TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Corning NY Supercharger?...

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by Tedkidd, May 4, 2014.

1. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

Looking at the map of southwestern NY does it seem to anyone else that a Supercharger in Corning would fill a big North/South and East/West hole?

2. tfero3396

tfero3396 Member

I would definitely vote for that. There is no good route from SE PA to the Finger Lakes region. I would only consider doing an ICE trip.

3. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

#3 JakeP, May 15, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014
    I vote for one in Erie, one at Hornell (or Bath/Hammondsport), and one in Binghamton. That would cover access on effectively all NY interstate highways besides I-90, which is already covered.

4. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

And I should add that we have heard rumors that the site acquisition team has been scouting Binghamton.

5. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

Such an obvious location. Instead of Ithaca? (Anybody know what the thinking was/is behind that?)

6. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I was once told that there was a large number of Cornell Engineers on staff at Tesla (along with Stanford Engineers). I always assumed that was the reason!

7. zhenya

zhenya Member

Binghamton would seem to make more sense than Ithaca or Corning as it's at the crossroads for people heading in many directions. This region definitely needs one badly.

Is there serious talk of putting one in Ithaca?

8. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Ithaca has been on the current TM map ever since it was first published. I hope we get both...would love to have a destination Supercharger in Ithaca.

9. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

I never thought the "dot" placement on the coming soon SC map was meant to be that accurate, and just assumed it would be in Binghamton. That way people on 81, 88, and 86/17 could easily access it. Ithaca would be a bit out of the way for all of those routes.

10. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

I thought they were connecting destinations before building at destinations? Seemed a good strategy when I heard it...

What's your thinking on what makes the Hornell/Bath 17 triangle better than the Corning 15 triangle? That make striking distance to Buffalo? Corning make Erie a fail?

Where does it take you going south on 15?

11. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

I was thinking that if we are also getting Binghamton and Ithaca, we don't need Corning, as it would be too close. Also that Hornell ties in I-390 up to Rochester, and provides access to the southern tips of Keuka, Seneca and Cayuga via Bath/Hammondsport when approaching from the West on I-86.

12. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Totally agree with your logic and assessment, but all of the other dots I have tracked were ultimately quite accurate, and that dot is absolutely on Ithaca.

13. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

I think whether Ithaca goes in or not is kinda irrelevant. Its a bridge to nowhere, a destination.

I absolutely agree they'd be nuts not to have one near/in Binghamton. Again...

Not sure Hornell gets you deep enough into PA. But maybe Corning doesn't reach Erie or Buffalo?

14. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

That's where I was coming from, how far can you get from Erie or elsewhere in PA. Maybe Salamanca, NY would be better, as you can reach it from Cranberry supercharger, 186 miles up I-79 and over on I-86. And you pick up the 219 traffic from Bradford, PA and points South. From there it is 143 to Ithaca or 186 to Binghamton...second being kind of a long stretch.

Totally agreed that Ithaca is a destination charge...but since I frequently go there, I think it is a worthy and welcome one!

15. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

Salamanka no go i think. Doesnt serve Rochester/finger lakes to Washington DC/MD/Philly. That route is 390 - 15. Lots running that. Maybe buffalo/Toronto too. How would you make that work without something on that artery.

16. JakeP

JakeP S P4996 / X P6028

Well that brings me full circle, which is why I originally said Erie/Hornell/Binghamton, which covers all of these bases. I don't understand how they can not have Erie as a dot at this point.

17. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

While not ideal it also would service rt 81 while only adding about 30 miles to the section between Cortland and Whitney Point.

18. zhenya

zhenya Member

I think that while it'd be great to have one in Ithaca as a destination charger, it'd make more sense to put one in Binghamton first as it would still service access to Ithaca from the highly trafficked southern route, while also making trips from Ithaca more convenient (there is no comfortable route from Ithaca to NY/NJ/SE PA right now). Ithaca is significantly out of the way for anyone not specifically heading there.

19. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Totally agree that Binghamton makes more sense, just trying to rationalize why Tesla might choose Ithaca.

20. Tedkidd

Tedkidd Member

North central PA is STILL going to be an unbridgeable desert. Seems like a gaping hole on the eastern seaboard.

Toronto, Buffalo, Rochester south to NJ, Philly, DC has no solution, even in future plans. I wonder why?