Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
California, Oregon and Washington have coordinated on a "shared vision for reopening their economies and controlling COVID-19 into the future," with state-specific plans to be released shortly (California's is expected tomorrow).

Washington, Oregon and California announce Western States Pact | Governor Jay Inslee

He will have a press conference at 3pm on tvw.org

Their statements keep referencing disadvantage groups which is fine in principle but they need to consider the whole state; if not certain geographic areas.

I'll try to go easy on you but I have to confess that your questions in a sense recapitulate the problems that I'm talking about. What makes you believe that exterminating an enormous number of asymptomatic carrier animals living out their lives in their natural habitat is something that we are ethically entitled to do? There's every reason to believe that most carriers for these viruses that mutate and jump into humans are often times but not always completely asymptomatic. Or does that not express the very arrogance that I've been talkin about namely that we believe we are somehow exempt from concern for other life forms because we believe in some kind of grandiose way that we have been given dominion over them?

As for your other questions I'll let the virologists here answer them.
The notion that ncov-SARS-19 jumped from bats to humans is unlikely. Similar to influenza there is likely an intermediate species in which genetic recombination occurred between human and bat coronaviruses. This is why the fresh meat markets are under the microscope -- they mix humans, bats, and intermediate species together.

As for all the laboratory conspiracy crap -- no comment.

Reactions: jerry33
Obviously I was using approximate numbers. My point is that 5 deaths for 5000 infections on the ship would not be unexpected (my original claim). As I mentioned in my prior posts on this, not all the sailors on the ship are young! I'm not surprised to hear that the sailor was in his 40s. I'm in my 40's too, which is why I like to freak out about COVID-19.

In a typical population, 5000 infections would result in about 50 deaths, so it's not really a stretch at all to think that the generally younger and healthy ship population would "sail through" with "just" 5-15 deaths.

Which is what the captain was concerned about originally. Based on the reaction & behavior of the (former) Navy Secretary, it's not clear at all that the Secretary's statement describing his reasons for the firing (the Captain's superior was allegedly just down the hallway on the carrier, not going through the chain of command, etc.), has any merit.

Do you have any conditions that put you at risk like obesity, heart disease, or a lung condition? If not, you are at low risk for a serious case. You may be sick a few days, but probably nothing serious. There are a few people who don't have obvious risk factors who do end up in the hospital, but they are a tiny percentage of the serious cases.

Do you have any conditions that put you at risk like obesity, heart disease, or a lung condition? If not, you are at low risk for a serious case. You may be sick a few days, but probably nothing serious.

No, I am pretty fit, routinely ride my mountain bike & road bike, rock climb, backpack, etc. I have no conditions. However, I'm absolutely petrified of getting the disease, as I have calculated it is about 10-20x more dangerous than the flu for my age group. And when I last had the flu about 20 years ago, I felt like I was going to die (it's the only time I've sought medical help for an illness), though I was probably not even close to dying .

Not only is it more dangerous, I think it's far from clear for the ~10-20% of people who end up with a serious case whether the recovery of lung function is complete and total. I would like my lungs to be 100%, thank you very much.

There's a significant number of people who become seriously ill, even without known co-morbidities (about 1/3 of the ~700 US deaths under age 50 match this pattern - https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/08/young-people-coronavirus-deaths/). Medical professionals don't understand exactly why, as far as I know (it may be something genetic, but all speculative). Of course, people with these other conditions are at extremely high risk, but I'm at significant risk as well.

The other factor is that my wife is not as lucky as I am, and it's fairly likely that if I get the disease, she will get it as well, and it'll likely kill her.

No, I am pretty fit, routinely ride my mountain bike & road bike, rock climb, backpack, etc. However, I'm absolutely petrified of getting the disease, as I have calculated it is about 10-20x more dangerous than the flu for my age group. And when I last had the flu about 20 years ago, I felt like I was going to die (it's the only time I've sought medical help for an illness), though I was probably not even close to dying .

