Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corded mobile connector back in stock at Tesla shop

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What the title says. 200 bucks and free shipping to your door. Try to get it here before you entertain the people here trying to get 100-200 over for a used cord.

It says 40A I thought the gen2 UMC maxed out at like 32A?
If you look at the manual link for the regular mobile connector the cover page shows it labeled as a Gen2 mobile connector and does show a max output of 32 amp, depending upon the connector that is used.

I agree that this corded version is showing max output of 40 amps, but the cover does not make any reference to Gen2. One could infer from this that this corded version is more akin to the original Gen1 UMC. In that case it's an interesting distinction between the corded and 'standard' UMC with pigtail.

Or it's just a typo in the manual that noone at Tesla caught !

If you look at the manual link for the regular mobile connector the cover page shows it labeled as a Gen2 mobile connector and does show a max output of 32 amp, depending upon the connector that is used.

I agree that this corded version is showing max output of 40 amps, but the cover does not make any reference to Gen2. One could infer from this that this corded version is more akin to the original Gen1 UMC. In that case it's an interesting distinction between the corded and 'standard' UMC with pigtail.

Or it's just a typo in the manual that noone at Tesla caught !
So I just double checked the page and the shitty gen2 one is still out of stock but this one is the Gen1. Hell at only $200 it's tempting to buy one so I have a backup if my current Gen1 ever craps out.

So I just double checked the page and the shitty gen2 one is still out of stock but this one is the Gen1. Hell at only $200 it's tempting to buy one so I have a backup if my current Gen1 ever craps out.
That's pretty much what I did. I like to keep my cord with swappable plugs in the car for emergency charging while I keep one of these plugged in permanently. Less wear and tear on the outlet and plug if you never unplug it.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Wasn't the gen 1 connectors prone to overheating and potential fires? If so, maybe wait for the gen2 UMC to be available as a backup.
This versus does not use an adapter of any form, but has a directly wired NEMA 14-50 plug.

I also am debating whether for $200 I go ahead and get one. This would allow me to leave my current Gen1 with adapter in my car (although I've never needed it on a trip over the last 6 years) and also have a back-up in case my original Gen1 UMC would decide to fail after 6 years of trusty service.

Reactions: GalacticHero
@Yankees its showing as in stock right now IF you dont want the nema 14-50 option and select just the 5-15 adapter option
I'm talking about the CMC, the Corded Mobile Connector (the permanent 14-50 which does 40A). I have two UMCv2 adapters, one from each car ;) But I would totally the the CMC if it ever came back in stock to leave in the garage permanently on my 14-50, IMO it's the best option short of a WC (and, actually, IMO it's better, because I like the flexibility of being on a 14-50 vs a permanent hardwire install, sacrificing only 8 extra amps, 40A vs 48A). Thanks!

Reactions: 2101Guy
I was signed up for notifications on this and never got it, anybody else in the same boat? What a bummer, I've been waiting for over 6 months for the CMC.
I have signed up for in-stock notifications on a couple of accessories that are always out of stock, and I have always gotten a notification when they are briefly back in stock. Maybe a spam filter got yours?

I have signed up for in-stock notifications on a couple of accessories that are always out of stock, and I have always gotten a notification when they are briefly back in stock. Maybe a spam filter got yours?
It’s weird because I’ve had alerts on other items in the store and got them (and actually managed to snag the items). And this one, which I really wanted for over half a year, didn’t work. I’m pretty sure I had alerts on two separate email addresses. Def not in spam as it’s worked before and I searched today. Oh well.

Reactions: DerbyDave