Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't cherry pick that. You are a POS for suggesting that.

Unfortunately your understanding of the rules for scientific evidence appears no better than your understanding of social graces and what is considered proper behavior in this Forum. Using obscenities as you've used here is a violation of forum rules. Your post should be taken down.

Do you think the Pharma lobby donates to congress and massively advertises on the media for sugar and giggles? HCQ is a generic drug where as Remdesivir is not.. It's all about the benjamins.. baby.
Doctors are also administering generic steroids and blood thinners to treat COVID-19.
Maybe we can have an HCQ discussion ban on this thread until there is new research. There are now 1000 pages in this thread and a significant percentage of them are back and forth on HCQ.

Data that supports your claim? Please. No formal data? Then it's just an opinion.

Yes its just an opinion, shared by the government in the state between mine and Victoria. Perhaps if they were located closer to Taiwan the result would be different. Perhaps in a months time it will change.

The question is asked at the 41minute mark.

The point is not that masks are not beneficial, because they are beneficial.

The point is that masks (cloth non certified) are a NOT a substitute for other precautions.

NSW rates masks as number 4 on their citizens todo list, but their strategy is to focus on the top 3,
Self Isolation (and testing)
Physical distancing
Good hygiene

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
This scientist in Italy actually measured social distancing using a belt with sensors in it and found that masks actually increase social distancing. Goggles increase it even more. I could imagine this would change over time and be different for different cultures. This study was done a while ago and Italy has had so few cases for months I can imagine that complacency is setting in.
https://arxiv.org/pdf/2005.12446.pdf
I've noticed when I wear scrubs during a noon walk around the park greatly increase the social distancing around me.

Yes its just an opinion, shared by the government in the state between mine and Victoria. Perhaps if they were located closer to Taiwan the result would be different. Perhaps in a months time it will change.

The question is asked at the 41minute mark.

The point is not that masks are not beneficial, because they are beneficial.

The point is that masks (cloth non certified) are a NOT a substitute for other precautions.

NSW rates masks as number 4 on their citizens todo list, but their strategy is to focus on the top 3,
Self Isolation (and testing)
Physical distancing
Good hygiene

We agree that masks are not a substitute for the whole package of precautions to disrupt transmission chains. But they are still a critical piece of that. I sometimes feel that somehow you begrudge that concession. This collection of measures is probably only as good as its weakest link. For a lot of people that appears to be mask wearing for others it's social distancing and for some it's both.

Reactions: madodel
Unfortunately your understanding of the rules for scientific evidence appears no better than your understanding of social graces and what is considered proper behavior in this Forum. Using obscenities as you've used here is a violation of forum rules. Your post should be taken down.

So is projecting ulterior motives and casting aspersions on to other people while remaining anonymous. At least I am not a coward who hides behind an anonymous identity.

BTW, I am still waiting for those links to medcram :rolleyes:

So is projecting ulterior motives and casting aspersions on to other people while remaining anonymous. At least I am not a coward who hides behind an anonymous identity.

BTW, I am still waiting for those links to medcram :rolleyes:

So after insulting me as 'dim-witted' and then using an obscenity that got your last post pulled, now you're calling me a 'coward' and somebody projecting my "ulterior motives" (whatever those might be!). At the end you suggest that I've fallen down on my obligation to fetch some medcram links for you! Wow! You seem like a pretty entitled guy, and unable to have a meaningful or constructive debate instead just flinging insults at people. I have you on ignore.

Last edited:
Excess death numbers continue to seriously outpace official covid-19 statistics. We may have already crossed 200,000 deaths in this country where covid-19 was a / the primary factor according to a headline in the New York Times – unfortunately it's hidden behind a paywall. It's terrifying to think where we may be come November at our current pace of between 1200 and 1400 deaths a day on average. And for those who think this is a blip compared to those so-called 'real causes of mortality' in this country, a general ballpark number for deaths from cardiovascular disease which is the leading killer is around 350,000 deaths/year. So we're closing in on that.

