Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ambitious. I don't see how they're going to do this without widespread testing both PCR and antibody. Folks that passed the antibody test so to speak don't have restrictions, people with positive test results indicating active infection have Max restrictions, and everybody in the middle has some flavor of restriction(s).

But we're so far from having any version of an effective Statewide testing program even in New York where they've tested a higher percentage of citizens than anywhere else. We need to test anywhere from 20 to 50% of the population, and be able to do it quickly with short turn around. We're so far from that capacity it's a bit worrisome.
You could do a phased return-to-work for specific sectors/industries and just test those people to ferret out (as well as possible) the contagious ones, up to the point of saturating the health care system. That doesn't help the rest of us with our lockdown, but it gets part of the economy going. Manufacturing first, service industries last. I'm not saying that is a good idea, but I would say it's likely to happen. Feasibility depends, of course, on lots of both type of tests, masks, PPE availability to health care workers, etc.

Reactions: dfwatt
Ambitious. I don't see how they're going to do this without widespread testing both PCR and antibody. Folks that passed the antibody test so to speak don't have restrictions, people with positive test results indicating active infection have Max restrictions, and everybody in the middle has some flavor of restriction(s).

But we're so far from having any version of an effective Statewide testing program even in New York where they've tested a higher percentage of citizens than anywhere else. We need to test anywhere from 20 to 50% of the population, and be able to do it quickly with short turn around. We're so far from that capacity it's a bit worrisome.
I'm guessing a slow staged process. You missed the the other ingredient which is contact tracing. Even if you get the numbers low enough, you still have to go back and quarantine people who were in contact with the remaining people. Otherwise your numbers start ballooning up.

And they have to come up with a robust system to actually do all this work with testing and contact tracing.

Reactions: dhrivnak and dfwatt
I'm guessing a slow staged process. You missed the the other ingredient which is contact tracing. Even if you get the numbers low enough, you still have to go back and quarantine people who were in contact with the remaining people. Otherwise your numbers start ballooning up.

And they have to come up with a robust system to actually do all this work with testing and contact tracing.
I agree, and I think the states (certain states) are much more likely to accomplish this than is the federal government.

Reactions: sparcs
Yesterday I heard Newsom mention PG&E. Wasn’t listening closely enough to know the context although bankruptcy was mentioned. We’ve been SIP since 3/9 here in SFBay area. And when the State did their 3/17 SIP orders, that was the day our electrician was to come out to replace our main panel so Tesla could come in behind them with solar/Powerwalls before the rnd of March. Since that time our city only permits electricians/construction on a new shopping center and low-income housing; rest considered non-essential.

I’m very concerned the backlog of solar/PW installs in PG&E shutdown areas during high winds/fire danger will grow even worse now and people/companies/stores (even essential) who need electricity will not fair well with massive countywide blackouts that can last for days. As it is I had to toss everything in my refrig and freezer. Some affected people were impacted with many days of no power. I see this as a potential catastrophe of sorts with grocery stores and supplies already low, and now with meat packing companies shut down and warning of shortages of meat in stores.

So far I have not heard Gov. Newsom address that aspect of PG&E and hope he is thinking beyond the company’s bankruptcy. I only hope he and cities like mine will permit electrical/solar/PW work to proceed and deem it essential for these PG&E areas if not wider especially if work can be done all outside and/or garage interiors (our case, no need to access the home).

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
It's about like your risk of death in a severe car accident (let's say defined in this case as an accident where your car is totaled). Depending on the severity of accident it can be anywhere from 2 to 40%, with the analogy to death in this accident severity hinging on your age, your gender, and whether you have any known or unknown so-called pre-existing conditions). Do you regard severe car accidents as trivial also? Would you advise anybody to sort of no-sweat-easy-breezy through the risk of an accident in which their car was totaled? Because that's kind of what you're saying about covid-19.
But we don't shut down the economy to prevent severe car accidents.

From what I have read, these particular bat populations are a threat to us. We have extincted many species, some were viewed as threats, some as food, some as sport, some due to us being careless. Those are not coming back. Maybe we should consider if getting rid of these particular types of bats would be beneficial to mankind...? Or maybe this is a natural control in place to keep our population in check? I don't know. I don't have any answers. I am just pondering things from my own perspective.
Or the entire swine population because of swine flu ?

Banning wild animal trade (or for that matter regulating animal factory farms) would be a good thing. Also have good preparations for pandemics. Given that countries are highly interconnected - every novel virus infection can now become a pandemic.

Didn’t get a chance to post yesterday’s Santa Clara County dashboard results then.

From Sunday, 3/12:

13210F30-837F-4160-8656-30C17B0B37A0.png

939CC9C7-FD86-42F7-B7C8-2AE743C1B27E.png

51AA9E90-00FB-4135-98A8-50D5070FDB8E.png

I don’t think today’s have been updated yet but saw this KPIX5 story that deaths have increased today by 6:

Coronavirus Pandemic: Santa Clara Officials Report 6 New Coronavirus Deaths; 45 New Confirmed Cases

I’ve noticed the % Test Positive has been slowly creeping up here.

I see the SCC dashboard did get updated. Here’s today’s statistics.

46E71CE4-F0BA-47C9-815F-5C05274B971E.png

06FF7DB9-2FFA-4E87-94F6-1C199F602BA6.png

136C8C30-8751-4821-A64F-8A44B7FD61D2.png

When you see your City’s positive numbers does make you wonder where these individuals have been that you might frequent. The % Tested Positive rate did go down for today although more test results (Pending) did come back today than yesterday.

If anyone wants to listen to Gov Newsom’s update on the regional governmental efforts, KPIX5 put up this video of it: Gov. Newsom: Western States Share Vision For Reopening After COVID-19; Details Promised Tuesday

Last edited:
Here's the rationale/analysis of why this is very likely not an engineered virus (not that that is a topic of debate here anymore...):

Trevor Bedford on Twitter

This paper actually says that that particular virus is not likely to be the precursor to SARS-CoV-2:

"The SARSr-CoV virus identified in pangolins in the present study is genetically related to 2019-nCoV, but is unlikely directly linked to the outbreak because of the substantial sequence differences between 2019-nCoV and Pangolin-CoV. A virus related to Pangolin-CoV, however, appears to have donated the RBD of the S protein to 2019-nCoV."

I'm not sure about the certainty of the second sentence either. I haven't seen an analysis (that I can follow) of exactly how that would have taken place, or whether that is likely.

It seems to me that the chimera would have worked the other way, to be consistent with the data - the evolving virus, before SARS-CoV-2, (wherever it was evolving) could have ended up contributing to that chimera SARSr-CoV in the pangolin (because my understanding is that that pangolin virus is only remarkably close in the spike protein - and may actually differ more from SARS-CoV-2 in other areas than does RaTG13).

The (fact?) that that pangolin virus is more different than RaTG13 in other areas of the genome other than the spike protein when compared to SARS-CoV-2 speaks against it being the precursor for SARS-CoV-2, at least the way I am thinking about it. (I wrote this sentence before I found the quote above, which confirms this statement...)

So it could have been (ignore the ....... I added them to create space) :

Common Ancestor -> SARS-CoV-2 precursor -> SARS-CoV-2
|............................................. |
|.............................................. ---------> + Some other virus = Chimera produced in Pangolin (SARSr-CoV)
|
----> RaTG13

But no idea, as it's hard for me to follow this stuff. I would point out that this paper linked above is discussing amino acid % differences, rather than nucleotide differences, when they refer to % similarity. Need to be careful to compare identical measures when assessing similarity. The purifying selection Trevor refers to is just saying that SNPs which result in actual amino acid modifications are more likely to be selected against. Which is why there is a smaller % of amino acid differences than nucleotide differences.

