Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thereyet.png

In California, the ICU beds are filing with Mexican migrants. They are 56% of the hospitalizations.
I hope you realize that many people who are getting infected with COVID-19 are "essential workers" who if they want an income CANNOT work from home and are on the front lines (e.g. supermarkets, restaurants offering takeout, other stores providing essential goods like Target and Walmart) during an entire workday and may come into contact w/many infected people. And, they may not be able to claim unemployment either since they can work.

To top it off, many of those "Mexican migrants" aren't that well off financially to begin with so they likely haven't had access to good healthcare before COVID-19. Also, some of these folks may live in a multi-generational household and/or w/many other people (for financial reasons), so if one person gets infected, it's quite likely the rest of the household might get infected.

Hourly workers also may not be able to take a significant amount of time off to get tested for COVID-19 (some areas have hours long lines to get tested) or afford to be able to take time off if they feel sick.

There have been many stories about the disparity on how people of color have been more affected by COVID-19 like What Do Coronavirus Racial Disparities Look Like State By State?.

I'm Asian and can work from home due to the nature of my work so my exposure to potentially infected people is limited and for very brief periods of time. I have health insurance due to my employer and my company pays us VERY well, so access to routine healthcare for me from a $ point of view is NOT a problem. Most of my company can work from home (and is, due to county mandate) and we don't have a large % of Hispanic/Latino nor black workers.

Last edited:
I hope you realize that many people who are getting infected with COVID-19 are "essential workers" who if they want an income CANNOT work from home and are on the front lines (e.g. supermarkets, restaurants offering takeout, other stores providing essential goods like Target and Walmart) during an entire workday and may come into contact w/many infected people. And, they may not be able to claim unemployment either since they can work.

To top it off, many of those "Mexican migrants" aren't that well off financially to begin with so they likely haven't had access to good healthcare before COVID-19. Also, some of these folks may live in a multi-generational household and/or w/many other people (for financial reasons), so if one person gets infected, it's quite likely the rest of the household might get infected.

Hourly workers also may not be able to take a significant amount of time off to get tested for COVID-19 (some areas have hours long lines to get tested) or afford to be able to take time off if they feel sick.

There have been many stories about the disparity on how people of color have been more affected by COVID-19 like What Do Coronavirus Racial Disparities Look Like State By State?.

I'm Asian and can work from home due to the nature of my work so my exposure to potentially infected people is limited and for very brief periods of time. I have health insurance due to my employer and my company pays us VERY well, so access to routine healthcare for me from a $ point of view is NOT a problem. Most of my company can work from home (and is, due to county mandate) and we don't have a large % of Hispanic/Latino nor black workers.

A significant portion of the cases are in the construction and landscaping labor pool. These occupations were deemed critical by the governor and are running full speed as you can probably tell. This is probably due to the fact that most the politicians in California are either in the real estate business or are closely tied to it.

Track demographics here: Race Ethnicity Infection rates are probably not genetic, this is behavioral differences.

My job was deemed critical by the Fed. We work on mostly medical devices, but also do work for the DoD/etc. We were warned not to reduce our hours by the US Attorney General's office. Several of our medical customers also require us to work right now.

My family is multicultural including Native, Hispanic, and Black family members. Our community is also multicultural.

EDIT - Note that if the Democrat Governor of California would have blacklisted construction and landscaping, we would not be seeing these numbers.

Video shows packed Michigan lake party despite warnings - CNN Video - one can see two videos if you skip to about 0:56. Unfortunately, Lake of the Ozarks as back in the "news" again.

London, England: Large crowds in London after coronavirus lockdown lifted - CNN Video

Vandals in Baltimore: https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2020/07/05/christopher-columbus-statue-baltimore-vpx.cnn/video/playlists/top-news-videos/

Etc. No area is immune from violating the mandates or guidelines.

Memorial Day at the river was also like these scenes.

Last edited:
EDIT - Note that if the Democrat Governor of California would have blacklisted construction and landscaping, we would not be seeing these numbers.
I don't recall the details and timeline of CA health orders but in my county (for example) and all the Bay Area counties (which had almost identical orders) for March 16th, construction was already curtailed.

