Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHO Director Ghebreyesus: "China is no longer the greatest concern ...what is happening in the ROW that is now our greatest concern, My message to each of these countries is: This is your window of opportunity, ... If you act aggressively now, you can contain this virus."

In another report:

WHO Chief in China, Bruce Aylward in an interview: "The only successful measure we've heard about to date to contain Covid-19 is here in China, ... Citizens of Wuhan, the world owes you something."

Success is also reported from Singapore.

The picture will differentiate further in the next days and get clearer. That should help to eliminate fear.

As reported from me before and heavily pushed back by some, the WHO said now officially that the numbers in China goes down and the focus is now on ROW. That has been expected. ROW will be countries that learn from the China example and will be able to put the right measures in place and we can expect them to do well too if they do and others who won't do well will hopefully accept help from the WHO.

Most people think that a wild and hefty spread of the virus like at start in China will happen everywhere but the world learns what works and what does not to isolate and reduce the spread. This is underestimated. The same is true for treatments. Yes its severe and yes its no kindergarten but it can be managed and with an increasing learning curve even in the absence of a vaccine for the longer future likely a year it can be managed.

We of course will see many more countries with cases in the next days but what most miss is that if you just have a very few cases in a country and knows the measure to isolate them its not an uncoordinated spread to be expected. Don't get confused with countries added to the list with an exponential risk increase. That two different thinks.

I expect that next week emotions will temper down and people will adjust to a new situation and many will realize they overacted. At that stage the stock market will go up again. Hard to say how long it takes but will happen.

P.S. Just in, Italy new cases down to 233 from yesterday I believe +500

Last edited:
Visit a public restroom. What % of people proper wash their hands? Occasionally, I see people not even bothering to wash hands. (I specifically remember those at work and make sure not to interact closely, lol).
I am not telling you that handwashing is not important -- it is !
I am telling you that appropriate use of an N95 mask is a very important part of not getting infected by aerosolized diseases.

Question about the N95 masks - they've become awfully difficult to find, at least around where I'm at. I'm wondering about efficacy for this purpose of the N100 masks. I found 1 of those at a local hardware store - the packaging sounds to me (as a non-medical professional) like it's the same as an N95 mask, only finer particulates (N95's looking like something carpenters use for wood dust and similar, while N100's are something you use for lead paint, mold, etc.. remediation).

So I grabbed one of the N100's in case I need something like this later (or I wasted $20 -I'm ok either way, with N95's getting WAY, WAY more expensive or non-existent).

You know, I could say that you've got the wrong party and it is Democrats that want partial birth abortion and kill babies, but that would be political (although correct).

Can we knock off the political talk here? This post too, of course, once the mods delete the other ones.
Definitely agree, please knock off political talk and inflammatory language. Let's focus on available facts.

Here's a study from the NIH on major factors that contribute infant mortality:
Poverty, urban-rural classification and term infant mortality: a population-based multilevel analysis

upload_2020-2-28_11-42-15.png

Unfortunately we're currently doing the opposite of what those conclusions suggest...
1 in 4 rural hospitals is vulnerable to closure, a new report finds
Proposed federal cuts threaten to close more Texas rural hospitals

Question about the N95 masks - they've become awfully difficult to find, at least around where I'm at. I'm wondering about efficacy for this purpose of the N100 masks. I found 1 of those at a local hardware store - the packaging sounds to me (as a non-medical professional) like it's the same as an N95 mask, only finer particulates (N95's looking like something carpenters use for wood dust and similar, while N100's are something you use for lead paint, mold, etc.. remediation).

So I grabbed one of the N100's in case I need something like this later (or I wasted $20 -I'm ok either way, with N95's getting WAY, WAY more expensive or non-existent).

I bought a half-mask a while back... I'm not sure why these aren't more popular. Maybe because they're heavier? You can test the seal by covering the filter and inhaling. The filters are cheap (were cheap?) and you can sanitize the mask.

I should have sold my TLSA and bought masks...

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 12.47.45 PM.png

These are going for >$50 now...

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
I expect that next week emotions will temper down and people will adjust to a new situation and many will realize they overacted. At that stage the stock market will go up again. Hard to say how long it takes but will happen.

P.S. Just in, Italy new cases down to 233 from yesterday I believe +500

I agree! I think today is the day to buy cheap stocks. My expectation is that we gap up at the open Monday.

I am not telling you that handwashing is not important -- it is !
I am telling you that appropriate use of an N95 mask is a very important part of not getting infected by aerosolized diseases.

Okay, that discussion makes sense. However, what I was referring to was all contamination sources, not just what is suspended in air. A mask will not keep you protected from touching surfaces, especially when others, including children, are not properly washing hands. And, I'm sure you likely know how long different viruses can survive on hard, non-porous surfaces.

I agree! I think today is the day to buy cheap stocks. My expectation is that we gap up at the open Monday.

Let's see what the results are from Super Tuesday. That could have a significant effect on the markets.

Italy new cases down to 233 from yesterday above 500.

I had the same thought and bought calls this morning. To buy stock would have resulted in a situation where I can't sell them any more - turns out I am simply not able to sell a single Stock for some more years to come therefore calls have been my only option :)

Okay, that discussion makes sense. However, what I was referring to was all contamination sources, not just what is suspended in air. A mask will not keep you protected from touching surfaces, especially when others, including children, are not properly washing hands. And, I'm sure you likely know how long different viruses can survive on hard, non-porous surfaces.

1) That's another benefit of masks. It doesn't stop you from touching contaminated surfaces, but it does stop you from touching your face with your contaminated hands.

2) The notion that "viruses survive X days / weeks outside the body" is highly misleading. How infectious a contaminated surface is starts to decline within just minutes, and dramatically by several hours - even though its technically "possible" to be infected days or weeks later.

3) The above raises a more important issue, in that in general, protection is all about probabilities. Masks reduce your risk of being infected. Washing your hands reduce your risk of being infected. Many different precautionary measures reduce your risk of being infected. Ultimately, it's impossible to be "100% sure" you won't get infected, but precautionary steps make a big difference.

I had the same thought and bought calls this morning. To buy stock would have resulted in a situation where I can't sell them any more - turns out I am simply not able to sell a single Stock for some more years to come therefore calls have been my only option :)

Where did you see that Italy had above 500 new diagnoses yesterday? BNO cited two reports, 75 and 127 (total = 202).

Note that we can still get more reports today; the day is not over yet.

The conventional wisdom would be that should Bernie do well, the markets would begin to price in the probability of a Sanders Presidency and sell off.

I remember pundits saying the same about Trump. Even if that's true... I'll take a 20% hit if that means we get join truly developed countries where no one loses their home because they got sick or a loved one got sick. The fact that happens in 'merca is an embarrassment and needs to end yesterday.

There are very few confirmed cases in the US, because ... I'll let the reader draw their own conclusions.

Because they haven't been confirmed yet.

Coronavirus Test Kits Sent to States Are Flawed, C.D.C. Says

Too funny! You’ve just given me a good reason to buy calls!

The conventional wisdom would be that should Bernie do well, the markets would begin to price in the probability of a Sanders Presidency and sell off.

Okay, have travelled through a portal into a parallel universe? We're discussing investor roundtable topics in the coronavirus thread, and not the other way around? Is this the upside-down? ;)