At least that is my layman's understanding. Maybe a geneticist here can comment on the likelihood of which way this chimera might have gone.

Anyway, looks like they are still searching. Seems like the right thing is to go find some bats and pangolins and keep searching and sequencing viruses. Seems like eventually they'll figure out the likely source & the mechanism based on the genetics. There's going to be a VERY similar virus out there somewhere in one of these animal populations, I would think.

(As an aside, I would think that conspiracy theory about it coming from a bat research lab should be relatively easy to prove/disprove (as long as China cooperates). They can just publish the sequences of all the viruses they've been working on at that lab. It'll be pretty clear from the sequence whether they had a virus that was very similar to SARS-CoV-2. Finding the right precursor virus in the wild animal population would also likely disprove that conspiracy theory.)

Last edited:
But perhaps more to your point, if we intentionally wiped out all those bats, what unintended consequences might occur?

Apparently if you wipe out all bats then people in the west might get more obese:
What would happen if bats went extinct?

It is conceivable that if the entire bat population was wiped of the earth decades ago COVID-19 would not be among humans now. But I wouldn't consider bats as the ultimate enabler in this unfortunate pandemic.

No, I am pretty fit, routinely ride my mountain bike & road bike, rock climb, backpack, etc. I have no conditions. However, I'm absolutely petrified of getting the disease, as I have calculated it is about 10-20x more dangerous than the flu for my age group. And when I last had the flu about 20 years ago, I felt like I was going to die (it's the only time I've sought medical help for an illness), though I was probably not even close to dying .

Not only is it more dangerous, I think it's far from clear for the ~10-20% of people who end up with a serious case whether the recovery of lung function is complete and total. I would like my lungs to be 100%, thank you very much.

There's a significant number of people who become seriously ill, even without known co-morbidities (about 1/3 of the ~700 US deaths under age 50 match this pattern - https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/08/young-people-coronavirus-deaths/). Medical professionals don't understand exactly why, as far as I know (it may be something genetic, but all speculative). Of course, people with these other conditions are at extremely high risk, but I'm at significant risk as well.

The other factor is that my wife is not as lucky as I am, and it's fairly likely that if I get the disease, she will get it as well, and it'll likely kill her.

If you have a household member who is at higher risk, that is a concern. I've mentioned a friend who is a store delivery truck driver in the SE US and he's freaked out about how cavalier everyone around him is. He's concerned because his mother is high risk and she lives with him part time.

There is some evidence coming out of China that people who do get a serious enough case to be hospitalized and recover often do have lung or heart damage. Heart disease is a factor because this disease can also put a load on the heart.

This is amazingly naive. If you are older meaning over 55 you are at elevated risk for a more severe manifestation. If you are male you are at elevated risk as well. So this easy Breezy weather forecast you're providing just doesn't square with the epidemiologic facts. Even younger people describe this often as a brutal experience. And a certain percentage of young people die even if they don't have so-called pre-existing conditions. So it's really a bit of Russian Roulette if you are casual and think that this is just the flu so you don't have to really worry if you contract it. The fact that your experience with it was relatively benign of course is not a basis for judgment. EDIT CORRECTION: you just quoted an experience somebody else was describing.

It's about like your risk of death in a severe car accident (let's say defined in this case as an accident where your car is totaled). Depending on the severity of accident it can be anywhere from 2 to 40%, with the analogy to death in this accident severity hinging on your age, your gender, and whether you have any known or unknown so-called pre-existing conditions). Do you regard severe car accidents as trivial also? Would you advise anybody to sort of no-sweat-easy-breezy through the risk of an accident in which their car was totaled? Because that's kind of what you're saying about covid-19.

I'm over 50, male, I have mild asthma, and I've almost certainly had it. I didn't know I had it until I was over it and my SO got it the next day. She had symptoms of a mild chest cold for about 4 days. She's older than I am.

I can't get tested for the antibodies yet, but I'm on a waiting list. When I first started getting it, I lost my sense of smell with no sinus stuff going on. Something that never happened before. I had a sort of mild asthma attack that last 10-14 days and some oddly elevated heart rate.