Order of the Health Officer of the County of Santa Clara - Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - County of Santa Clara from March 16.
"For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence to provide any services or perform any work necessary to the operations and maintenance of "Essential Infrastructure," including, but not limited to, public works construction, construction of housing (in particular affordable housing or housing for individuals experiencing homelessness), airport operations, water, sewer, gas, electrical, oil refining, roads and highways, public transportation, solid waste collection and removal, internet, and telecommunications systems (including the provision of essential global, national, and local infrastructure for computing services, business infrastructure, communications, and web-based services), provided that they carry out those services or that work in compliance with Social Distancing Requirements as defined this Section, to the extent possible."

On March 31, they further limited it. Search Order of the Health Officer of the County of Santa Clara - Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - County of Santa Clara for construction. Coronavirus bans hit majority of Bay Area commercial, market-rate housing construction covered it.

Meanwhile many of the other essential businesses (search for essential in either order) like supermarkets, convenience stores, gas stations, hardware stores, restaurants (for delivery/takeout) continue to operate which means their workers can be exposed the entire workday to customers and other workers who might be infected.

Reactions: NikolaACDC
I don't recall the details and timeline of CA health orders but in my county (for example) and all the Bay Area counties (which had almost identical orders) for March 16th, construction was already curtailed.

Order of the Health Officer of the County of Santa Clara - Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - County of Santa Clara from March 16.
"For purposes of this Order, individuals may leave their residence to provide any services or perform any work necessary to the operations and maintenance of "Essential Infrastructure," including, but not limited to, public works construction, construction of housing (in particular affordable housing or housing for individuals experiencing homelessness), airport operations, water, sewer, gas, electrical, oil refining, roads and highways, public transportation, solid waste collection and removal, internet, and telecommunications systems (including the provision of essential global, national, and local infrastructure for computing services, business infrastructure, communications, and web-based services), provided that they carry out those services or that work in compliance with Social Distancing Requirements as defined this Section, to the extent possible."

On March 31, they further limited it. Search Order of the Health Officer of the County of Santa Clara - Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) - County of Santa Clara for construction. Coronavirus bans hit majority of Bay Area commercial, market-rate housing construction covered it.

Meanwhile many of the other essential businesses (search for essential in either order) like supermarkets, convenience stores, gas stations, hardware stores, restaurants (for delivery/takeout) continue to operate which means their workers can be exposed the entire workday to customers and other workers who might be infected.

Whatever you are reading, stop. Go out and look. I've been visiting customer sites the whole time the Covid mandates have been active. Landscaping never stopped, construction either continued or perhaps increased significantly in areas.

So you are saying that you see no construction projects and your grass is 3 feet tall? Post some pics.

Whatever you are reading, stop. Go out and look. I've been visiting customer sites the whole time the Covid mandates have been active. Landscaping never stopped, construction either continued or perhaps increased significantly in areas.

So you are saying that you see no construction projects and your grass is 3 feet tall? Post some pics.

Same here in San Diego. We live in a new neighborhood, and the landscapers and other construction workers never missed a beat out here. Been going full swing through the entire pandemic.

Landscaping never stopped, construction either continued or perhaps increased significantly in areas.

Construction definitely was curtailed for a period of time in the Bay Area. See these, for example:
Coronavirus Update: San Jose Officials Consider Easing Restrictions For Construction Work
Construction unions lobby Santa Clara County leaders to loosen restrictions - San José Spotlight
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose...ntractors-will-have-to-do-to-comply-with.html
Silicon Valley's largest developments delayed amid COVID-19 uncertainty - San José Spotlight
San Francisco Area Construction To Restart May 4, But Safety Requirements Questioned

I can't speak to landscaping being cut back or not. But again, look at what essential businesses have continued to operate ever since the original March 16th lockdown w/o any curtailment.

Cases up, deaths down. Weaker virus? Younger avg age cases?
View attachment 560753

it is clearly different this time. In March deaths spiked with about a two week lag in cases. We are three weeks into this second spike and deaths are only just starting to tick upward. But also note in the first spike that the weekly rise and dip pattern is absent as well. Testing capacity was just coming online and only the sickest could get tests in March. The stats in cases per day are drawn as one continuous line but it absolutely is wrapped up with test availability.

what is clear is that hospitalizations are increasing. Given the severity of the disease I fear that can only result in more deaths in the future.

DF9C25FD-187C-4B26-9177-5806E985788C.png