Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Erwin, NY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IMG_0880 (1).jpg
IMG_0881 (1).jpg
Well, it's great to finally be able to make a trip from the DC area to Rochester via Harrisburg and Corning. But the site has issues, not the least of which is it takes up a significant fraction of the Dunkin' Donuts parking lot. So on a busy Sat. morning donut rush, the lot is full and the drive through lane is also full, so the supercharger is covered up (legally; posted 30 min parking) with ICE vehicles. It's difficult to get into or out of the Tesla spots with the drive through lane taking up more than half the available space. But there is quick turnover of spots and the superchargers themselves work fine so it sure beats not having a supercharger there at all.

Tesla is putting in five dedicated spots, not for donut parking, and they are advertised to be "coming soon". The only real eats are at Denny's across the busy road. It seems like a spot closer to the center of activity of Painted Post would have had some advantages.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Tedkidd and jrreno
View attachment 253372 View attachment 253373 Well, it's great to finally be able to make a trip from the DC area to Rochester via Harrisburg and Corning. But the site has issues, not the least of which is it takes up a significant fraction of the Dunkin' Donuts parking lot. So on a busy Sat. morning donut rush, the lot is full and the drive through lane is also full, so the supercharger is covered up (legally; posted 30 min parking) with ICE vehicles. It's difficult to get into or out of the Tesla spots with the drive through lane taking up more than half the available space. But there is quick turnover of spots and the superchargers themselves work fine so it sure beats not having a supercharger there at all.

Tesla is putting in five dedicated spots, not for donut parking, and they are advertised to be "coming soon". The only real eats are at Denny's across the busy road. It seems like a spot closer to the center of activity of Painted Post would have had some advantages.
Thanks for the review. We will be traveling from Rochester area to Woodbridge, Va often and this seems like a better route than down through Binghamton.

Reactions: ThosEM
Hey Guys. I'll likely be using this charger in the near future (Once I get my Model 3, I have family in horseheads so I'd likely stop here fill up on the way out of town).

Just trying to understand the setup:

5 Chargers are live now, sharing a parking lot with DD
5 Chargers will be coming online "soon", in a dedicated lot (basically directly behind the DD lot)

Potential ICE'ing issues, especially during DD busy periods.

How has the charging rate been?

Hey Guys. I'll likely be using this charger in the near future (Once I get my Model 3, I have family in horseheads so I'd likely stop here fill up on the way out of town).

5 Chargers will be coming online "soon", in a dedicated lot (basically directly behind the DD lot)

I'll be there in 5 days. I'll tell you. I've got to charge on the way to Ithaca area from Erie PA SC and I'll likely consider stopping on the way back to Erie though it might not be worth it (depends on how cold it will be). I used to make it directly from Erie PA SC to my destination in my 75D with about 10 miles of range in the spring and summer (lowest was 7 miles, most was 19). I've never attempted the drive with this SC operational and I wouldn't be able to consider making the trip during the cold months if Tesla hadn't delivered this SC.

ChArging rates were nominal for us: begin at 115 kW, and taper.

• Informative
Reactions: jrreno
This location was critical for us to make our trip from No. Va to the finger lakes. It was probably the main contributor to my purchasing our Tesla's. we go that way every year.

Nice to see the weeds died back some. The stalls were iced when we were there also.

Now if we could get more SC in No. Va. of I-66. They pulled the one in Fairfax. Tyson's isn't moving either.

I live in Rochester NY and when traveling south, Wash. DC and points south, it would be terrific if there were SC’s at the Wegmans in Williamsport Pa. The I could make it to northern Va with only 1 stop at Tesla SCs. Now I would have to stop roughly 1 hour from home at Painted Post then onto Harrisburg, Hoping for Williamsport SCers.

Can anyone confirm that all 10 stalls are now powered up and operational? It looks like the last report (Oct. 2018) indicated that only 5 were up and working, and that ICEing was still a huge issue.

I'll be driving the full length of 86/17 in the coming days with the whole family in the car, and this one will be a critical stop! Thanks.

I just stopped here 8 days ago (12/18) and only 5 stalls were powered up and operational. Those 5 stalls are the only ones accessible they are in the parking lot of the Dunkin' and the other 5 are on the other side of a hump facing a new building and a "different" parking lot and it's not paved yet, so you can't "get over to them". They might be powered and working if you want to go off roading. :)

ICEing is still an issue. I've been using this stop 8 times over the last few months. And there has almost always been an ICE in one of the spots. The signs say "30 minute parking if you aren't a tesla". And people use that. 7 of the 8 times I could park (in between 2 other ICE cars) and charge. 1 of those times all spots were full (1 tesla and 4 ICE cars) and one of the ICE cars was idling and the driver was in the car, and I asked him to move and he pulled forward 20 feet in to the open spot in front of him.

So I could charge each time (only once by asking someone to move). I wouldn't worry about it. I'm guessing you will be able to charge there. Not much to do. You have Dunkin there and if you walk across the street you get Denny's.

I just stopped here 8 days ago (12/18) and only 5 stalls were powered up and operational. Those 5 stalls are the only ones accessible they are in the parking lot of the Dunkin' and the other 5 are on the other side of a hump facing a new building and a "different" parking lot and it's not paved yet, so you can't "get over to them". They might be powered and working if you want to go off roading. :)

ICEing is still an issue. I've been using this stop 8 times over the last few months. And there has almost always been an ICE in one of the spots. The signs say "30 minute parking if you aren't a tesla". And people use that. 7 of the 8 times I could park (in between 2 other ICE cars) and charge. 1 of those times all spots were full (1 tesla and 4 ICE cars) and one of the ICE cars was idling and the driver was in the car, and I asked him to move and he pulled forward 20 feet in to the open spot in front of him.

So I could charge each time (only once by asking someone to move). I wouldn't worry about it. I'm guessing you will be able to charge there. Not much to do. You have Dunkin there and if you walk across the street you get Denny's.

Thanks for the intel. We stopped there a couple days ago and noted the same. Seems like the new building next to Dunkin Donuts is almost done, but it'll be quite some time before that other lot is paved and the other 5 superchargers are in play. It does seem odd to me that Tesla says there are 10 available stalls, when only 5 are operational.

Trying to plan a trip from Toronto to my son's camp this summer in the Poconos, Pa.

Info says that the supercharger in Erwin NY has a Holiday Inn Express nearby. (If I stay overnight along the road, I can wake up with a full charge or close to it, which may make it easier that morning.)

Is the SC right in the parking lot of the hotel? I google mapped it, and it looks like it is only a 2 minute walk but it looks like you have to walk on the highway- which I don’t think is right.

Is it right in the parking lot of the hotel?

Trying to plan a trip from Toronto to my son's camp this summer in the Poconos, Pa.

Info says that the supercharger in Erwin NY has a Holiday Inn Express nearby. (If I stay overnight along the road, I can wake up with a full charge or close to it, which may make it easier that morning.)

Is the SC right in the parking lot of the hotel? I google mapped it, and it looks like it is only a 2 minute walk but it looks like you have to walk on the highway- which I don’t think is right.

Is it right in the parking lot of the hotel?
No, it's in the parking lot of the Dunkin Donuts, which is across the road from the Holiday Inn Express access road.

Google Maps

Reactions: PLUS EV