If you worry about everything that could kill you, you could make it a full time thing. An asteroid could hit the Earth tomorrow. I live near three volcanoes that could erupt at any time, one blew its top in 1980. There is a major subduction zone just off the coast that can create big earthquakes. Someone could go crazy and start shooting at the supermarket next time I go there.

I weigh my odds of things and dial back worry about low risk things. I'm at an age where a lot of men get heart attacks, but there is no history of heart disease on either side of my family and I take reasonably good care of myself. I monitor my health and watch for abnormalities, but I don't lie awake at night worrying that I'm going to die of a heart attack.

If I had any risk factors beyond gender and chronological age and I wasn't 90% sure I had already had it, I would be concerned about COVID-19. For some people it's a serious risk, but the data from all over the world shows that about 80% of the population don't have any serious complications with it.

According to the CDC data, 12% of patients were hospitalized. Of that 12%: 17% were 55-64, 18% were 45-54, and 20% were 20-44.

Of all cases (hospitalized and not), the percentage of those hospitalized in age groups are:
20-44 - 2.4%
45-54 - 2.16%
55-64 - 2.04%

Data drawn from here:
Severe Outcomes Among Patients with Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19

This discusses risk factors, but does not discuss the percentage of people hospitalized with no known risk factors. It's not zero, but it's definitely less than 2%. Most likely much lower than 2%.

People in a high risk age group and/or with other risk factors should be concerned. Very concerned. You're risk is far higher than 2% if you get it. Those of us at low risk should not be taking risks because most of us have friends and family who are higher risk and we need to take precautions to make sure we don't give it to them because even if you have no symptoms, you can be contagious.

But there is a difference about being mortally scared you're going to get something when you are in a low risk group and being careful about the health of those around you who are in a much higher risk group. Spending time spinning your wheels over low risk possibilities is wasting energy that can go into something more constructive.

Reactions: abasile and TEG
But we don't shut down the economy to prevent severe car accidents.
The risk of a severe car accident is much, much lower. A 1% chance of death and some 10% of hospitalization is equivalent to getting into a bad accident 3 times a year. If this were the case very few would drive cars.

Besides, have you heard about keeping a safe distance from the car in front of you ;)

Apparently if you wipe out all bats then people in the west might get more obese:
What would happen if bats went extinct?

Their main point:
Bats consume millions of insects worldwide, helping control the populations of insects that damage crops and spread disease in humans

However, we are now killing more insects with cars than bats were ever able to consume. So without bats wouldn't we just go back to an older status quo, insect-wise?

A Car ‘Splatometer’ Study Finds Huge Insect Die-Off

• Funny
Reactions: guidooo
People in a high risk age group and/or with other risk factors should be concerned. Very concerned. You're risk is far higher than 2% if you get it. Those of us at low risk should not be taking risks because most of us have friends and family who are higher risk and we need to take precautions to make sure we don't give it to them because even if you have no symptoms, you can be contagious.
Yes, this is the main thing.

Besides, I don't even know what my risk is ! Not < 30 (actual low risk age group), not over 60 (high risk). I've T2D - but well controlled with no medication. But I've high risk people in my family - which means if I get it, I could pass it on and it could kill them ! That is an unacceptably high risk ...

BTW, here's the story of a local doctor who got covid in Evergreen. It almost killed him - and he was on ECMO for a week. He was healthy and just 45.

EvergreenHealth doctor opens up about ‘brush with death,’ recovery after coronavirus

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Today is the birthday of our neighborhood's 5 year old twins, a boy and a girl. No birthday party.
So several families dressed up their cars and did a parade for them and my wife drove the Tesla.
At the end of the parade she had the Tesla do the Model X Dance for the kids.
She said the parents also got a kick out of the show not just the kids. Many did not even know they have falcon wing doors.
I was teaching my daughter to cook so I had to miss it.