Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go out and look. Drive around. Do you see day laborers wearing PPE? Do you see the PD telling them to disperse? Such laws will have little effect on the majority of those who get infected.
The off-the-books workers never skipped a beat. I'm as guilty as anyone since our common area maintenance and our office cleaning probably uses illegals for labor. We do not interface with their staff at all though, we are not within 30' of their staff at any time, and we required them to be masked to be on our property.

This is feel good law will mostly be used to arrest protesters. Thank God they suspended the BoR for 2020.
Not sure what you're talking about, construction and maintenance are allowed under the order.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Not sure what you're talking about, construction and maintenance are allowed under the order.

Exactly. Unrestricted, no PPE or distancing necessary. Day laborers gather in groups of 20 or more at their staging areas.
This is not a xenophobic rant, it's an observation of what I see when I'm driving around. What few stats that are available concerning this issue emphasize that Hispanics are largest group of C19+.

This is a vector they are not addressing correctly, much like the nursing homes, who coincidentally are also mostly staffed with Hispanics. You can't have exemptions based on PC if you are serious about quarantine. Nobody died from lack of landscaping or maintaining distancing with PPE. Is that too much to ask of the Governor?

Adrian Hill, Director, Jenner Institute at Oxford University, says their vacine may be available in 6 mths because it has been in development for decades (an effort to stop other corona viruses).

They adjusted their vacine for Covid-19 and tested it on 6 monkeys at the Rocky Mountain Laboratories in Montana. The monkeys did not get sick after exposure to the virus.

Manufacturers are scaling for production. If futher trials are successful, the first batches for humans may be available in Europe by September.

Director Hill told NBC News on Tue, Apr 28: "We are aiming to make 100s of millions of doses of the vacine."

I take it the monkeys have been released from lockdown? They are going to be in demand. Do they have jobs yet?

• Disagree
Reactions: bkp_duke and ChadS
EM has now admitted he has relationship problems. Never a good thing for him and with even deeper issues this time.

LV boring company project is likely to be in some kind of vague status. What urban center is going to have the money to invest in tunnels when there is no tax revenue?

Fremont opening is possible but there is a clear risk that it could be reclosed if there is an uptick in COV issues.

Getting much favorable regulatory attention on FSD testing is likely to be even more difficult these days. Driving miles in shadow mode for testing have to be dropping off.

SpaceX seems to be moving along but at some point launches may be impacted. No launches, no money flow and hard to even think of selling StarLink if deployment is slowed and likely a lot less venture capital in play. Moon contract is a bright spot.

Staffing issues have to be tense as Fremont is not a particularly affordable area.

I suspect EM is going to move into the factory or move to China based on the selling of everything. He may be looking at adapting space in the factory to living space for the shift workers or maybe trailers onsite. He usually leads the way when asking a lot of his workers. If they can find a way to make product then there is a market for it IMO.

I once worked (very briefly) for the NW pacific RR in a section crew on the Eel river in northern CA. There was no housing and the RR, our employer, put us up in rail cars. I drove out about once a week for provisions. There always seems to be a way to get important things done.

All these things hitting him and few/none have an engineering solution. These are societal issues in an election year and have no particularly clean way forward. I feel for him. Something is up it seems to me and I hope he has the support to do it well.

Reactions: jhm
Exactly. Unrestricted, no PPE or distancing necessary. Day laborers gather in groups of 20 or more at their staging areas.
This is not a xenophobic rant, it's an observation of what I see when I'm driving around. What few stats that are available concerning this issue emphasize that Hispanics are largest group of C19+.

This is a vector they are not addressing correctly, much like the nursing homes, who coincidentally are also mostly staffed with Hispanics. You can't have exemptions based on PC if you are serious about quarantine. Nobody died from lack of landscaping or maintaining distancing with PPE. Is that too much to ask of the Governor?
I agree that the health department should focus their efforts on where C19 is spreading.
It would be nice to know what activities are contributing to the continued spread. I think that quarantining people who test positive in hotels would be a huge benefit.
Here's the data for San Diego County. Of course hispanic people are overrepresented among essential workers.
Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 10.52.50 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: MXLRplus
Hmm, I wonder if air planes could have built-in UV lights. It could zap those boogers while in flight, not just between flights.
Arrive at your destination virus-free and with a savage tan!
Do you think its just teh relaxed countermeasures that pushed R down to ~1 or is it a combination of relaxed countermeasure and herd immunity pushing R down?
I don't think even Stockholm is approaching herd immunity, the rest of the country less so.

Someone posted mobility data that showed activity in Sweden had dropped dramatically. They're pretty big on personal space even in normal times. They started early and have a responsible citizenry so I expect everyone with symptoms is strongly isolating. Asymptomatic transmission alone may not be enough to keep Rt above 1.0 in the face of moderate countermeasures. Of course harsh countermeasures would cut it further, as would effective test&trace. Sweden should pursue the latter, but their testing looks pretty weak.

