Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Corona virus delay 2020 Roadster even further?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
By the time the New Roadster is ready to go into production, China will likely be back to full production. The bigger question is whether the world economy will have taken such a hit that there's less of a market for a $200K car. And if the economy take a bad enough hit, the sale of cars overall could decline to the point that Tesla cannot afford to build the New Roadster.

Wash your hands so you don't spread the virus so fewer people get sick so your friends and loved ones don't die and the economy takes less of a hit overall and Tesla can build the New Roadster.

If current cars are being built why would the roadster be delayed due to the virus? Makes no sense

Roadster had already been delayed last year, before COVID-19. Musk made a decision to focus on three motor Model S that will be a hybrid with parts from Raven and Roadster. He has learned from X fiasco and is trying his best not to leap too far (or maybe Tesla board did it just like they tempered Model Y design).

Roadster had already been delayed last year, before COVID-19. Musk made a decision to focus on three motor Model S that will be a hybrid with parts from Raven and Roadster. He has learned from X fiasco and is trying his best not to leap too far (or maybe Tesla board did it just like they tempered Model Y design).
Yeah, plus from his latest interview on the joe Rogan podcast he made it sound like the truck will be produced before the roadster.

Yeah, plus from his latest interview on the joe Rogan podcast he made it sound like the truck will be produced before the roadster.

That would make sense since the Roadster will be a niche car for the ultra-rich while the truck will be a first of its kind, likely with a solid market, at least once people start buying cars again. (Yes, I called it ridiculous at first. I've changed my view.)

That would make sense since the Roadster will be a niche car for the ultra-rich while the truck will be a first of its kind, likely with a solid market, at least once people start buying cars again. (Yes, I called it ridiculous at first. I've changed my view.)
Perfect business sense, but not so much for reservation holders that gave Tesla $50K over two years ago based on getting a car this year. ;)

Reactions: ICUDoc
Perfect business sense, but not so much for reservation holders that gave Tesla $50K over two years ago based on getting a car this year. ;)

Tesla builds the best cars. And delivers about two years late. Yes, that's very rough on people who plop down big reservation fees.

When I bought my Roadster I imagined I'd keep it until I was too old and arthritic to get in and out of it, or until the Roadster MkII came out and I'd upgrade. Seven years after I got it I had different concerns and instead I "downgraded" to the Model 3. Safer, more practical, EAP, but not exciting like the Roadster and not as much fun. At my age, EAP is a big safety feature. But I admit, I'd love to feel 1.9 seconds to 60 mph. Except that where I live now, 45 mph is the highest limit on any of the roads I normally drive. There's a 55 mph road but I almost never go there.

Good luck on getting your New Roadster sooner than later. Drive safely, and if you ever bring it to Maui give me a ride! :)

For me the delay isn't a problem. We are talking about a 250mph car with 0-60 in 1.9secs for £150k ($200k), nothing touches this performance for this price. In fact many cars much more expensive hover around the 200mph - 220mph still, after braking this barrier in the 80's, so 250mph+ is very appealing.

Personally I believe Tesla are being very secretive / cautious about the real figures and as they state this performance was in the prototype. I believe they will achieve (tyres and updates pending) nearer 1.6 secs 0-60 and 270mph maybe 280mph and just over 300mph for the founders series. I'm not a Tesla fanboy, i'm going off specs, what they currently achieve and their track record, also they need tyres to handle the torque.

This delays buys time for improvements in technology. I'm sure some are not too happy but such is life and it will come together in the end. Also as people are dying in big numbers, the delivery of a car is not important. Tesla are involved in many other projects which have longevity, Elon's not daft and not short of a few bill's or investors willing to put in many bill's so don't see any financial issues. The company is set up well with not so many premises that the rent will see them off to the bankruptcy court, though they would simply restructure to alleviate debt in any case. If you don't have a Roadster on order or wont ever order one then it is of no concern to you and only really reflects jealousy and people scaremongering themselves for no reason, I don't see any panic from people who have placed orders, so much is delayed it is to be expected. Anyone concerned can cancel their order get their money back but I'll bet most that do, only do so out of precaution and will end up placing their orders back again, I thought of this as an option when news broke but ended up better off financially. Nearer the time I may be able to afford a founders edition however, now is the time to think about how we conduct ourselves and not such luxury items. I have other projects such as feeding homeless people which I've had to stop and need to do more when this is over.

I know when mine turns up it will be a head turner and I intend to take it to the Nurburgring for a bit of fun, not trying to set records just some nice laps.

Reactions: TheEVadvisor
I'm a big Tesla fanboy. I loved my Roadster and I love my Model 3. But there's no way you'd get me in a car with the intention of going 250 mph. That said, I'm sure you folks are going to love it. Drive safely.

I've gotten my Roadster up to max speed (~125mph) exactly once, on a track. I'll buy the new one with no intention of ever coming near the top speed even on a track. But I will use max acceleration sometimes. :)

I've gotten my Roadster up to max speed (~125mph) exactly once, on a track. I'll buy the new one with no intention of ever coming near the top speed even on a track. But I will use max acceleration sometimes. :)

I didn't care for fast speeds. I once had my Roadster up to 90 mph, for about 5 seconds on the freeway, and it scared me. But I loved putting the pedal to the floor and feeling the acceleration. I once got to test-drive a P85D Model S when that was the latest trim line. I can't imagine what the New Roadster will feel like pedal to the floor. Enjoy!