Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I‘m pretty sure I was told at the time by her attorney that if all the paperwork was done, I’d still have to apply to the probate judge to wrap up her estate so there would still be some legal things to take care of and the value amount was important should she have forgotten to have designated a beneficiary. She went to the attorney after my dad died so this is something I still haven’t had to experience. I wouldn’t be surprised if each State had different requirements.
There are a variety of ways for property to end up in an estate unintentionally. Example: designated beneficiaries pass away before the decedent, and designations aren't updated. Always good to review these things regularly.

Also, be aware of debts. Houses may have mortgages, credit card debts may have piled up, etc. State law will govern who gets what, and what specific procedures the estate needs to follow to avoid trouble (like notifying creditors, for example). A good estate attorney can be quite useful; a bad one is worse than none at all. IANAL.

more on G5 protection:

Don’t Worry, This Box Will Protect You From 5G!

5g-shield-featured.jpg

of course, that will never work. they didn't use teflon coated wire on that active element, duh!

Someone does, since my Turbotax always asks me if the filer died in the past tax year. Does anyone ever answer "yes"?
Yes, when you're filling out your dead relative's tax return. Generally a 1040 is required for the year of death (assuming the taxpayer would normally have to file), and possibly a Form 1041 if there's income received after the date of death > $600.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC and madodel
Cant handle information? Or you think more than 1.5% of people will die than usually would compared to 2017/2018?
I'm not sure if you've noticed but no one around here is trying to predict how many people will die anymore. Early on it was easy, just do an exponential fit. If you look back people quite accurately predicted when we would hit 3300 and 33,000 deaths in the US. Now the populace has changed their behavior, both due to personal choice and government imposed restrictions. I believe that it has become impossible to predict how many deaths there will be. If you tell me how many people you think will be infected then I could make an estimate . Even then it's impossible to predict whether there will be improved treatments. Will there be a vaccine by next year?

• Helpful
Reactions: jjvan
Do dead people file tax returns? Or their estates?
Yes. Until the estate is fully settled, a tax return is filed. In cases where the estate is disbursed over many years (to a minor relative, for example, who gets a payment from the executor at 20, 25, 30, etc), the IRS must hear from the dead each and every year.
Robin

I think we may be starting to see some meaningful decline in cased growth and death. According to my smart-ass models, ultimate projections have been dropping to 1,925k cases and 119k deaths. I watched this drop over the weekend, but did not post here as I thought it was just the weekly dip. Tuesdays and Wednesdays tend to be strong number days, but the ultimate projections have not gone back up.

As always, there may be yet future waves that are not yet influencing recent numbers to register in this model. So keep washing hands, social distancing, etc.View attachment 541584

View attachment 541587

View attachment 541590
Time for a new update. Over the last week, ultimate (wave 1) projections have crept up a little bit, 2,159k cases an 134k deaths. To be sure, the creep upward is due to this last week's cases and deaths coming in a little higher than projected. So the good news is that cases and deaths are coming down, even if not as quickly as the last fitting of the model. It is certainly possible that relaxing stay-at-home practices are slowing progress toward shutting down the spread.

upload_2020-5-21_23-55-1.png
upload_2020-5-21_23-55-19.png

upload_2020-5-21_23-56-0.png

I'm not sure if you've noticed but no one around here is trying to predict how many people will die anymore. Early on it was easy, just do an exponential fit. If you look back people quite accurately predicted when we would hit 3300 and 33,000 deaths in the US. Now the populace has changed their behavior, both due to personal choice and government imposed restrictions. I believe that it has become impossible to predict how many deaths there will be. If you tell me how many people you think will be infected then I could make an estimate . Even then it's impossible to predict whether there will be improved treatments. Will there be a vaccine by next year?
I've simply shifted to updating my models less frequently, weekly rather than daily. Maybe not getting enough likes for effort.

Yes. Until the estate is fully settled, a tax return is filed. In cases where the estate is disbursed over many years (to a minor relative, for example, who gets a payment from the executor at 20, 25, 30, etc), the IRS must hear from the dead each and every year.
Robin
I'm sorry but that's wrong information. The deceased has to file a tax return for the year of death if he/she meets the filing requirements (mostly based on income). After the year of death no personal tax return ever has to be filed again regardless of the status of the estate.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Estate tax return (Form 1041) which has to be filed as long as it meets the filing requirements, which again are mostly based on income. Generally once it is settled the estate no longer has income and files a final return (Form 1041). It's rare for an estate to have to file more than 1 or 2 yrs of tax returns. You confused it with a trust (also files Form 1041) that can file for decades providing payments to beneficiaries.

Last edited:
Covid Projections says 190k by August 4th. That's up slightly the past week. They have Rt at roughly 1.0 for the US. States like NY, NJ, MA and MI are still below 1.0, but they no longer dominate the national numbers. They have large states like CA, TX, FL, IL, etc. at or above 1.0.

• Informative
Reactions: Norbert
That was nearly a month ago, and two weeks before that it was assumed to be 1-2%.

Same trend as Swine Flu. Early assumption of 1% quickly turned to 10%, which turned to a final analysis of "15-21% or more". Since cv19 is far easier to spread, my bet is we see 20-45% infection/exposure identified by late summer or fall in most dense areas.

NYC infection rate is almost surely above 20% already.

Coronavirus Has Infected A 5th Of New York City, Testing Suggests

I was curious if anyone had considered the Singapore data when throwing out these fatality rate numbers. Based on the ministry of health data they show the following:

294,414 Total swabs tested
191,260 Unique persons swabbed
17,672 Active cases
12,117 Discharged cases
23 Deaths

Singapore MOH

If you only look at discharged cases and deaths you get a fatality rate of 0.19%. Considering they have tested quite broadly and counted many asymptomatic cases that are likely missed in other countries, why would this not be a better example for fatality rate than most other places that have large outbreaks and limited testing?

I apologize in advance if this has been discussed already but this is a long thread with a lot of condescending comments and political snark that I really don't want to have to sift through.
Singapore is a pretty segregated country. With the circuit breaker lockdown they managed to get local transmission between permanent residents down to single digit numbers. Unfortuneatly spread among the foreign workers(think Pakistani construction workers) living in dorms exploded. Fortuneatly most of these workers are less than 70 years old, many being 20-50years which is why I think the IFR in Singapore will remain substantially lower than most other countries. Also Singapore has great modern health care with experience with SARS.

It's hopeless. The point is: No, there isn't a significant amount of extra people dying this year over this virus compared to previous seasons.All that matters is total mortality, because THERE IS TOO MUCH NOISE IN COVID DEATH CERTIFICATE NUMBERS. It's not an opinion, i provided data backing this up. But now we introduced an exogenous factor in: Lockdown/Fear: This will make over time more damage and deaths due to lack of medical care, mainly in cardiovascular and cancer. Some of them already happened now ( untreated strokes, im sure the cardiologists on the forum here will tell you how bad is it to let a coronary stay clogged and not get treated within 5 hours, and also how many people usually get strokes, and how many people in the last 2 months went to hospital to get assistance for them ( spoiler: less than 50% the usual amount ) ); and some of them will happen over time, we worsened the probabilities during these 2 months for the 70% of deaths that happen every year, for something that kills the same this year than it has killed before.