Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cordless tire inflator with auto shutoff? Need recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree. Cordless is convenient but in an emergency, a dead battery on a tire inflator that was left in the glove box for 6 months wouldn't help at all. Cordless might be great for topping off at home, but in an emergency, it seems a powered unit would be better. On Amazon, all of the cordless units could not be plugged in at the same time as charging (even if there were 10 feet micro-usb cords.....).

I totally agree with you about not relying on a cordless for an emergency air fill up. I keep my Ryobi cordless inflator at home and, for emergencies, I keep a good, old fashioned bicycle pump in the trunk. It is the one type of air pump that is guranteed not to have issues with power supply :)

I totally agree with you about not relying on a cordless for an emergency air fill up. I keep my Ryobi cordless inflator at home and, for emergencies, I keep a good, old fashioned bicycle pump in the trunk. It is the one type of air pump that is guranteed not to have issues with power supply :)
Not only does my cordless DeWalt have 12VDC and 120VAC optional power sources I keep TWO batteries in my car. I believe having a compressor that only uses batteries is fine if you keep two batteries in the car. I would never buy an inflator with an internal battery.
And yes I was in a situation where my battery went dead, I put the second battery in that has the built in meter and finished inflating the giant spider float at the pool and made the kids happy and charged the other battery when I went home.

Watch out for one particular design flaw of many air pumps—the screw-on valve connector at the end of the pressure hose. As you unscrew it, you lose an indefinite amount of air.

What you want to have is a clamp-on connector that you can swiftly tear off while losing only a negligible amount of air. Without that you will never know the final tire pressure, and it will always be too low.

The Tesla Tire Repair Kit suffers from this flaw. Please tell me which of the small automatic pumps has a clamp-on design, because I will buy that one.

I need a recommendation for a cordless tire inflator with a digital gauge and with an auto shut off feature, so that the pump automatically stops once the desired tire pressure is reached.

I found this one from Ryobi:

RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless Power Inflator Kit with 1.5 Ah Battery and 18-Volt Charger-P737DKN - The Home Depot

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you,
joebruin77

I used to use my ex for this, but the auto shutoff feature was faulty :)

Watch out for one particular design flaw of many air pumps—the screw-on valve connector at the end of the pressure hose. As you unscrew it, you lose an indefinite amount of air.

What you want to have is a clamp-on connector that you can swiftly tear off while losing only a negligible amount of air. Without that you will never know the final tire pressure, and it will always be too low.

The Tesla Tire Repair Kit suffers from this flaw. Please tell me which of the small automatic pumps has a clamp-on design, because I will buy that one.
Unless you have brain trauma and sometime freeze for minutes and going to stuck at that 0.1 second where it looses air - that is at most going to be 0.01 psi difference that is way smaller than precision of inflator sensors. Clamp type is faster though and less reliable.

I use Xiaomi to fill up 1 psi above target and then deflate with Longacre gauge to what I need. That also gives air some time to cool down after compression. And Longacre gauge doesn't have any clamps or screws at all, so it's fast.

If we're talking about home compressor - 750-1500w oil-free compressors are cheap as well and much faster than those things, while comparable in size and can be also used for something else.

The fix for that is to inflate with the pump to 2 or 3 PSI above what you want, 4 or 5 even if you a particularly hard to unscrew valve. Let the car sit undriven for a few hours and then use an even higher accuracy gauge that isn't part of your pump. Let out air until you hit the number you want.

I did a LOT of research and determined that the Dewalt 20V MAX Cordless Tire Inflator was the best option. I already have several batteries I can use with it due to it using the same battery as some of my tools. It inflates tires very quickly as well.

It can be powered by AC, 12V or battery, so you don't even need to carry the battery in the car.

20V MAX* Corded/Cordless Air Inflator - DCC020IB | DEWALT

Reactions: elf9 and Atari2600
The fix for that is to inflate with the pump to 2 or 3 PSI above what you want, 4 or 5 even if you a particularly hard to unscrew valve. Let the car sit undriven for a few hours and then use an even higher accuracy gauge that isn't part of your pump. Let out air until you hit the number you want.

Sounds good, but the accurate digital gauges I know cannot release air and then instantly measure. Will have to find a better one.

It would be more convenient though if one device could do it in one go. Since the pressure corrections are usually small, I think a cool-down period is normally not necessary.

I did a LOT of research and determined that the Dewalt 20V MAX Cordless Tire Inflator was the best option. I already have several batteries I can use with it due to it using the same battery as some of my tools. It inflates tires very quickly as well.

It can be powered by AC, 12V or battery, so you don't even need to carry the battery in the car.

Did yours come with a battery? Most don’t seem to get one but mine had a small battery with no meter on it.

I love my Dewalt drill and I seriously considered getting this unit from Dewalt. The problem is that I have an incompatible older battery, so I would have had to buy a battery and a charger. Plus, even though it can be powered by AC, it does not come with an AC adapter. So if you want to run it on AC, that is an additional expense. By the time I added in the cost of the batter and charger, it was at least double the price of the Ryobi unit.

Did yours come with a battery? Most don’t seem to get one but mine had a small battery with no meter on it.

It's available either bare (no battery) or with a battery for more money. Since I already have 5 batteries, I opted for the bare units, and then added nice cases to keep it all safely contained in the under-trunks of our S and X. I don't carry the batteries in the car since they're not going to be used a lot and the pumps come with 12V leads.