2020-08-13_14-15-39.jpg

Last edited:
Excess death numbers continue to seriously outpace official covid-19 statistics. We may have already crossed 200,000 deaths in this country where covid-19 was a / the primary factor according to a headline in the New York Times – unfortunately it's hidden behind a paywall. It's terrifying to think where we may be come November at our current pace of between 1200 and 1400 deaths a day on average. And for those who think this is a blip compared to those so-called 'real causes of mortality' in this country, a general ballpark number for deaths from cardiovascular disease which is the leading killer is around 350,000 deaths/year. So we're closing in on that.

View attachment 575890

With the large spike in hospitalizations over the last month, the deaths per day could start ramping up to levels above the peak of the NE outbreak soon. And with hospitalizations only dropping a bit, the large death numbers could continue for many weeks.

The head of the CDC is predicting a horrible fall if we don't start universal measures now to prevent spread
US coronavirus: The CDC issued a dire warning for the fall - CNN

Trump's trying to force schools to open now is likely going to cause a peak in school related cases right around election time. In most places that re-opened in May it took 6-8 weeks for hospitals to reach maximum capacity and the worst cases are dying now. Kids don't get serious cases as often as adults, but there are kids around the world who have been hospitalized and killed by it. When the small percentage of kids who do get serious cases end up dying around election day, that's not going to help Trump any.

I do wish news outlets would make a bigger story about the unexpected deaths this year being over 200K. Just that is bad enough, but because the economy has been so suppressed accidental deaths are way down this year, which means that COVID is probably killing that number too.

What's simply history?

Susan Rosenberg is one of those people who are well known to consumers of certain types of news, but unheard of outside those circles. She was convicted on one charge of possessing explosives that would normally carry something like a 5 year sentence, but got 50 years instead. Bill Clinton commuted her sentence after 16 years. Since then she has never been suspected of any crimes and has done a lot of charitable work.

She made mistakes in her youth and by all evidence she became rehabilitated.

What's simply history?
COVID-19: Hearing Deterioration After Discharge From Hospital

Learning more and more about this nasty virus every day.

There are going to be some serious long-term consequences for those that recover from it.

Add it to the evidence that the virus may have some neurotropic properties. Maybe not the worst on that point, but the first rank symptom of loss of smell and alterations in sense of taste suggest that it does have some affinity for peripheral nervous tissue. I did see a neuropath report suggesting that it doesn't seem to typically get far into the brain, but in folks with blood-brain barrier issues that may not be true. Given the emerging evidence that herpes simplex virus and a number of other common pathogens including Lyme disease candida and a number of other common infections increase the downstream risk for Alzheimer's disease, that's just another really troubling question about possible long-term costs.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33 and madodel
With the large spike in hospitalizations over the last month, the deaths per day could start ramping up to levels above the peak of the NE outbreak soon. And with hospitalizations only dropping a bit, the large death numbers could continue for many weeks.
Fortunately that's looking unlikely with this "wave." It appears that doctors have gotten significantly better at treatment and it's likely that the number of hospitalizations in the Northeast was somewhat limited by capacity (and some state data (Florida) was missing).
Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 8.43.23 PM.png

https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/2-metrics-7-day-average-curves
I'm worried about winter...

Playing with explosives is a "youthful mistake"?

I dont know the details but how many folks play with explosives when young?
“She wasn’t, like, watching me. I was off making explosives and reading books and building rockets and doing things that could have gotten me killed,” said Musk. “I’m shocked that I have all my fingers.”
Elon Musk lived on $1 a day when he moved to Canada as a teen and other surprising facts about his youth
Lock him up!
The funny thing is that I just searched for this because he definitely seems like the type to have played with explosives as a kid. :p

Fortunately that's looking unlikely with this "wave." It appears that doctors have gotten significantly better at treatment and it's likely that the number of hospitalizations in the Northeast was somewhat limited by capacity (and some state data (Florida) was missing).
View attachment 576085
https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/2-metrics-7-day-average-curves
I'm worried about winter...
I wonder if people waited longer before going to the hospital back in late March/April? Some of the stories of NYC 1st responders indicated them picking up quite a few people who were in very bad shape or worse during that time. Just another factor in addition to better treatment.