Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
America Is Refusing to Learn How to Fight the Coronavirus

For the first time in its history, indeed for the first time in any state anywhere at any point in American medical history, the Arizona Department of Health Services activated its crisis standards for hospitals, giving them more flexibility (and less liability) to triage the overwhelming number of new COVID-19 patients and ration care, presumably by focusing on those who could use it most and declining to treat the grimmer cases.

Thanks, Trump.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and Dr. J
JFK's Democratic party bears no resemblance to the assortment of traitors they have today. They are the fringe of the lunatic left, with ideas that are laughable, disturbed and disturbing. They hate this nation, the history of this nation, the Constitution and the founders who wrote it. The Democratic party has become the seed of destruction, planted within the nation. Stop watering it. Never vote for another Democrat at any level in any election. You can try to save the nation or you can help Democrats destroy it. You still have a choice in the matter. Someday soon you may not. See #walkaway you will be amazed.

Вы уже прояснили это с Путиным?
Just curious.
Robin

what worries me is that quite a bit of the replies in that thread (many of which got moved to the 'police' thread; aka, the cornfield) were not on the driver's side but were seemingly more on the cop's side, when it came to the virus issue. and so, if you happened to be in an area of the country that was more red than blue, you may have a very difficult time finding sympathetic jurors and even if you are right, you are still likely to lose the case.

again, its not the virus that's the worst part. with science and time, we can manage that. what I'm worried about is the pig stupid ignorance that is bred into about half of us and that shows no sign of going away.

I used to think that the problem was a lack of information but now I believe it's something different. There is in fact a kind of brainwashing of large sectors of the US population. The brainwashing obviously is in the service of protecting those in power, but also protecting long-standing vested interests. Speaking of brainwashing see the next post.

JFK's Democratic party bears no resemblance to the assortment of traitors they have today. They are the fringe of the lunatic left, with ideas that are laughable, disturbed and disturbing. They hate this nation, the history of this nation, the Constitution and the founders who wrote it. The Democratic party has become the seed of destruction, planted within the nation. Stop watering it. Never vote for another Democrat at any level in any election. You can try to save the nation or you can help Democrats destroy it. You still have a choice in the matter. Someday soon you may not. See #walkaway you will be amazed.

Nice! Didn't your Mom ever teach you to play nice with other boys and girls? At least you're living in the right State because you can continue to advocate these paranoid ideas and have them validated by a significant fraction of folks in your region. As for Democrats hating the Constitution that's laughable.

Florida March (off a cliff)

The red line is read off the right sided scale; all the other lines are growth rates read off the Left sided scale

upload_2020-7-11_11-55-45.png

• Informative
Reactions: madodel
Today's Moron Spray Award winner hands down is governor Ron DeSantis of Florida. Ron has doubled down on the LIE that the reason there are so many cases in FL is because they're doing such a fantastic job of testing. This comes after Florida blew up three weeks after Ron bragged about how all the covid-19 Doom and Gloomers were wrong about Florida being poised to blow up. After proudly announcing the disinformation that the high testing accounts for their high case numbers, he talked confidently about how covid-19 is not a serious issue except for people over 75. For everybody else it is
20200711_135159.jpg
pretty much a non-issue. This award officially acknowledges our gratitude to Ron for disseminating such total horsesh--.

Unfortunately Ron had serious competition in this week's award, from senator Kelly Loeffer of Georgia, who went on TV to explain that Black Lives Matter was a terrorist Marxist group. She gets this week's Honorable Mention for Refractory Idiocy.

Last edited:

This is one of the great euphemisms in healthcare. Crisis standards means care rationing. It means that if on some set of metrics which may or may not be individually accurate in your case, prognostic calculations suggest that you're in a poor prognostic group, guess what, you don't get any emergency care, ICU technology or other heroic measures. While this happens with some frequency during wartime on Frontline medical units, for it to happen in the wealthiest country in the world, that had three months to prepare for covid-19, is simply staggering.

he talked confidently about how covid-19 is not a serious issue except for people over 75.
The Florida Gov is extremely cavalier with other people's lives, misses the elephant in the room (hospital capacity), and is more wrong than right regarding Covid-19 risk factors. All in one day.

I wonder how many fat 30 - 60 year old trumpers play Covid hero out of a mistaken notion that they are not vulnerable.

Reactions: jbcarioca
The Florida Gov is extremely cavalier with other people's lives, misses the elephant in the room (hospital capacity), and is more wrong than right regarding Covid-19 risk factors. All in one day.

I wonder how many fat 30 - 60 year old trumpers play Covid hero out of a mistaken notion that they are not vulnerable.

Good question. I've heard a Houston physician treating almost exclusively covid-19 in patients talking about how a lot of the folks he's treating believe that they were virtually invulnerable because they were younger. Defined as under 65 in this case. There's just an amazing amount of minimization and denial out there. It's quite remarkable.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and madodel
Good question. I've heard a Houston physician treating almost exclusively covid-19 in patients talking about how a lot of the folks he's treating believe that they were virtually invulnerable because they were younger. Defined as under 65 in this case. There's just an amazing amount of minimization and denial out there. It's quite remarkable.
Indeed, but the sickening part of all this is the indifference to infecting others. That makes for a scum of a human being. When it is official state policy it becomes a nightmare state.

Reactions: madodel and jerry33
It means that if on some set of metrics which may or may not be individually accurate in your case, prognostic calculations suggest that you're in a poor prognostic group, guess what, you don't get any emergency care, ICU technology or other heroic measures.
Arizona is just one step away from rationing based on disease prognosis to rationing based on money or race or any of the usual discriminations.

It is indeed sad to reflect on my life choices, specifically being a dual citizen of Brazil and the US. Skipping the long story about traveling from GIG to MIA last month (routing GIG-GRU-IAH-MIA two days!) and the extensive examination prior to boarding in SDU (the other Rio de Janeiro airport) then zero examination entering the US at IAH...
In Florida the State only began to report hospitalizations after serious pressure and the Governor fired the person who designed and managed a decent State website. Contact tracing and/or clustering are essentially impossible in any decent way. Miami-Dade County reported they could only follow up on 17% of positive Covid-19 cases. Cases skyrocket.

Cases in Rio de Janeiro State have been declining for a couple of weeks. As for tracing, here is the public data source:
Covid por CEP - Rio de Janeiro
In Portuguese but CEP=zip code. Mine is 22460. zero active cases. zero.
How can such granular data be available in the USA? It was once, 50 years ago when I was working as an epidemiologist in NYC. Not now.
My spouse and I tried to get a COVID-19 test in Miami. We could not book unless we claimed to have symptoms.
In poor, uncivilized, backward Rio de Janeiro we have tests at will, with continuing records of results online. Of course poor people have fewer options; thus cases run rampant in many States, mostly poor ones but Sao Paulo too.

Nice to hear some good news from anywhere in Brasil. Why do you think the the rate is dropping ?
I’m still digesting the last couple of weeks data. However I think the two major factors are enforcement of social distancing norms and traditional,epidemiological case management.

Rio City began to open just a little a month or so ago . Beaches were opening and churches were allowing to do as they wished. Cases went up within days.
After bitter arguments between the Governor of RJ and the mayor of the city, coupled with Federal insanity from the President who has no Health Minister.
So, the Mayor developed a spine and closed the beaches with a fine for violating the ban. All large gathering banned. Masks are mandated in public and whenever with any group,outside ones home. Strict hours and capacity limited went in place for Supermarkets, and restaurants limited to delivery and take-out.

The hotmap I linked and the underlying data provide a near real time ability to do case management, positive testees are tracked in every case and their contacts are tested.

in my opinion the last step, done in the city only, explains how the growth has been halted and reversed, or so it seems. In addition Fiocruz in in the city so there is a quite good supply of credible experts who live in the city and agitate fir positive action.

The question is whether that positive trend can be sustained.

So, the Mayor developed a spine and closed the beaches with a fine for violating the ban. All large gathering banned. Masks are mandated in public and whenever with any group,outside ones home. Strict hours and capacity limited went in place for Supermarkets, and restaurants limited to delivery and take-out.
Very informative, thanks. A couple more questions if I may:

What is the mask compliance, and how is it enforced ?
Is ventilation in public bldgs an issue ?
What is a spine ?

.....the United States.... is failing again every single day. As James Surowiecki joked morbidly, “We’ve tried nothing, and we’re all out of ideas.”

must included the actual cartoon ref to that quote:

flanders.png

for almost every situation, there is a simpsons reference. its a truism about life, for some reason.