Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corded mobile connector goes bad in less than a year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i bought the corded mobile connector for my work location. I lock it in the plug with a small padlock. A few days ago I noticed the amps dropping after charging for a half hour or so. I took it to the Syosset center (their service is excellent by the way) and they repeated the condition. They said a resister went bad in the plug and when it gets hot it would throttle back the amps. They are replacing it for free but I wondered if this was a common problem.

They gave the plug back to me to use while the replacement ships and said it was ok to use in the meantime but I am concerned. They recommended I throttle back the amps to 30 to prevent the overheat condition from being triggered. You think that is safe?

...They gave the plug back to me to use while the replacement ships and said it was ok to use in the meantime but I am concerned. They recommended I throttle back the amps to 30 to prevent the overheat condition from being triggered. You think that is safe?

I don't see why would that be unsafe as long as it charges. When it overheats, it would shut itself down.