Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walmart will be limiting customers in the stores based on the square footage of the store. They will also be designing one-way paths using floor markings for customers to travel to attempt to prevent coming close to others. I know my husband when shopping for us said he really tried to not enter aisles with others and to stop and wait for people to pass before heading to where he wanted to go. From NBCNews:

Walmart to limit customers, create one-way traffic inside its stores

Hair clippers are sold out everywhere. The latest casualty of the rona. And I really need a haircut.

I was thinking today how long my hair will be come May. Was laughing at my husband's hair length too. I keep telling myself I'm not going to try cutting it on my own. Important thing is that we're healthy when we are able to get it cut professionally and our stylists are too and still working.

I needed a short Corona Cut to keep me from touching my face at work. My wife took on the challenge, her only previous stylist experience was with her doll's hair as a child. After deep cleaning our dog shears with bleach, she had a grand time in our back patio clipping away.

Dog clippers work well for Dogs and Dougs.

IMG_2277.jpeg IMG_2280.jpeg

Alcohol will "discharge" the filter media of N95 respirators with electrostatic filters.

Information and FAQs on the Performance, Protection, and Sterilization of Face Mask Materials | University of Tennessee Research Foundation

Placing them on/near metal surfaces can do the same, so if they're heated up in an oven to disinfect them, make sure they're suspend away from any metal surfaces.

I wonder if they should be using wooden clothespins, or plastic? I have a clip on my desk that looks like the ones they are using in the UV disinfectant room and its actually metal.

Oh yeah - yeast is even harder to find than toilet paper.

We had to start a sourdough starter today instead. Fingers crossed.

The shortages almost seem random, and many are illogical. But we did get farm fresh Dragon Fruit today. WTF is a Dragon Fruit, and where the heck does it come from??

Here's a strange tidbit. This was my first shopping trip in a month. I saw the checkers weren't wearing masks, so I offered free surgical masks to the young man and young woman working the registers, and they refused politely. I guess they didn't take the hint that a produce clerk is a potent vector in a contagion. I would have thought they could have spent them like cash.:confused:

I needed a short Corona Cut to keep me from touching my face at work. My wife took on the challenge, her only previous stylist experience was with her doll's hair as a child. After deep cleaning our dog shears with bleach, she had a grand time in our back patio clipping away.

Dog clippers work well for Dogs and Dougs.

View attachment 529405 View attachment 529406
My wife has been cutting my hair for a while. It’s more convenient than a barber, and it’s paying huge dividends now!

If only she’d give me a shot on her hair...

disclaimer: CFR is unreliable during an outbreak

but man they sure do have a high deaths to cases ratio in France and UK that is heavily spiked recently. France might dip back down due to the way past cases were all dumped on Apr 2, 2020 but UK doesn't have that excuse. Italy and Spain look rough in both ratio and absolute numbers but seem to be in the peak already.

So will the US deaths spike to meet numbers like the 4 countries bolded with 8+% deaths per confirmed cases or will we prevent that?

Italy 12.07%
Spain 9.23%

USA 2.48%
France 9.11%
UK 8.66%

View attachment 528778

View attachment 528774

View attachment 528776

Look at how artificially low Frances numbers were, then a giant spike and 3 days of larger numbers.

upload_2020-4-5_0-19-47.png

upload_2020-4-5_0-20-18.png

upload_2020-4-5_0-22-41.png

if any of those look like smooth curve to you we must live in a different universe.

My wife has been cutting my hair for a while. It’s more convenient than a barber, and it’s paying huge dividends now!

If only she’d give me a shot on her hair...

Go big and go bald! Been shaving my own pate for the past decade. Those cordless clippers are practically foolproof. Try it on your avatar first if you're still worried!

I was thinking about haircuts the other day, and what they tell us about our nation's C19 quarantine response.
Nobody on TV has a hair out of place, nor do any politicians. And none wear masks.
All the barbers and hair salons are supposed to be closed in Hollywood, New York, and DC.
I guess rules are for fools? :D

I’m waiting to see masks on Dr. Brix and Dr. Fauci. Saw part of the press conference today and people were still close together.

So the president says he won’t wear a mask because he doesn’t think it’s appropriate for him but with the death toll climbing and even the WH thinks we will see hot spots take off this week/next really what kind of messaging does this send?Many of his support States still aren’t wanting/willing to enact/enforce some of the policies to keep people healthy and alive and chance their health. Some governors have said they are following his lead. Where does that get him when those states start seeing how infectious and deadly this is with their own populace? Sick and dead voters is how I look at it. Not a win/win but lose/lose.

Apart from the mask wearing, there was also his offering the statement that he might take that malaria medication. He would talk to his doctor. That surprised me to that he would essential endorse it to others so casually like that.

I wonder if they should be using wooden clothespins, or plastic? I have a clip on my desk that looks like the ones they are using in the UV disinfectant room and its actually metal.
Either is fine.

Q1: Can the masks be treated by heat?
A: Yes. As indicated in Figure 1, masks can be treated in hot air at 70°C for 30 minutes, and this process can be repeated multiple times without a noticeable loss in FE. But be sure to suspend the masks in the hot air without contacting or nearing a metal surface. The respirator can be hung in the oven using a wood or a plastic clip on the edge of a non-breathing zone or put on a wood grill at least 6” away from any metal surface. Hold the edge of non-breathing zone when doffing the mask, and do not touch the inside part of the mask because your hands might become contaminated at this time if the mask was. After donning the masks, wash your hands thoroughly using soap and water for at least 20 seconds according to CDC guidelines.

The first web link in Q3 shows similar insignificant charge decay results after treating the mask at 70°C for 30 minutes. This link also shows the results of killing E. coli using the above treatment protocol.

Reactions: byeLT4
The one day jump was from data adjustment of previously not counted deaths.

yes, I know that but it's not just a one day jump, look at the image again

that's a 3 days higher than the entirety before that, they did report a bunch of stale data as an adjustment but that was supposedly a one time event, Then you have two other days with drastically higher numbers than before the "adjustment".

So either they did more adjustments on the 2nd and 3rd day and/or they all the sudden got on top of putting real data in and the new data makes it obvious how bad the data was before that.

Reactions: JusRelax
yes, I know that but it's not just a one day jump, look at the image again

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/attachments/upload_2020-4-5_0-19-47-png.529418/

that's a 3 days higher than the entirety before that, they did report a bunch of stale data as an adjustment but that was supposedly a one time event, Then you have two other days with drastically higher numbers than before the "adjustment".

Yes, if you were not counting nursing home cases and is now counting them consistently, you would see a big spike then continued higher number of deaths every day after that.

I guess if you want to make an alternative fact interpretation, you would appear on FAUXNEWS and say the consistent drop of deaths in the prior 3 days and declare the pandemic over.

Yes, if you were not counting nursing home cases and is now counting them consistently, you would see a big spike then continued higher number of deaths every day after that.

are you saying they made that change, prior to the one time adjustment they didn't count nursing homes, and post adjustment they do?

edit: looking at worldometer notes for those 3 days all 3 days have nursing home data added. So the question is will future days include that data or is this just a temporary backlog of records they are trying to catch up on?

Do you guys have a kitchen with a warming drawer?? Not sure where this quote below came from directly (was it you @omgwtfbyobbq?) but it made me look up the user manual for our warming drawer. Our model has several presets and adjustable temp settings and one of the presets is at 70C (their Medium preset). Also has a timer I believe. Perfect! No messing around for creating UV boxes. Keeps my oven free.

Q1: Can the masks be treated by heat?
A: Yes.
As indicated in Figure 1, masks can be treated in hot air at 70°C for 30 minutes, and this process can be repeated multiple times without a noticeable loss in FE. But be sure to suspend the masks in the hot air without contacting or nearing a metal surface. The respirator can be hung in the oven using a wood or a plastic clip on the edge of a non-breathing zone or put on a wood grill at least 6” away from any metal surface. Hold the edge of non-breathing zone when doffing the mask, and do not touch the inside part of the mask because your hands might become contaminated at this time if the mask was. After donning the masks, wash your hands thoroughly using soap and water for at least 20 seconds according to CDC guidelines.

The first web link in Q3 shows similar insignificant charge decay results after treating the mask at 70°C for 30 minutes. This link also shows the results of killing E. coli using the above treatment protocol.”

Last edited:
In an emergency, you don't necessarily have to go to the ER, an ambulance can take you there. I personally know of a landscaper who was mowing a lawn underneath a beehive, got stung over 100 times. Ambulance took him to the ER and he spent three or four days in the hospital, fortunately fully recovering. The hospital wrote it down to thousand dollars or so or wrote it off completely.

Certainly the healthcare landscape in this country is far from perfect. If you have assets to protect from bankruptcy you need to have insurance. If you can't afford insurance, there's Medicaid. You can apply for Medicaid at any time. If you lose your insurance, you can get coverage immediately under the Federal Affordable Care act using Healthcare.gov in most states to enroll. There is also Cobra and other plans like the Children's Health Insurance Program.

Many are covering Coronavirus testing and treatment without charge or co-pays.

While (unfortunately) not universal for now, particularly with chronic long-term illness, there are protections for most. Also unfortunately, there will be far more bankruptcies due to the financial impact of the virus than to the costs of treating the virus itself.

-

I think everyone's missed nwdiver's point. The millions of recently unemployed no longer have health coverage.

And cobra is crazy expensive (premiums are 3x what they were while employed) and usually out of the question unless you have a condition that you're in the middle of treating. Paying for health insurance is usually not high on someone's priority list, when they're unemployed. It's way behind rent, food, utilities, and gas money.

And with hospitals being potential breeding grounds for covid-19 (in addition to MRSA and other anti-biotic resistant diseases), how can that even be a reasonable alternative for those without health coverage through no fault of their own?

With moderate assets (primary home, cars to drive to work) to protect, but no funds to pay the health insurance, these "protections" are potentially life-threatening (financially if not physically) for the middle class. I guess they could file for bankruptcy, but that just leaves the hospital in that death-spiral scenario of charging more from those who can still pay.

This is a problem, and bound to catch many people in the next few months. Unless a recession occurs, then they're SOL.