• Funny
Reactions: jhm
It would be nice to know what activities are contributing to the continued spread. I think that quarantining people who test positive in hotels would be a huge benefit.

Agreed. What I find strange is the "outbreaks" count in the weekly report. I do feel like the health department could give us a much more detailed view of what is happening in San Diego. It might even help people understand what to avoid, if they understand the nature of the outbreak.

What does this "outbreaks" number mean, exactly? Any epidemiologists here? How many of the cases are due to just these outbreaks, and how much is background community transmission? If the vast majority of cases are isolated to outbreaks, we might not be THAT far from being able to execute on case-based suppression techniques with TTI/Q.

That's the other thing about these state numbers that can be misleading. It's a lot different to have 1000 community transmission cases than it is to have 1000 cases all focused in one facility. You're a lot closer to containment when you have a single outbreak of 1000 cases than you are with 1000 diffuse cases of unknown origin.

I've not seen this really broken out (in detail) anywhere in any state's data presentation.

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 11.05.34 AM.png

https://www.sandiegocounty.gov/content/dam/sdc/hhsa/programs/phs/Epidemiology/COVID-19 Watch.pdf

I think there are a lot of mistakes that will look much more ridiculous in hindsight.
It seems ridiculous to expect perfect information about how a novel virus spreads.
It's gonna look ridiculous that the WHO and all the early data pointed to one thing......testing. And we decided to set the building on fire instead.

When there's an avenue to clarity, why on Earth didn't we do that before literally blowing up the world?

Just went googling around to very this concept that kids are unlikely to spread cv19 and was surprised to see plenty of articles indicating this up to 3 or 4 weeks ago. How hard would it have been to test and trace this theory out?

Then I get to read SARS the Original wasn't really able to be spread by kids either. They had a hard time contracting it, and when they did it was rare to see transmission. The amount of trauma we've dumped on impoverished American kids with this mess is unforgivable.

Boy with Covid-19 did not transmit disease to more than 170 contacts

At the end of the day, if Trump's not gonna test properly from the get go, I guess a lot of the alarmism was really only logical. We could've done far better tho, even with the Trump headwind.

So why aren't we focusing on nursing homes? Pretty easy to do and many lives to save.

I'm pretty sure they're doing that! It's a huge emphasis. The virus tends to get in anyway, though different jurisdictions have not f'ed around as much as others, and have had better success.

You basically can't take any chances if you don't want it getting into the homes. Workers can only work at one home, can have no outside contacts, etc. Lots of PPE use, etc. All the things you would have to do to completely eliminate the chance of transmission.

This virus does not f**k around. It is very contagious. It isn't the measles, but it's very contagious.

EM has now admitted he has relationship problems. Never a good thing for him and with even deeper issues this time.

LV boring company project is likely to be in some kind of vague status. What urban center is going to have the money to invest in tunnels when there is no tax revenue?

Fremont opening is possible but there is a clear risk that it could be reclosed if there is an uptick in COV issues.

Getting much favorable regulatory attention on FSD testing is likely to be even more difficult these days. Driving miles in shadow mode for testing have to be dropping off.

SpaceX seems to be moving along but at some point launches may be impacted. No launches, no money flow and hard to even think of selling StarLink if deployment is slowed and likely a lot less venture capital in play. Moon contract is a bright spot.

Staffing issues have to be tense as Fremont is not a particularly affordable area.

I suspect EM is going to move into the factory or move to China based on the selling of everything. He may be looking at adapting space in the factory to living space for the shift workers or maybe trailers onsite. He usually leads the way when asking a lot of his workers. If they can find a way to make product then there is a market for it IMO.

I once worked (very briefly) for the NW pacific RR in a section crew on the Eel river in northern CA. There was no housing and the RR, our employer, put us up in rail cars. I drove out about once a week for provisions. There always seems to be a way to get important things done.

All these things hitting him and few/none have an engineering solution. These are societal issues in an election year and have no particularly clean way forward. I feel for him. Something is up it seems to me and I hope he has the support to do it well.

Companies with ties to the Department of Defense are under orders to keep operational, I imagine SpaceX got the same letter. No auto factory in Korea closed more than 7 days, and they did it building by building, not the entire facility.

As far as testing goes, best I can tell SK tested fewer than 2% of their population. That's not enough to stop an epidemic.

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
NEJM just published 3 case control studies and an editorial related to ACEI and ARB medications
These meds are widely used in Diabetes, hypertension and heart failure patients
NO increased risk has been identified.

Cardiovascular Disease, Drug Therapy, and Mortality in Covid-19
M.R. Mehra and Others

Renin–Angiotensin–Aldosterone System Blockers and the Risk of Covid-19
G. Mancia and Others

Renin–Angiotensin–Aldosterone System Inhibitors and Risk of Covid-19
H.R. Reynolds and Others

Inhibitors of the Renin–Angiotensin–Aldosterone System and Covid-19
J.A. Jarcho and Others

Last edited:
  • Helpful