Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's not the point. The point is that if I tested positive then I know I'd be ok to go out in 2 weeks, or go volunteer or whatever. If I'm negative then I don't have to worry about infecting family. Now I don't know so I have to make uninformed decisions.

US testing has been a massive failure. The contrast to some other developed nations is incredible.
No argument. I've been griping about don't test/don't tell for a month. You'll be able to get tested in a week or so. They're rolling out these drive-through centers now, but focused on hotspots first.
btw: there are a number of delivery services that can deliver water/other products to your doorstep so you can honor the isolation. Fiji, ReadyRefresh, AquaMaestro to name three that deliver a high number of products.
I have a faucet that delivers water right to my sink!

Does not explain why Italy is so hard hit.
I thought it was pretty self-evident. Touching hugging culture, high air pollution, high smoker rate, overwhelmed medical facilities, aging population with several generations living together. Probably some more that I can't think of right now.

I thought it was pretty self-evident. Touching hugging culture, high air pollution, high smoker rate, overwhelmed medical facilities, aging population with several generations living together. Probably some more that I can't think of right now.

and didn't they do very limited testing? The number of people who had the virus before shutting down could have been huge. Just speculation by me though.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
This chart tells an amazing story.

It seems like we are approaching the response completely wrong. We are unemploying 100’s of millions worldwide, wrecking the travel, entertainment, restaurant, sports industries, which will have ripple effects through real estate, aircraft companies, restaurant supply chains, banks...

And we are telling many people who are at very low risk they cannot work, because they may infect someone who is at great risk. It seems a far, far better approach to educate the people who have the conditions below, (and provide unemployment to those high risk people if they currently work), and then let them choose whether to self isolate or not.

It seems completely backwards to tell millennials and all other low risk individuals, they can not work, go out... because they may infect a high risk person who has chosen to not self isolate. It’s like saying we’re willing to destroy the economy and trigger a horrible recession, to preserve grandmother’s right to still go out, if she chooses. Grandmothers and Grandfathers and others with the conditions below, should be able to make the choice if they want to risk it or not, and family and society should focus on helping them if they choose not to risk it, by delivery services, unemployment...

It just seems so backwards to unemploy the healthiest and trigger a global massive recession if not depression, prolong the pain..., just so the at-risk (who are a much smaller percentage), can still socialize.

upload_2020-3-19_15-35-53.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-19_15-34-55.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-19_15-34-55.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 41
  • upload_2020-3-19_15-35-12.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-19_15-35-12.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 27

It seems like we are approaching the response completely wrong. We are unemploying 100’s of millions worldwide, wrecking the travel, entertainment, restaurant, sports industries, which will have ripple effects through real estate, aircraft companies, restaurant supply chains, banks...

And we are telling many people who are at very low risk they cannot work, because they may infect someone who is at great risk. It seems a far, far better approach to educate the people who have the conditions below, (and provide unemployment to those high risk people if they currently work), and then let them choose whether to self isolate or not.

It seems completely backwards to tell millennials and all other low risk individuals, they can not work, go out... because they may infect a high risk person who has chosen to not self isolate. It’s like saying we’re willing to destroy the economy and trigger a horrible recession, to preserve grandmother’s right to still go out, if she chooses. Grandmothers and Grandfathers and others with the conditions below, should be able to make the choice if they want to risk it or not, and family and society should focus on helping them if they choose not to risk it, by delivery services, unemployment...

It just seems so backwards to unemploy the healthiest and trigger a global massive recession if not depression, prolong the pain..., just so the at-risk (who are a much smaller percentage), can still socialize.

View attachment 523482
I'm glad to see more thinking around this lines. I hope all social shaming of anyone who thinks differently will fade away and we will be able to discuss risk/benefit of different scenarios.

View attachment 523482

Careful this type of logical thinking will get you publicly shamed.

I do agree to an extent but would add some points. Most office jobs who can work from home without issue should still do so. If no reason to go to office then don't go.

Education and putting in steps to minimize the risk is key (along with more testing).

But yea, completely killing the global economy is not a good idea. We are going to deal with waves of unemployment.

Do you know Italy is not even taking older people (let alone with co-morbidities) into ICU ? They have so many younger people in ICU on ventilators.

That's a story that needs to be emphasized to our millennials...at least one country is showing that young folks are getting severely sick and hospitalized too....it will be interesting post-crisis on why that happened (significant number were smokers, vapers, etc.).

Reactions: Thekiwi and Lessmog
He will say anything to move the market up!

View attachment 523493

Would you rather he just spit out negative news? During times of crisis, leaders need to be calm and preferably uplifting (ie FDR). A stock market recovery is important for the world.

I'm not a fan of his personal characteristics but I want him to project positively to very worried citizens. I've used Dr Birx and Dr. Fauci a few times in this OP....their skillset & positive demeanor is uplifting and the President should do the same.