Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corded (NEMA 14-50) UMC Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see the corded UMC is currently out of stock and the price has been lowered from $520 to $400.

Can anyone hazard a guess as to what's going on with this MC? Could they be getting ready to update it with a 24 ft cable as they did to the WC two months ago? $400 is a fabulous price if you have a NEMA 14-50 outlet and want/need 40 amp charging and not having to plug/unplug the UMC that comes with the car.

Thanks in advance

The L14-50 Wall Connector made a brief appearance in 2019, and now the L14-50 Corded Mobile Connector is proving to be difficult to obtain in 2021. Either Tesla doesn't like chargers that support L14-50, or they simply underestimated demand for this charger. I suppose I could attach a boot and a L14-50 plug to a Wall Connector, but I'd much rather pay $100 less and get the same charging speed with the Corded Mobile Connector.

For some reason, I have always been a fan of Tesla's Corded Mobile Connector. Maybe it's because ot its simplicity and slightly higher power rating (than current mobile connector). But according to a non-scientific poll I took (Choosing A Tesla Home-charging Option) it may be the least most popular Tesla home charging accessory. If true, I speculate that this may be due to:
  1. Cost. $520 is pretty high, compared with the Gen 2 Mobile Connector and even with the Gen 2 and Gen 3 Wall Connectors.

2. Its label as a Generation 1 device. (Some people want the latest technology.)

3. The shorter (20') cord (compared to Gen 2 and, now, Gen 3 Wall Connector 24' cords).

4. For people who are OK using a plug-in cord (and some probably choose to avoid dealing with any high-power wall outlet at home), the Gen 2 Mobile Connector comes "free," and offers greater utility (with its optional adapter plugs), is only slightly less powerful, and costs much less to buy new (even with the optional NEMA 14-50 adapter).

5. Tesla doesn't promote its use as much as it does the wall connector's.
As I consider this list, the primary proximate reason seems to be cost. But the ultimate reason may be due to a canny marketing decision. After some early scares with shorts and small fires of NEMA 14-50 home outlets using Tesla plug-in equipment*, Tesla wants people to use its hard-wired wall connectors that encourage professional installation. What better way then to inexplicably price the Tesla Corded Connector higher than other Tesla mobile and wall connectors?

As to its lack of availability from the Tesla Charging webpage, who knows? Increase the length? Possible, I suppose. But my cynical self suspects that the next step will its removal entirely from the North American Charging websites (as happened with recently the Tesla CHAdeMO adapter). We'll have to see if that happens. (I'm actually surprised it is still listed for sale after all these years. Someone must be buying them.) If it were actually available to purchase, I would say that the lower price is intended to clear out remaining stock. But with it being sold out so much lately, I don't know what is going on. Maybe Tesla has ordered more or changed suppliers or something, and they will continue to be offered? As usual, we won't know anything until Tesla takes some definite action.
________
* I suspect due to poor outlet and wiring installations by homeowners rather than to the Tesla charging equipment. (Some people install cheap NEMA 14-50 receptacles that can more easily develop loose connections if not tightened adequately.)

Reactions: sodakar
I see the corded UMC is currently out of stock and the price has been lowered from $520 to $400...

FYI, here is a used one for sale on Craig's List. Maybe seller will (a) ship and (b) discount the price further? This is at least the second time I have seen this one for sale on my regional CL. Of course you'll want to be sure it is in good shape (e.g., ask questions, ask for more photos, etc.). It is missing the handy original round storage bag. I have occasionally seen those for sale on eBay. But if you keep the CMC more-or-less permanently plugged into a wall outlet (which is a good idea), no bag is necessary--maybe just a wall hanger for the cord.

I do not know and have no relationship with the seller.

Bumping an old thread. Sort of strange that they also lowered the price on this one to $200. Seems like a good deal for a potentially more reliable home charging solution than the gen 2, since it eliminates the extra connector that could fail. You could keep your UMC for travel only, and get 40A instead of only 32A.
I was actually waiting/wondering about a price drop. I might try to snag one of these now that it’s a bargain. I don’t really *need* 9.6kW at home, but this gives a little flexibility to if you find a camp site that has a 14-50. I actually think we’ll see more and more sites start to update and accommodate electric vehicles as more electric trucks show up. An extra ~2kW isn’t really make it or break it, but might go a long way to helping fully charge over night while also running the heat or stuff like that…

I was actually waiting/wondering about a price drop. I might try to snag one of these now that it’s a bargain. I don’t really *need* 9.6kW at home, but this gives a little flexibility to if you find a camp site that has a 14-50. I actually think we’ll see more and more sites start to update and accommodate electric vehicles as more electric trucks show up. An extra ~2kW isn’t really make it or break it, but might go a long way to helping fully charge over night while also running the heat or stuff like that…
I would probably do the opposite. Leave the fixed 14-50 at home and take the regular one with me, since who knows what kind of plugs I'll find? Although, for campgrounds I do have the 120V 30A TT-30 to 14-50 adapter. My old model S would charge at 120V 24A just fine....

I would probably do the opposite. Leave the fixed 14-50 at home and take the regular one with me, since who knows what kind of plugs I'll find? Although, for campgrounds I do have the 120V 30A TT-30 to 14-50 adapter. My old model S would charge at 120V 24A just fine....
Ya, I guess I don't really go out that blind. I probably would research for 14-50 locations first and pick my plans based on that. I was thinking out on the go the extra charge limit would actually be noticed or useful. Honestly at home most the time I'm going from 60% to 70% max... some days it's only like 4% recharge. I only drive about 10 miles a day, lol. The standard 14-50 with mobile cord is way overkill for 99% of my days when I'm home :p

Ya, I guess I don't really go out that blind. I probably would research for 14-50 locations first and pick my plans based on that. I was thinking out on the go the extra charge limit would actually be noticed or useful. Honestly at home most the time I'm going from 60% to 70% max... some days it's only like 4% recharge. I only drive about 10 miles a day, lol. The standard 14-50 with mobile cord is way overkill for 99% of my days when I'm home :p
Yeah same. I use a 6-20 at home. It's only not fully charged overnight maybe once or twice.

It's weird. You'd think if it was a dead product they would remove it from their website. But not only have have they not removed it, they recently reduced the price!

My wiring situation is such that that the max I can do is 40A. It doesn't make sense for me to put in a Tesla Wall Connector™ for $400, when a corded mobile connector will do the same for half the cost. Problem is, I can't order one!

the corded mobile charger was available last 2 weeks ago for only a day and been out of stock again, luckily I ordered 1 and just receive it
Nice. I thought I had the in stock alert set but didn't get the email. Does it still do 40A or has it been reduced to 32A like the gen 2 UMC? I'll order one when it gets back in stock to dedicate to home charging from my NEMA 14-50 outlet. Then I can keep my UMC for travel charging.

Nice. I thought I had the in stock alert set but didn't get the email. Does it still do 40A or has it been reduced to 32A like the gen 2 UMC? I'll order one when it gets back in stock to dedicate to home charging from my NEMA 14-50 outlet. Then I can keep my UMC for travel charging.

AFAIK it is still a "Gen1" device (like the original Gen 1 UMC), meaning that it is capable of charging at up to 40 amps, 9.6 kW (unlike the Gen2 Mobile Connector which can charge at up to 32 amps, 7.7 kW). (In the "old days" Tesla promoted charging at home using a properly installed NEMA 14-50 outlet. Eventually, Tesla switched to pushing use of its wall connectors, instead.)

Unfortunately, as of 07/27/22, it is still "out of stock" on the Tesla-North America websites.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Yes it’s still do 40A, now available in stock is the UMC with the 5-15 connector only

63EADCC0-3777-462E-8922-F5122ABDE784.jpeg

Reactions: n2mb_racing