mi/hr under the speed limit - even though often there are 50 cars behind the cop who it seems are either in a rally or too scared to pass a cop ever. My passing, however, is very carefully cruise-controlled right at the speed limit or maybe 1 mi/hr faster. :scared:

I was driving my pickup truck with a full size ARO cap on it (and California License plating) through South Carolina a dozen years ago, when I came up on a South Carolina State Trooper driving 5 mph below the limit. I had my truck on cruise control on exactly the speed limit, so slowed down, in case there was road conditions, upcoming accident scene, etc.... After following behind him for a couple of miles, I hit cruise resume, passed him, and pulled in ahead of him. He then turned on his lights, and pulled me over. He stated that he was pulling me over for not signalling my lane change ahead of him, but he would not be citing me. I ALWAYS signal lane changes. He then asked if I was driving from California, on I-75, and would I consent to opening up my bed cap, for no particular reason. Yup, that's what he said.
I later did some checking, and found numerous instances that this maneuver was performed on out-of-state drivers without a real probable cause, or to avoid the so-called profiling allegations, particularly on the I-75 corridor.

So, I NEVER speed up (even to the posted speed limit) to pass a pokey law enforcement vehicle I also have to say 'Hooray for GoPro and smartphones'.

Scotty

It's about doing the right thing and making the right decision, not necessarily about legality.

Like crossing a road. The driver should stop at the red light but that doesn't mean you can just walk without looking when the pedestrian crossing light turns green. The driver would lose in court, but you lose your life.

In CA, you would have been cited for "exhibition of speed" CVC 23109. I assume each state has their own equivalent.
Yep... when I lived in WA, when a coworker (w/a pretty powerful car) gunned it multiple times, I mentioned that coworker was in danger of getting ticketed. My coworkers laughed and didn't think that was possible.

I then cited that example where I had gotten pulled over in California many years ago from "taking off too fast" from a stop a sign. I didn't know a cop was around, but knew that cops often waited near there, watching for people not making complete stops.

What was I driving? A white 1993 Dodge Caravan (minivan) w/142 hp 3.0L Mitsubishi V6 engine and (IIRC) 3-speed transmission (not the beleaguered 4-speed Ultradrive). That's not exactly a muscle car even back then, let alone now.

Fortunately, the cop let me off.

Years later, I'd became aware of that CVC.

Last edited:
Yep... when I lived in WA, when a coworker (w/a pretty powerful car) gunned it multiple times, I mentioned that coworker was in danger of getting ticketed. My coworkers laughed and didn't think that was possible.

Washington doesn't have a exhibition of speed law like California does.

We have the following laws.

Due care (catch-all for anything imprudent, I put .400 here because the relevance here is mostly the similar due care language):
RCW 46.61.445: Due care required.

RCW 46.61.400: Basic rule and maximum limits.

Racing is Reckless Driving (with the weirdest wording I've ever seen, I really don't quite get the meaning of this):
RCW 46.61.530: Racing of vehicles on highways — Reckless driving — Exception.

Advertising of unlawful speed (which is somewhat amusing to me as well):
RCW 46.61.535: Advertising of unlawful speed — Reckless driving.

There used to be an excessive revving law for state parks that was an Admistrative Code but was repealed in 2009. But I suspect that didn't apply to your situation.

I imagine that you might get a due care ticket which is a $42 ticket for something like what the OP posted. Doubt you'd get a ticket for revving an engine at all here. Of course there may be local ordinances that are more restrictive.

Did anyone actually read the post? I didn't get the ticket. The deputy was so ignorant that he wrote it for the wrong guy!

Although I could probably walk away from this without doing a thing, I will be rectifying it on Tuesday and paying my $10 administrative fee.

I'm a little confused.

Where in what I wrote did I say you got a ticket?

No, you got a warning. I don't care about the ticket he wrote for the wrong guy because that wasn't what you were pulled over for.

Last edited:
I know you've got a smiley on there but... ICE vehicles have their limitations on range as well. Law enforcement doesn't just have one vehicle to give chase with. If you're going 90 mph and running the cop out of fuel you've probably crossed into other jurisdictions, who will have more vehicles.
aka, "Can't outrun a Motorola"

Washington doesn't have a exhibition of speed law like California does.

We have the following laws.

Due care (catch-all for anything imprudent, I put .400 here because the relevance here is mostly the similar due care language):
RCW 46.61.445: Due care required.

RCW 46.61.400: Basic rule and maximum limits.

Racing is Reckless Driving (with the weirdest wording I've ever seen, I really don't quite get the meaning of this):
RCW 46.61.530: Racing of vehicles on highways — Reckless driving — Exception.

Advertising of unlawful speed (which is somewhat amusing to me as well):
RCW 46.61.535: Advertising of unlawful speed — Reckless driving.

There used to be an excessive revving law for state parks that was an Admistrative Code but was repealed in 2009. But I suspect that didn't apply to your situation.

I imagine that you might get a due care ticket which is a $42 ticket for something like what the OP posted. Doubt you'd get a ticket for revving an engine at all here. Of course there may be local ordinances that are more restrictive.

Now that I think about it I don't know a single person who has gotten pulled over for this ever getting a ticket for it.

I hope I never get pulled over for this again, but if I ever do I'm going to be sure to ask him about what ordinance it is specifically. I checked all the RCW'd and I don't see it on any of them.

I think the cop just made up the whole bit about "excessive acceleration" when I got pulled over years and year ago for it.

U R crazy dude. Could have lost your licence for a long time if the cop was in the mood for it. Just because you're below the speed limit doesn't mean you can accelerate as fast as you like, on a public street.

Yes you can. I do it all the time and there is nothing unsafe about it.

I've taken off on cops to the speed limit and none have ever pulled me over.

0 to the speed limit is legal everyday fun.

Funny story, the cop clearly is a d*ck!