Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Cordless tire inflator with auto shutoff? Need recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I had a chance to try out my new Ryobi tire inflator and I am super pleased with it. The battery took about an hour to fully charge. The tool was was very intuitive and user friendly. I simply hooked up the high pressure hose to each tire and adjusted the target pressure. The unit filled each tire to the target pressure and cut off automatically. I then went for a drive and the Tesla tire pressure indicator was exactly the same as the pressure indicated by the unit. So it does indeed appear to be accurate. I was able to top off the pressure on 8 tires in total with no problem.

The unit is listed on the Home Depot website for $98.98.

RYOBI 18-Volt ONE+ Lithium-Ion Cordless Dual Function Inflator/Deflator with 1.5 Ah Battery and 18-Volt Charger-P747KN - The Home Depot

The Milwaukee inflator with charger and battery will be on sale for Black Friday if anyone is still shopping for an inflator. $99 starting on November 8th:

Milwaukee M12 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Compact Inflator with 2.0 Ah Battery and Charger-2475-21CP - The Home Depot

Home Depot Black Friday 2020 - Ad & Deals
Decent deal, but if you do any kind of decent inflating you'll want a 4.0 or 6.0. I topped off my tires from about 37psi to 40psi and didn't drop a bar off my 6.0. I filled up my jet ski trailer tires, 4 of them, from about 28psi to 50psi and had 2 bars left. That would have eaten up a 2.0.

Why is cordless so essential?

I bought the Tesla tire repair kit. Used the compressor with the 12v adapter yesterday for the first time to add a few lbs.

Worked great.

Same reason why it is more convenient to have a cordless vac or cordless drill. I can fill up the 8 tires on my two cars faster without having to worry about plugging in the unit or managing the cord.

Reactions: TyH2009
I tried two different inflators that plugged in to the cigarette adapter in the car and both caused the circuit to short out before they inflated anything. And both were rated below the limit for what should be OK to use on a Tesla. Others tried the same units and had no problem. I can’t explain why it did not work on my car but I don’t want to have to worry about the circuit blowing when I’m on the side of the ride trying to inflate a tire.

I think it's because the 12V system has a limitation of around 12A continuous. Many 12V portable air compressors have specs that equal or exceed it.

And also the convenience factor. Do you still use or want a corded TV remote control?
You diss on the corded remote control, a.k.a. the "Cable Box," however, you fail to respect the sheer offensive power of a swinging cable box when used against an unsuspecting victim....a.k.a. my little brother...

• Funny
Reactions: cusetownusa
I tried two different inflators that plugged in to the cigarette adapter in the car and both caused the circuit to short out before they inflated anything. And both were rated below the limit for what should be OK to use on a Tesla. Others tried the same units and had no problem. I can’t explain why it did not work on my car but I don’t want to have to worry about the circuit blowing when I’m on the side of the ride trying to inflate a tire.
The user manual says don't leave it plugged in for more than 20 minutes.

Why is cordless so essential?

I bought the Tesla tire repair kit. Used the compressor with the 12v adapter yesterday for the first time to add a few lbs.

Worked great.
I agree. Cordless is convenient but in an emergency, a dead battery on a tire inflator that was left in the glove box for 6 months wouldn't help at all. Cordless might be great for topping off at home, but in an emergency, it seems a powered unit would be better. On Amazon, all of the cordless units could not be plugged in at the same time as charging (even if there were 10 feet micro-usb cords.....).

I do seasonal tires and they are always at least 15PSI below nominal after 6-8mos in storage.

The Porter Cable CMB15 1.5gallon tank compressor allows me to do four tires each in 5-10s (1-2 pressure checks)
with two reloads, each lasting about 15s, like having the gas station one in your home:

https://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE...r+cable+tire+compressor&qid=1604239320&sr=8-2

91WRu50pYGL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You should get a pair of shooting range ear muffs when loading the tank from the 120v outlet,
very loud but happens very fast. Also attaching a release handle to the pressure release valve
helps a lot.

Five years now, I am never going back to any cigarette plug or battery tankless compressor.

Last edited:
I have an investment in DeWalt tools and batteries so bought the DCC020IB which meets all your requirements, and also has a high volume inflator for things like air mattresses, etc.
I’ve had one of these in my Tesla for over a year and often use it. I set the digital inflation cutoff and go around to all four tires to quickly set to proper pressure. I have also used this on several pool floats. Mine came with a small battery with no charge indicator so I use one of my extra larger batteries with this as well, I’m paranoid so I keep the batteries in a bag made for lithium batteries. I have a lot of DeWalt tools. Zero complaints with this compressor that will also use 12v and AC power sources.

Reactions: scaesare and elf9
The problem with a portable battery powered one is you have to keep the battery charged all the time if you carry it with you.
It works great till the day you need it and forgot to keep the battery charged.

The 12 Volt hook up allows ou to inflate the tire using the cars battery power when ever you may need it.

Reactions: josahua