Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe, maybe not

China took aggressive public measures that countries outside Asia have not replicated
The Chinese were compliant with instructions

E.g., the US has a deranged monkey and a religious zealot dictating public health measures.

You think if the Corona epidemic gets widespread that it will skip the White House?

Thats absolutely not the case.

In Europe all mild cases are isolated at home.
Are Austria and Italy in Europe ?

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30493-1/fulltext
COVID-19: Virus spreads across Europe — but borders stay open

Italy says it follow the WHO recommendations
file:///media/fuse/drivefs-920848fa2c14ff5af9cc01d7d30cdad5/root/Odds%20&%20Ends/WHO-2019-nCoV-SurveillanceGuidance-2020.4-eng.pdf

Notice the definition of a Contact, and consider what that means if isolated people are not being tested.

Last edited:
Reactions: replicant
Mild cases are not even going to the hospital thus not being discharged. Serious cases in Germany are 2/129

Recommendation is to stay at home. These people will in most cases not even been tested and don't make it in the statistics.

Fatal case is 0

Well most of these numbers are from China since ROW accounts for 1/8th of the total statistics.

But yeah there's more bias toward more mild cases not counted. We can assume most known severe cases are counted.

Yeah, don’t know why we are even counting anymore. This thing is in the wild as much as any seasonal flu now. The media is in panic mongering mode with an agenda, of which I am not entirely sure of the reasons why, but do have some ideas past the ‘bleeds it leads’ click baiting.

This flu is nasty. As time goes on, the death rate will keep dropping as it is finally understood how many people actually have it, the vast majority of whom simply recover. It will be back, like all flus, on an annual basis.

At some point a switch will be flicked and we will move on.

You think if the Corona epidemic gets widespread that it will skip the White House?
I think Pence is trying to convince trump to pray together, while trump is cooking up his next ' Covid-19 is a hoax' speech while grinning at the thought of CDC officials starting off each interview with "President Trump says ..."

I do wonder how many days will pass before federal public health officials tender resignations.

Last edited:
China reported just 193 new cases in Wuhan, 3 in Hubei ex Wuhan and 6 in Other China on 1st March.
It looks like they are beating it.
This sets an example for other countries what they can do if they start testing people on greater scale and taking the virus seriously. South Korea seems on track with scaling up testing, i'm not sure about others yet.

Thats absolutely not the case.

In Europe all mild cases are isolated at home.
Here are the current CDC guidelines for testing Persons Under Investigation.
Seems only the first group could be sent home with these instructions for Home Care.
The below need to be considered though:
  • The patient is stable enough to receive care at home.
  • Appropriate caregivers are available at home.
  • There is a separate bedroom where the patient can recover without sharing immediate space with others.
  • Resources for access to food and other necessities are available.
  • The patient and other household members have access to appropriate, recommended personal protective equipment (at a minimum, gloves and facemask) and are capable of adhering to precautions recommended as part of home care or isolation (e.g., respiratory hygiene and cough etiquette, hand hygiene);
  • There are household members who may be at increased risk of complications from 2019-nCoV infection (.e.g., people >65 years old, young children, pregnant women, people who are immunocompromised or who have chronic heart, lung, or kidney conditions).

Okay. Let’s set the record straight since it seems like everyone is just repeating the same mistake over and over.

You canNOT simply calculate a mortality ratio by including all newly confirmed cases in the denominator.

The statistics on morbidity and mortality for the regular flu is pretty darn accurate because the variables are a known quantity and it’s something that has happened in the past.

Also, for the situation at hand, ratios that show things like infections/deaths per million is not really helpful. It’s very vague without context.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doggydogworld
China reported just 193 new cases in Wuhan, 3 in Hubei ex Wuhan and 6 in Other China on 1st March.
It looks like they are beating it.
This sets an example for other countries what they can do if they start testing people on greater scale and taking the virus seriously. South Korea seems on track with scaling up testing, i'm not sure about others yet.

It seems feasible the virus can be almost entirely eradicated in China even in Wuhan within one to two weeks.

On 1st March there were 141 new suspected cases, 715 total remaining suspected cases and 46,219 close contacts still under medical observation in China. Compared to one week ago on 23rd Feb when there were 620 new suspected cases, 3,434 total remaining suspected cases and 97,481 close contacts still under medical observation.

Despite the progress in China, I think this virus should be taken extremely seriously. It has huge potential human cost. Fatality rate looks extremely high for such a contagious virus (I would guess so far fatality rate of concluded cases has been around 1% factoring in under diagnosis) and if we reach pandemic levels fatality rate could rise significantly higher (given we will not have nearly enough intensive care unit beds or equipment to treat people to the same standard as we are currently).
While there is a chance of the virus weakening over time and of drug treatments and vaccines getting approval before too long, I don't think we should count on these.
Governments should act now with the measures that are available: tracing and testing of contacts, quarantine, disinfections, hand washing, face masks, clear advice etc. We know from China that these work. The longer governments delay while trying to save on short term costs or to avoid short term economic impact, the larger the true human cost will be.

Last edited:
It seems feasible the virus can be almost entirely eradicated in China even in Wuhan within one to two weeks.

I have nothing against you.

But, people without a science or medical background should really stop posting false information in absolute terms. There’s a lot of Googling done as well, because some people are using terms even I’ve barely heard of while in the industry.

The chance of eradicating this virus—ESPECIALLY—in a county as vast as China is next to nil. Viruses, particularly RNA viruses just don’t go away. Why do you think we get a flu shot for influenza A every year?

Do you actually know how many infectious diseases have been successfully, in your words “almost entirely eradicated”? Guess....

less than the number of digits on an average person’s hand.

Thanks! That would be a cheap and available treatment.

If the trials do show efficacy, the drug will not be cheap. I won’t go into details of how patents, particularly across international lines are granted (and fought over). But the only thing for sure is, it won’t come cheap to the average person if successful. But, also largely depends on how insurances wil bill it for as well.

If the trials do show efficacy, the drug will not be cheap. I won’t go into details of how patents, particularly across international lines are granted (and fought over). But the only thing for sure is, it won’t come cheap to the average person if successful. But, also largely depends on how insurances wil bill it for as well.
Sure? From Wikipedia:

“Chloroquine was discovered in 1934 by Hans Andersag.[3][4] It is on the World Health Organization's List of Essential Medicines, the safest and most effective medicines needed in a health system.[5] It is available as a generic medication.[1] The wholesale cost in the developing world is about US$0.04.[6] In the United States, it costs about US$5.30 per dose.[1]

I have nothing against you.

But, people without a science or medical background should really stop posting false information in absolute terms. There’s a lot of Googling done as well, because some people are using terms even I’ve barely heard of while in the industry.

The chance of eradicating this virus—ESPECIALLY—in a county as vast as China is next to nil. Viruses, particularly RNA viruses just don’t go away. Why do you think we get a flu shot for influenza A every year?

Do you actually know how many infectious diseases have been successfully, in your words “almost entirely eradicated”? Guess....

less than the number of digits on an average person’s hand.

I do have a scientific background and there is nothing absolute in my comments.

You are the one who appears to have absolute certainty that we should allow this virus to spread without fighting it.

We didn’t always have the tools to counter virus outbreak. And very rarely has the negative potential been so clear that governments have been incentivised to do what they need to do.
But it is possible to eradicate when there is a huge financial incentive to do so.

Whether governments choose to here is far from clear and seems on the whole unlikely. In China they have done and the original Wuhan outbreak looks largely beatable. But it will be back in the long run if other governments, businesses and charities don’t follow China’s lead on a global scale.

Last edited: