Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ready for the slings and arrows (be sure and tell me where I'm wrong).
1. Masks do not provide provide total protection.... the virus can enter you through the mucus membrane in your eyes and UNLESS your mask is absolutely airtight, it can enter from the bottom, top and sides.
2. All you mask adjusters keep touching your face and mask and .... oh, never mind.
3. Keep re-breathing that hot, steamy, fetid air... you might just luck out and get fungal pneumonia..... the spores LOVE that environment.
4. Solution: wear a wet suit, scuba gear and goggles. Just don't eat or drink since that pesky virus will get you when you do (unless you can do it while in your scuba gear).
5. If you are afraid...STAY HOME! If you are sick... STAY HOME. To everyone else....LIVE LIFE!
Is this you?
downloadfile-44.jpg

3. Keep re-breathing that hot, steamy, fetid air... you might just luck out and get fungal pneumonia..... the spores LOVE that environment.!
I've never heard that Japan had rampant fungal pneumonia and the Japanese been wearing masks for years whenever they don't feel well. This really doesn't pass the sniff test.

That is interesting. I suspect that the workers that work inside buildings without ventilation are the problem, and the solution is to mandate ventilation along with social distancing and mask use. "Asymptomatic" or not is a red herring.

The Santa Clara County covid website has an outline of guidance for construction field safety, for both small and large construction, including inside people's homes. Ventilation is addressed in there - open windows etc and ventilation used where available. Masks and distancing have been there for some time now. Learn What to Do - Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - County of Santa Clara It would be nice if Cody was able to provide more color on where these cases came from, ie a particular job site but for privacy laws probably won't ever happen although they internally likely have that info now.

It would be nice if Cody was able to provide more color on where these cases came from, ie a particular job site but for privacy laws probably won't ever happen although they internally likely have that info now.

I would be curious if they could correlate factors with the spread...
* Indoor vs outdoor job site?
* Workers required to work close together such as in a lift bucket?
* Sharing of tools / supplies involved?
* Yelling to each other in a noisy environment?
* Improper mask wearing?
* Insufficient hand washing?
* Spread via portable/temporary restrooms?
etc...

Given that the county sees this as a major source of spread, they should be looking closely at this.

1. Masks do not provide provide total protection.... the virus can enter you through the mucus membrane in your eyes and UNLESS your mask is absolutely airtight, it can enter from the bottom, top and sides.
2. All you mask adjusters keep touching your face and mask and .... oh, never mind.
3. Keep re-breathing that hot, steamy, fetid air... you might just luck out and get fungal pneumonia..... the spores LOVE that environment.
4. Solution: wear a wet suit, scuba gear and goggles. Just don't eat or drink since that pesky virus will get you when you do (unless you can do it while in your scuba gear).
5. If you are afraid...STAY HOME! If you are sick... STAY HOME. To everyone else....LIVE LIFE!
So you're here for comic relief? How long did it take you to come up with list of stable genius comments?

I can't visit my daughter in Germany for who knows how long because there are so many literally terminally stupid people in this country that we are being put on a list of unwelcome people with Russia and Brazil, who also don't care about anything other than being stupid. This is about Public Health not your inability to care about anything other then whatever meaningless stupid things that you find irresistibly idiotic. This is not a joke. People are dying and people are going to be injured for life. Many who did nothing more than come in contact with someone who couldn't resist "live life".

Last edited:
So you're here for comic relief? How long did it take you to come up with list of stable genius comments?

I can't visit my daughter in Germany for who knows how long because there are so many literally terminally stupid people in this country that we are being put on a list of unwelcome people with Russia and Brazil, who also don't care about anything other than being stupid. This is about Public Health not your inability to to care about anything other then whatever meaningless stupid things that you find irresistibly idiotic. This is not a joke. People are dying and people are going to be injured for life. Many who did nothing more than come in contact with someone who couldn't resist "live life".
So stay at home..enjoy

There are two things to protect. Yourself (and by extension everyone close to you) and everyone else.

All your reasons simply point out that masks are not fool proof ways to protect yourself. No one is saying they are. The mask is to protect others if you happen to be an asymptomatic (or a heartless symptomatic) carrier. Your individual health is a binary outcome. Either you get COVID or you don't. But a pandemic is a game of probabilities. Reduce the chance of it jumping to a random stranger by ten, twenty, thirty percent and you can go from growing to shrinking cases in your community. And here's the positive feedback loop that ultimately helps yourself out as well - If masks make the pandemic shrink in size then public spaces will be safer for you over time.

Masks make sense. It's not guaranteed to protect you. It's not guaranteed that if you wear a mask it will cause your communities cases numbers to shrink. But DAMN IT a little discomfort is worth it when the overwhelming likelihood is that wearing masks helps make our communities less COVID-y.

It's not simply a choice of LIVE LIFE or SHUT IN. There's a middle ground of reducing social activities or keeping them to a single social bubble without eliminating all of them. There's a middle ground of giving extra space and wearing masks and still going out in public. Be generous to your fellow human, wear a mask.

(now please stop trolling)

There are two things to protect. Yourself (and by extension everyone close to you) and everyone else.

All your reasons simply point out that masks are not fool proof ways to protect yourself. No one is saying they are. The mask is to protect others if you happen to be an asymptomatic (or a heartless symptomatic) carrier. Your individual health is a binary outcome. Either you get COVID or you don't. But a pandemic is a game of probabilities. Reduce the chance of it jumping to a random stranger by ten, twenty, thirty percent and you can go from growing to shrinking cases in your community. And here's the positive feedback loop that ultimately helps yourself out as well - If masks make the pandemic shrink in size then public spaces will be safer for you over time.

Masks make sense. It's not guaranteed to protect you. It's not guaranteed that if you wear a mask it will cause your communities cases numbers to shrink. But DAMN IT a little discomfort is worth it when the overwhelming likelihood is that wearing masks helps make our communities less COVID-y.

It's not simply a choice of LIVE LIFE or SHUT IN. There's a middle ground of reducing social activities or keeping them to a single social bubble without eliminating all of them. There's a middle ground of giving extra space and wearing masks and still going out in public. Be generous to your fellow human, wear a mask.

OK

I'm being considered for a COVID trial in our system. Not a very exciting trial, HCQ v Placebo for 2 mo in high risk healthcare workers with a blood test before and blood test and nasal swab at end of trial. I'm awaiting determination if my current position is considered high risk. I'd be more interested in the Moderna vaccine trial opening next month.

• Helpful
Reactions: madodel

Great description of public health, where the young and healthy wear masks to honor the elderly and infirm.

Reduce the chance of it jumping to a random stranger by ten, twenty, thirty percent
The data says ~ 70 - 90%% infectivity reduction.

Your post is spot on. The mask use rationale approaches common sense, but even I admit that its effectiveness in a pandemic exceeds intuition. The math though is straightforward enough: R null *( 1 – infectivity reduction from mask use) < 1 shuts down an epidemic

Put another way, mask use is ~ equivalent to early herd immunity

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: madodel
I'm much more impressed by the pathetic politicos who say they do not mandate mask wear 'because it is un-enforceable.' Does anybody buy that pathetic excuse for non-action ?
Does it matter ? Looks like US has given up. Virus has won. US lost.

It’s the same usual - anyone tired of winning yet ?

ps : Inslee has made masks mandatory in WA.