Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@AlanSubie4Life - do you have a way to look at the city level data on a day-by-day basis? Otherwise it seems like you have to record the numbers yourself from the PDF report they publish daily.

No, I don't. I have downloaded the PDF for future reference, which will be easier in future, but the way I did it was painful - I went to the dashboard and then looked at all the zip codes over time (right hand side).

I saw significant upticks in La Mesa, Barrio Logan/Skyline area, and also in the North County coastal and inland area zip codes (not sure exactly which cities, though I remember San Marcos had an uptick) there were troubling (but small) upticks.

Notable zip codes (on a % basis) were: 91941, 91950, 92008, 92009, 92027, 92078, 92105, 92111, 92113, 92114, 92130.

I listened to their conference call today. It sounds like they are partially attributing the uptick to the reporting of old batches of tests, but they were only PARTIALLY attributing it to that (the answer was not very clear tbh). The massive amounts of tests at the end of last week were due primarily to backlogs and technical difficulties, which have now been resolved, and apparently there is no further backlog at this point.

We're up to 10 community outbreaks now in the last 7 days (3 will drop off on Wednesday). The three new ones were all in business settings (construction, retail manufacturing, and a retail business). All but two of those 10 outbreaks have fewer than 10 people involved as of today, according to the conference call.

Live Blog: San Diego Reports 10 Active Outbreaks, 302 New COVID-19 Cases

They have not seen any specific trends related to protests at this point.

Currently we are on pause on reopening due to the trigger we hit, I guess. It wasn't clear what was included in things that still need to be reopened other than large gatherings.

It sounds like they're not planning to shut things down again in response to hitting more triggers. It sounds like if more triggers keep happening, they'll take targeted action to bring them under control. (For example, if restaurants start triggering, they'll try to figure out what happened and put in place additional protections to prevent further outbreaks of the same type.)

Their response to continued outbreaks is:

1) Education
2) Getting word out about practices that must be in place to prevent further outbreaks.
3) Following procedures to suppress the outbreak at a particular facility.

Young people are the hardest hit by unemployment, partial employment, and lack of health insurance. There are not a lot of deaths but there is no lack of hospitalization. The average hospital Covid-19 bill is $130K.

It is far too simplistic to say that they do not care about Covid-19 infection. It is just that for now, getting drunk and then laid is priority #1, #2 and #3. In more rational times it is only #1 and #2

I think the partial employment problem may have been a pre-existing condition before COVID. I look around my office every day and I see partial employment of all races and ages. ;)

Well this doesn't look good (CNBC), in addition to the 6 previously announced.

Two Trump campaign staffers who attended Tulsa rally test positive for coronavirus
It should be two more staffers test positive. Up to 8 so far (that have been reported anyway)

If the trump campaign had one iota of decency they would TT and probably end up quarantining the entire staff. I'm sure Fauci would tell them the same thing, as would the CDC

But the trump maggot ? Place your bets

Last edited:
That story is unfortunate since the worker was acting reasonably, but it is very easy to see in my community how people look for loopholes instead of complying with intent, and day by day try to do less. I find the idiots that wear the mask on their chin or below their nose obnoxious, and the only way to handle that sort of person is to be dogmatic.

I'm sorry it has to be that way. And truth be told, Elon knows very well that there are forces in the community just waiting for an excuse to close the factory down so Tesla rules are bound to be on the side of excessive. I would hope that Tesla has communicated this to their employees.

Last edited:
No, I don't. I have downloaded the PDF for future reference, which will be easier in future, but the way I did it was painful - I went to the dashboard and then looked at all the zip codes over time (right hand side).

I saw significant upticks in La Mesa, Barrio Logan/Skyline area, and also in the North County coastal and inland area zip codes (not sure exactly which cities, though I remember San Marcos had an uptick) there were troubling (but small) upticks.
<snip>
Thank you for the great summary!

Good to see that Tesla isn't screwing around. Sucks for those two employees, but COVID-19 is something we need to take seriously, and breaking the rules in a manner like this also means that these employees are also probably likely to be doing other things they shouldn't be.

Security wise, holding open side-doors is also highly frowned upon in general.

The faster a country required masks, the fewer coronavirus deaths it had: study

The authors looked at coronavirus death rates in 198 countries, trying to see why some had painfully high death rates and others very low.

“What we found was that of the big variables that you can control which influence mortality, one was wearing masks,” says Christopher Leffler of Virginia Commonwealth University, one of the study’s authors.

“It wasn’t just by a few per cent, it was up to a hundred times less mortality. The countries that introduced masks from the very beginning of their outbreak have had hardly any deaths.”

and for those that assume that means Asian countries
Outside East Asia, Slovakia and the Czech Republic moved to require masks early on and had low death rates as a result, Leffler argues.

“If you look at Latin America, Venezuela is an example where the very first day that they confirmed a case, the president demonstrated how to wear a mask on television. You can find around the world examples from many regions.”

link to study Association of country-wide coronavirus mortality with demographics, testing, lockdowns, and public wearing of masks. Update June 15, 2020.

Last edited:
Looks like everything is a go for Trump's rally tomorrow! All is well!

This is how you use magical technology to enable you to do whatever you want! Masks are a thing of the past. They are 2010s technology.

Phoenix church hosting Trump rally claims new air unit eliminates 99% of coronavirus
Phoenix Megachurch Hosting Trump Rally Says It Has Special Coronavirus-Killing Air System
In a video posted on Sunday, Senior Pastor Luke Barnett and Chief Operations Officer Brendon Zastrow announce happily that the church has installed a new air-purification system that kills 99.9 percent of the coronavirus. The technology, they say, was developed by members of the church.

A couple of Debbie Downer so called "experts" don't think this is going to work and think people need to do weak stuff like wear masks.

I guess we will know how successful their church member developed system works in a couple weeks.

don't think this is going to work
I agree; it is not going to work.

You can bet that whatever system they have is less effective than planes with N95 filtration and ~ 50% air exchange at a high volume -- and those planes still need passengers to wear masks to avoid infection and those passengers are not yelling into each others faces.

Another batch of infected morons

• Informative
  • Funny
Reactions: madodel and jerry33

You can bet that whatever system they have is less effective than planes with N95 filtration and ~ 50% air exchange at a high volume -- and those planes still need passengers to wear masks to avoid infection and those passengers are not yelling into each others faces.

Agreed. My understanding is that an HVAC system that filters out the virus means that the risk is the same from morning till night rather than increasing during the day as the virus become aerosolized, but it won't protect you from the infected person next to you.

Bah! Just have an air exchanger that exchanges all the oxygen for ozone and it will kill Coronavirus all day long.