Not only is it more dangerous, I think it's far from clear for the ~10-20% of people who end up with a serious case whether the recovery of lung function is complete and total. I would like my lungs to be 100%, thank you very much.

There's a significant number of people who become seriously ill, even without co-morbidities. Medical professionals don't understand exactly why, as far as I know (it may be something genetic, but all speculative). Of course, people with these other conditions are at extremely high risk, but I'm at significant risk as well.

The other factor is that my wife is not as lucky as I am, and it's fairly likely that if I get the disease, she will get it as well, and it'll likely kill her.
This is how one young, fit person recovered. It doesn't sound pleasant, nor quick.
Opinion | We Need to Talk About What Coronavirus Recoveries Look Like
Robin

This is the kind of story I'm seeing locally

"I first felt symptoms from COVID-19 on March 17th. I went to my doctor on the 20th and tested negative for flu and was a good candidate to be tested for the virus but alas, my doctor was not in Knox County and the Grainger County health department did not have enough tests to warrant using one on me. On the following Monday, March 23rd, I went to the Knox County Health Department (which officially closed that day) but was able to speak to someone who told me I was clearly in need of the test. Though she could not give me one, she told me the epidemiologist would call me. She did call me a couple of hours later and had the temerity to tell me I likely did not have the virus even though she had never seen me. I managed to work out getting tested in Blount County later that same day and was declared positive for COVID-19 five days later. The absolute lack of testing in Knoxville likely means that there are many with the virus who don't know it. And there may be many asymptomatic persons walking around passing it along. Please stay home as much as you are able. I fear difficult days ahead for the city/county I love if we don't isolate. BTW- I am close to fully recovered now. The cough lingers but I am able to go for walks."

It's scary to think that the majority of people with symptoms here don't get tested. I'm sure testing has improved slightly in the last week or two but I doubt testing is anywhere near keeping up with the symptomatic, let alone the asymptomatic.

Do you have any conditions that put you at risk like obesity, heart disease, or a lung condition? If not, you are at low risk for a serious case. You may be sick a few days, but probably nothing serious. There are a few people who don't have obvious risk factors who do end up in the hospital, but they are a tiny percentage of the serious cases.

This is amazingly naive. If you are older meaning over 55 you are at elevated risk for a more severe manifestation. If you are male you are at elevated risk as well. So this easy Breezy weather forecast you're providing just doesn't square with the epidemiologic facts. Even younger people describe this often as a brutal experience. And a certain percentage of young people die even if they don't have so-called pre-existing conditions. So it's really a bit of Russian Roulette if you are casual and think that this is just the flu so you don't have to really worry if you contract it. The fact that your experience with it was relatively benign of course is not a basis for judgment. EDIT CORRECTION: you just quoted an experience somebody else was describing.

It's about like your risk of death in a severe car accident (let's say defined in this case as an accident where your car is totaled). Depending on the severity of accident it can be anywhere from 2 to 40%, with the analogy to death in this accident severity hinging on your age, your gender, and whether you have any known or unknown so-called pre-existing conditions). Do you regard severe car accidents as trivial also? Would you advise anybody to sort of no-sweat-easy-breezy through the risk of an accident in which their car was totaled? Because that's kind of what you're saying about covid-19.

Last edited:
The only sure way we know to detect asymptomatic cases is to do a throat swab test. And to catch all of them would require everybody in the population to get tested everyday.
We don't have to catch them all. We can catch enough through contact tracing if we do it right. Doing it right is very hard, though.
What about the selectivity (false positives!)? That's way more important than sensitivity at this point during the pandemic. The FDA approved Cellex test only has 96% (95% CI: 92.8% to 97.8%) selectivity which makes it pretty useless right now. I also wonder whether the selectivity would vary by population if the false positives are caused by antibodies to other viruses.
I agree specificity of the Cellex test is too low to be more than a first pass in the US. Other tests claim 99%+, but those may just be marketing department specs.
Think you misunderstood him. If you get false negative you still get to keep your yellow armband. Green is for people with antibodies, red for people with the virus, yellow for everyone without a positive test.
OK, I didn't pay enough attention to the colors. But the point remains, false negative sends contagious people into the world and false positives send people out with a false sense of immunity. I like these tests for first pass screening, but not for armbanding.
We are likewise no where near being as thorough as S. Korea and that makes containment almost impossible for our country.
I agree we are in much worse shape than South Korea. Extrapolating US actions so far gives me no hope. Yet I remain hopeful that one city or state will get it right then others will follow. One advantage of decentralized government is the ability to experiment.
This was hard for me to follow. It seems to be based primarily on location data. The Apple/Google framework does not track locations. IMHO people will be more accepting of a non-location approach. But nobody under 40 seems to mind Facebook employees knowing their most intimate details, so I may be way off base.

I agree specificity of the Cellex test is too low to be more than a first pass in the US. Other tests claim 99%+, but those may just be marketing department specs.
All the data sheets I've seen have ridiculously small sample sizes (though that does show up in the confidence interval). If the source of false positives are antibodies to other viruses couldn't the prevalence of those vary between the "clean" blood used to validate the test and the population that the test is used on?

This is well said, however, these same delusions also apply to western medicine and the human body. There is a level of indoctrination in western medicine (which is quite obvious in this thread) that needs to be addressed. There are some pretty logical reasons to be skeptical of your "science" which is more often than not passed off as "fact". The more this skepticism is censored, ignored, and/or belittled the stronger it gets. This is what undermines public health.

I have to ask what are you talking about? What is it that's being censored ignored and belittled that is undermining Public Health? I'd really love to hear that.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Also, reasons why some sort of "cover up" could happen if some sort of lab mistake/accident was behind this current pandemic:
> Governments don't want to be blamed for causing harm with the funding they put into their labs, which are a source of national pride.
> Academics spend a lifetime trying to work for the greater good to prove that their research is valuable to mankind. A terrible accident could nullify all that.
> Politicians around the world are trying to point fingers away from themselves.

We could also debate if some sort of "media anarchists" are just spreading dis-information on all topics because they like to see people lose faith in what is "news" and stop looking to the media to tell us anything.
You don't see that your second paragraph is an apt description of what your first paragraph is doing? Ironic.

California, Oregon and Washington have coordinated on a "shared vision for reopening their economies and controlling COVID-19 into the future," with state-specific plans to be released shortly (California's is expected tomorrow).

Washington, Oregon and California announce Western States Pact | Governor Jay Inslee

Gov. Newsom spoke today about this coalition. He also said tomorrow they would be announcing plans they had agreed upon and would have details then. Had thought this would be region wide but maybe State-specific?

He was asked about Trumps comment (tweet?) today that HE would decide, not Governors. I saw Newsom’s response as side stepping an answer. Said they were working closely with federal officials.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Norbert and EinSV
Gov. Newsom spoke today about this coalition. He also said tomorrow they would be announcing plans they had agreed upon and would have details then. Had thought this would be region wide but maybe State-specific?

Ambitious. I don't see how they're going to do this without widespread testing both PCR and antibody. Folks that passed the antibody test so to speak don't have restrictions, people with positive test results indicating active infection have Max restrictions, and everybody in the middle has some flavor of restriction(s).

But we're so far from having any version of an effective Statewide testing program even in New York where they've tested a higher percentage of citizens than anywhere else. We need to test anywhere from 20 to 50% of the population, and be able to do it quickly with short turn around. We're so far from that capacity it's a bit worrisome.

That's just for the out-n-about people, ie the one's who are exposing themselves to potential infection. Of the total population there it's probably less, maybe 10-30%. Just a guess though. What's your guess?
I think healthcare workers and the NYPD are definitely more than 20%. NYPD has lost 23 members (3 more today) and 20% are out sick.
For the population of NYC as a whole I would estimate 10% (that would put the current fatality rate at 0.5% but of course most of the cases are not resolved yet so that number will go up).

• Informative
Reactions: dqd88