TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Corded mobile connector goes bad in less than a year

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by tnt1971, Feb 3, 2017.

1. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

i bought the corded mobile connector for my work location. I lock it in the plug with a small padlock. A few days ago I noticed the amps dropping after charging for a half hour or so. I took it to the Syosset center (their service is excellent by the way) and they repeated the condition. They said a resister went bad in the plug and when it gets hot it would throttle back the amps. They are replacing it for free but I wondered if this was a common problem.

They gave the plug back to me to use while the replacement ships and said it was ok to use in the meantime but I am concerned. They recommended I throttle back the amps to 30 to prevent the overheat condition from being triggered. You think that is safe?

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

I don't see why would that be unsafe as long as it charges. When it overheats, it would shut itself down.

3. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Tnt1971, if you charged outside in the rain with the mobile connector exposed, that may have caused the fault. It's best to make sure the electrical connections are protected while charging.

Glad they are replacing the unit for you though.

4. tnt1971

tnt1971 Member

The unit is outside, but the plug part is in a covered electrical box. No water gets in there. The resistor that went bad was in the plug itself.

5. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Good to know. Even though everything has been designed so you can actually charge in the rain (or snow), it's the outlet you plug the MC into and the associated weather covering that Tesla doesn't really have control over.