Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not think you have clicked my link and read the information from 8 distinguished critical care doctors.
Frontline COVID-19 Critical Care Working Group

Then you would be wrong.

Which seems to happen to you a lot.

you are the one who doesn't appear to have read your own link.

Because it doesn't say a damn thing about a "cure" for Covid-19

Instead it suggests a treatment strategy, specifically for the worst cases within a specific time-frame, that can mitigate the absolute worst of the damage of the disease.

That's incredibly damn far from a "cure"

Then you would be wrong.

Instead it suggests a treatment strategy, specifically for the worst cases within a specific time-frame, that can mitigate the absolute worst of the damage of the disease.

It sounds like you think "cure" means miracle cure -- 100% success in all cases and time-frames.

I don't see that definition of "cure" in my dictionary, and I already said MATH+ is not a miracle cure.

But back to my main point: Do you think MATH+ should be ignored because it's not a miracle cure?

Edit: If you watch the video, Dr. Varon in Houston says he had 0% mortality in a series of 24 patients. That doesn't seem "incredibly damn far" from any definition of cure.

Last edited:
Then you would be wrong.

PS: MATH+ does more than "mitigate the absolute worst of the damage of the disease." It prevents ICU admissions and intubation, and sends patients home alive, able to breathe, presumably able to live. Show me where the website says they go home with only the absolute worst damage "mitigated."

Team Trump Pushes CDC to Dial Down Its Death Counts

A good thorough debunking of the death count is fake theory.
And Deborah Birx, the coordinator of the administration’s coronavirus task force, has urged CDC officials to exclude from coronavirus death-count reporting some of those individuals who either do not have confirmed lab results and are presumed positive or who have the virus and may not have died as a direct result of it, according to three senior administration officials.
It's curious that one of the criticisms of the China Covid death count was that it originally only included deaths as Covid if the patients were confirmed positive.

That's politics for you.

Nothing is perfect, but I am OK with counting mortality during the epidemic in excess of historical norms as Covid related.

Yes, politics. What business has Birx "urging" the CDC to do anything? What's her qualification for that? Her main objective usually seems to be to sweet talk the situation, not scientific accuracy.

It appears it was no coincidence that Birx was promoting the probably most optimistic model at the time, the IHME model (which has now doubled its prediction). The model was too low. Promoting it in that way a mistake. Birx was wrong, and instead of admitting it, goes into denial, following Trump's pattern.

Yes, politics. What business has Birx "urging" the CDC to do anything? What's her qualification for that? Her main objective usually seems to be to sweet talk the situation, not scientific accuracy.

It appears it was no coincidence that Birx was promoting the probably most optimistic model at the time, the IHME model (which has now doubled its prediction). The model was too low. Promoting it in that way a mistake. Birx was wrong, and instead of admitting it, goes into denial, following Trump's pattern.

When Birx was introduced as part of the COVID response she immediately attempted to excuse the Trump admin's testing failure by comparing it to AIDs and saying it took 4 years to come up with a test for AIDs so it was still a great accomplishment to come up with an accurate COVID test in months/weeks

That told me all I needed to know

When Birx was introduced as part of the COVID response she immediately attempted to excuse the Trump admin's testing failure by comparing it to AIDs and saying it took 4 years to come up with a test for AIDs so it was still a great accomplishment to come up with an accurate COVID test in months/weeks

And what was it that was all you needed to know?

And then there was the sycophantry and flattery of Trump on one occasion saying he had an amazing ability to absorb information. At that point you knew she was a hoe, looking to gain traction within the administration by telling the president what he wanted to hear. Her recent pronouncements have to be further Evidence that she has little integrity.

The CDC and FDA totally botched the rollout of a test for COVID-19. They forced the use of a test that did not work while everyone else was using the WHO test which does work. Surely Dr. Birx knew this and if she didn't then that is also damning.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/inve...cdc-test-kits-public-health-labs/?arc404=true

For me it was more the way she compared coming up with an AIDS test to coronavirus. Entirely diff things with one being magnitudes of order more difficult. It’s very shameful to use the 4 years it took to come up with an AIDS test to excuse the CV testing failure. Birx is a doc who worked on AIDS she knows the situations are not analogous at all

Last edited:
For me it was more the way she compared coming up with an AIDS test to coronavirus. Entirely diff things with one being magnitudes of order more difficult. It’s very shameful to use the 4 years it took to come up with an AIDS test to excuse the CV testing failure. Birx is a doc who worked on AIDS she knows the situations are not analogous at all
She also assured us public health departments could fight COVID via test and trace because they'd done it with AIDS in Africa. Geez, the high risk behavior for AIDS in Africa was unprotected sex. The high risk behavior for COVID is breathing. Not quite the same thing.

Smart-Ass Model is continuing to moderate its ultimate projections. Cases are down to 2.08M and deaths down to 128k. We'll see how much this is just weekday cycling.

One advantage of the smart-ass model over the dumb-ass model is that the weekly cycle of deaths and case are in different phases. So maybe integrating the two can reduce some of this effect. You can see this cycling both in the observations and fits in the charts below.

View attachment 540098

View attachment 540099

View attachment 540100

View attachment 540101

I think we may be starting to see some meaningful decline in cased growth and death. According to my smart-ass models, ultimate projections have been dropping to 1,925k cases and 119k deaths. I watched this drop over the weekend, but did not post here as I thought it was just the weekly dip. Tuesdays and Wednesdays tend to be strong number days, but the ultimate projections have not gone back up.

As always, there may be yet future waves that are not yet influencing recent numbers to register in this model. So keep washing hands, social distancing, etc.
upload_2020-5-13_23-32-19.png

upload_2020-5-13_23-33-11.png

upload_2020-5-13_23-33-43.png

Looks like pretty solid science to me they're focusing on a particular mutation in the spike protein termed Spike D614G. This mutation however is associated with several other mutations so functionally it's hard to conclude that the dominance of this particular strain of the virus as it spread through Europe and then New York is solely due to the spike protein mutation. In other words this Spike mutation is embedded in I think three or four mutations referred to as a haplotype. But it does look as though this mutation may have made the virus significantly more contagious, even than the original Wuhan bug, which itself was much more contagious than SARS 1, also due to the spike protein having higher conformity with the ACE2 receptor compared with SARS1.

For folks interested in a deep dive on the hard science I've attached a file link
It is interesting reading and mostly above my pay grade. The D614 mutation is not in the binding domain however, so the conjecture about positive steric changes will require more evidence.

It sounds like you think "cure" means miracle cure -- 100% success in all cases and time-frames.

I don't see that definition of "cure" in my dictionary, and I already said MATH+ is not a miracle cure.

But back to my main point: Do you think MATH+ should be ignored because it's not a miracle cure?

Edit: If you watch the video, Dr. Varon in Houston says he had 0% mortality in a series of 24 patients. That doesn't seem "incredibly damn far" from any definition of cure.

You’re honestly claiming the four letter word CURE doesn’t appear in your dictionary? Just let that sink in for a moment. Like if The Cure comes up on the radio do you instead hear The Who? Ridiculous.