Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hubei is in (2147). The downward trend continues.

upload_2020-2-8_23-25-57.png

upload_2020-2-8_23-26-26.png

Only other change since the last graphs was +7 to Other_Global (7 new cases in Singapore).

Last edited:
View attachment 509718 https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
8632 increases confirmed from Friday count to Sunday. More than 27% increase in one weekend. The graphics in the right down corner looks like it’s flattening, but how come when going from low 30’s to 40’s in one weekend?

I think that's how the graph has always displayed the current day's data. The new cases are still increasing, no signs of slowing yet.

• Helpful
Reactions: Wenche
View attachment 509730 View attachment 509718 https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
8632 increases confirmed from Friday count to Sunday. More than 27% increase in one weekend. The graphics in the right down corner looks like it’s flattening, but how come when going from low 30’s to 40’s in one weekend? Ok, looks like nothing is reported, so the graphics takes it as no increases.
The problem with that graph is that it doesn't do area by area, which is the important part. See the graphs posted by Karen Rei a few posts up.

The problem with that graph is that it doesn't do area by area, which is the important part. See the graphs posted by Karen Rei a few posts up.

The way they present the information in general is extremely unhelpful :Þ It was my disappointment with that site that led to me writing the graphing scripts I did. Apparently some other people I've run into nearly ended up doing so themselves for the same reason.

Reactions: jerry33
Hopefully this virus is mild as suggested by this article because I don't think we can slow it down.

Transmission of 2019-nCoV Infection from an Asymptomatic Contact in Germany

NEJM is committed to offering updates

This is fake news.

Report of Asymptomatic Transmission of 2019-nCoV Inaccurate

---
According to the news report, the authors who published their findings of asymptomatic transmission in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) last week gathered their evidence from interviews with other patients who had been in contact with her. But when government health officials in Germany spoke to the woman herself, she reported having felt sick at the time the transmission occurred.

“I feel bad about how this went, but I don’t think anybody is at fault here,” coauthor Christian Drosten, a virologist at the Charité University Hospital in Berlin, tells Science. “Apparently the woman could not be reached at first and people felt this had to be communicated quickly.”

---

WHO has discussed asymptomatic transmission before.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-so...20200201-sitrep-12-ncov.pdf?sfvrsn=273c5d35_2

---
HIGHLIGHTS • The main driver of transmission, based on currently available data, is symptomatic cases. WHO is aware of possible transmission of 2019-nCoV from infected people before they developed symptoms. Detailed exposure histories are being taken to better understand the pre-clinical phase of infection and how transmission may have occurred in these few instances. Asymptomatic infection may be rare, and transmission from an asymptomatic person is very rare with other coronaviruses, as we have seen with Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus. Thus, transmission from asymptomatic cases is likely not a major driver of transmission. Persons who are symptomatic will spread the virus more readily through coughing and sneezing.
---

Note that even if humans manage to artificially select for a mild strain of the virus by stamping out symptomatic/major cases but not asymptomatic/minor cases of the disease, that's not exactly a bad thing. Eradication is of course the goal, but reducing the disease to yet another seasonal flu to add to our seasonal flu vaccines isn't exactly a bad thing either.

Last edited:
This is fake news.
Yep

Note that even if humans manage to artificially select for a mild strain of the virus by stamping out symptomatic/major cases but not asymptomatic/minor cases of the disease, that's not exactly a bad thing.
Extremely unlikely. The single example I can think of that kinda sorta fits the bill is synthetic polio vaccination

Yep

Extremely unlikely. The single example I can think of that kinda sorta fits the bill is synthetic polio vaccination

Artificial selection happens to diseases all the time; its the reason why most seasonal colds and flus are mild. People with mild cases go to work / school / shopping where they can infect other people; people with severe cases stay home.

Spanish Flu was the opposite. Occurring during WWI, people with mild cases stayed in their trenches, but people with severe cased were loaded together onto trains and shipped to overcrowded, poorly sanitized hospitals on the outskirts of cities where they could spread.

We humans intentionally or unintentionally select strains of our diseases. Usually, but not always, for mild ones.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
So, they seem to have stopped giving out province-level data apart from Hubei, just totals. I've correspondingly added a "Non-Hubei China" line to the graph, and am dropping the breakdown graphs.

Only 1638 Hubei cases today. I expect the international total to grow with new cruise ship cases.... though I'm honestly surprised that we haven't seen a big batch out of Japan because of that already today - just two cases out of Japan so far today.

upload_2020-2-11_22-52-1.png

Last edited: