Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a great list, and for a moment I thought you are going to lift this discussion to a scientific level. Like when kids are having a pillow fight in the living room and then the parents come home.

And then you are talking about a CFR below 1%, and only in the case of busting our healthcare system, you talk about "way more than 1%". Possibly 5%.

Most of the countries we look at for comparison have a CFR higher than 1%, many much higher. Italy has a CFR above 10% country-wide.

The CFR is even more dependent on variable numbers than the IFR. Which number isn't?

The number of deaths? That's the number when everything is literally too late.

My point was merely that we were dismally unprepared and that a lot more people are going to die "than needed to" (a bare minimum of mortality - whatever that might reflect). That's all.

What I don't really like about that flyer is that there are other recognized symptoms people with CV19 have that aren't listed on that form and we know that not everyone who has CV19 will present with coughing and fever for example. So it misses a lot of people potentially from seeking some type of medical advice/isolating in their household/medical treatment and keeps more carriers out there and in close contact following stay-in-place even with those in their household. Been reading how families are among the highest breeding grounds for infecting others.
Yeah, I think what they should do is just list all the known symptoms of COVID-19 and have a telephone number to call. Have an operator ask if they experiencing any of those symptom and then tell them to stay at home. No one should be going anywhere with any symptoms right now.

And fortunately, wildly pessimistic

Only 0.2*0.25 of hospitalized are subject to differences in expertise.

I may not be following. But, why do they bother to take up beds for people in serious condition, then, if them not being hospitalized (something like 15% of people are in serious but not critical condition) is not necessary?

Hair clippers are sold out everywhere. The latest casualty of the rona. And I really need a haircut.

I was thinking today how long my hair will be come May. Was laughing at my husband's hair length too. I keep telling myself I'm not going to try cutting it on my own. Important thing is that we're healthy when we are able to get it cut professionally and our stylists are too and still working.

I was speculating about a situation where a large number of people who need medical care would be receiving zero medical care.
That is different than 'quality.'
I suspect the mortality skyrockets when patients who need it do not have access to oxygen. Oxygen can be provided at home.

This is why I wrote earlier that the effort spent scrambling around for vents would be much better spent making sure that oxygen supplies are adequate in the locations that have a significant hospital bed deficit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Daniel in SD
Hair clippers are sold out everywhere. The latest casualty of the rona. And I really need a haircut.
Lots of stuff sold out. Muffin pans are not shipping for another 2 weeks on Amazon. Ofcourse webcams are completely sold out too.

BTW, Amazon doesn't have much fresh deliveries open too. Local QFC doesn't have deliveries/pickup options for next week.

Obviously none of these are able to scale up quickly to meet demand that has suddenly increased.

• Informative
Reactions: Norbert
I think even UV will break the masks down, but slower process in doing so, and enable reuse of a few times.

I've been interested in the results of disinfecting as for a home user and without access to any additional masks that I have and given to my mom to use, it does concern me about reuse. I don't think I've seen any articles with test results for masks put out in the sunlight.

I know there are different wavelengths for UV light bulb/tubes sold and wondering if someone has a UV blacklight (for GID purposes like at halloween time) there would be any benefit to using those type of lamps. Anyone?

I saw this TV Fox61 news story online about a company, Avon, that makes a product called ReadyDock that utilizes UV light to sanitize. Avon company ReadyDock using UV light to sanitize surgical masks amid COVID-19 pandemic (incl. Interview video with CEO/founder and demonstrates how it works).

For all those discussing home UV sanitization, please note there is a separate thread discussing these
(Coronavirus) On UV Sanitization

I took some good instructions from others on this thread to build our own UV sanitization box which we are using to sanitize masks for now.
(Coronavirus) On UV Sanitization

There are several other great designs on there as well for those interested.

• Helpful
Reactions: SMAlset
California Dept. of Public Health reports that they are down to only 13,000 pending tests (from approximately 60,000 earlier this week).

Great to see the backlog getting cleared.

State Officials Announce Latest COVID-19 Facts
Looks like the backlog almost all came out negative. That makes some sense as Quest was told to prioritize inpatients, healthcare workers, etc. But still it seems weird that 40k+ tests would produce almost zero positives.

Unless they decided those samples were so old it wasn't worth running them any more and just tossed them :)

https://www.sacbee.com/news/politics-government/capitol-alert/article241774351.html

A new immunity test from Stanford University and an increased focus on screening for coronavirus will help the state dramatically ramp up testing over the next few weeks, Gov. Gavin Newsom said Saturday, with an ultimate goal of getting Californians back to work.

[...]

The Stanford blood test is just “hours” away from federal approval and could allow people to begin to return to work, Newsom said. The tests are “serological,” and could determine whether someone has developed antibodies to the coronavirus. In theory, those who develop immunity may be able to safely interact with others without catching or spreading it. [bold added]

[...]

It’s unclear the timeline for U.S. Food and Drug Administration approval, even as regulators on March 16 amended their policies for so-called emergency-use authorization.

The test will begin to be used on Californians in the coming week, said Dr. Charity Dean, assistant director at the California Department of Public Health.

[...]​