Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
well, continuing the thought experiment (aka, Fake News to the faux crowd, lol) - as long as people could MOVE, the locals could eat each other for dinner and who would care?

when no one is left to do their work for them, the problem will self-solve ;)

mobility. its what locks people in. people have no money to move and doing a move (and finding a new job and house) is hard. impossible if you are below poverty.
The problem is that only the wealthy can move. Worse, if there is such a split, no one in the "other half" would want to hire someone from not from their half, making it hard to switch jobs. I can't see this having any kind of good effect. The correct thing is to get people to actually vote. Not voting is what got us into this mess in the first place. I put the blame on President Johnson who was elected because people did not want a war in Vietnam, but he started one anyway on a trumped up charge. This taught people to not trust the government and that it didn't matter who you voted for, so why vot. The conservatives and religious nutters used that to gain power. Now that they have the power, it's going to be very hard to change with all the gerrymandering and voter suppression. I believe it's still possible though.

Reactions: bkp_duke
Slavery probably would have started to die out as a practice by 1900. Even by 1860 mechanization was starting to make big plantations with large numbers of slaves uneconomical. Additionally the South may have collapsed economically some time after separation and come back to the Union with its tail between its legs.
Quite the crystal ball you have there.

Would Southern Whites embrace the KKK as an institution to enforce brutal apartheid ?
Would Blacks be slaughtered wholesale if no longer economically advantageous to Whites ?
Do you have trouble envisioning sex slavery ? Any of a myriad of slavery based exploitations ?
What fraction of White Southerners would agree with the statement that slavery was good for Blacks ?
What fraction of White Southerners agree with the statement that the White 'race' is superior to Blacks ?

Last edited:
The problem is that only the wealthy can move. Worse, if there is such a split, no one in the "other half" would want to hire someone from not from their half, making it hard to switch jobs. I can't see this having any kind of good effect. The correct thing is to get people to actually vote.

well, again, just HOW do you split the baby in half, so to speak?

one side wants reproductive rights for women and their right to choose; the other side wants to choose FOR them, with no or nearly no exceptions.

how do you 'compromise' on that? you can't. half will be very upset at the outcome of whatever legal direction you pick.

voting can work on the less contentious matters. is spaghetti day wednesday or friday, stuff like that ;) people can live with either decision and not go ape-nuts about it.

but on many issues, there is no concept of compromise. and if it bothers you so much to follow law or custom A B or C, then go move to where the weather suits your clothes.

what other option IS there?

and again, maybe 'moving' is just moving to the left or north part of town where local laws allow X Y and Z.

it can be done. humans can do amazing things. first step is to have an honest dialog about our problems, how we can solve them and then just do it. (life is simple when you break it down to components, lol)

Another anti-mask official hospitalized with covid-19. He’s in critical condition. From BGR today:

Florida county commissioner who opposed mask-wearing is now in critical condition with the coronavirus

sadly, I think we need 100x or 1000x of those before the thick skulls in red hats finally admit that 'something major is wrong in 2020'.

I cannot comprehend how someone can live for 6 months during this pandemic, see even just 1 news program or read just 1 article and them for the duration, maintain the denial stance. I can understand if your friend of a friend does not know anyone who got hurt by covid, but dammit, there are undenyable film sequences (with audio, wow!) that really cannot be denied.

and yet, there are deniers.

as the health care system gets strained more and more, I kind of hope we take note of who is taking this seriously and who is on record for denying it. anyone on record gets a 'stamp' (oooh, bible prophecy, boo!) and that person is no longer able to get medical care for anything even remotely related to the virus.

at some point, we need to see who's with us and who is working against us. and then just simply shun (deny HC) to those that made their choice.

letemcrash.png

"they bought their ticket, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash!"

Orange County votes to reopen schools without masks or increased social distancing

"Orange County [California] education leaders voted 4 to 1 Monday evening to approve recommendations for reopening schools in the fall that do not include the mandatory use of masks for students or increased social distancing in classrooms amid a surge in coronavirus cases.

The Board of Education did, however, leave reopening plans up to individual school districts.

Among the recommendations are daily temperature checks, frequent handwashing and use of hand sanitizer, in addition to the nightly disinfection of classrooms, offices and transportation vehicles.

The recommendations, contained in a white paper, widely support schools reopening in the fall. The document states that remote learning amid the COVID-19 pandemic has been an “utter failure” and suggests allowing parents to send their children to another district or charter school to receive instruction if their home district does not reopen."
--------------------------
"remote learning ... has been an “utter failure”" -- now who failed here?

Orange County votes to reopen schools without masks or increased social distancing

"Orange County [California] education leaders voted 4 to 1 Monday evening to approve recommendations for reopening schools in the fall that do not include the mandatory use of masks for students or increased social distancing in classrooms amid a surge in coronavirus cases.

The Board of Education did, however, leave reopening plans up to individual school districts.

Among the recommendations are daily temperature checks, frequent handwashing and use of hand sanitizer, in addition to the nightly disinfection of classrooms, offices and transportation vehicles.

The recommendations, contained in a white paper, widely support schools reopening in the fall. The document states that remote learning amid the COVID-19 pandemic has been an “utter failure” and suggests allowing parents to send their children to another district or charter school to receive instruction if their home district does not reopen."
--------------------------
"remote learning ... has been an “utter failure”" -- now who failed here?

This won't last. Crytsal ball says that Newsom will likely force counties with infection rates above a certain threshold to keep schools closed. OC won't win this one, they are doing this to just act out and be heard.

• Informative
Reactions: jerry33
well, again, just HOW do you split the baby in half, so to speak?

one side wants reproductive rights for women and their right to choose; the other side wants to choose FOR them, with no or nearly no exceptions.

how do you 'compromise' on that? you can't. half will be very upset at the outcome of whatever legal direction you pick.

voting can work on the less contentious matters. is spaghetti day wednesday or friday, stuff like that ;) people can live with either decision and not go ape-nuts about it.

I lived and worked in Saudi Arabia for a few years and had a Palestinian friend there. He was always saying how much more free living in Palestine was compared to Saudi. So I eventually asked him why he moved, fully expecting it would be money, security or something like that.

Nope. His wife didn't want him to be able to look at other women, and women in Palestine are just partially covered with a scarf rather than a full hijab. So they moved to Saudi for the sake of their marriage. I was taken a back by that, but I guess it's still good that they had the option.

This is really the only reasonable way multiculturalism can work peacefully. When things aren't individual choice anymore: "I want to wear a hijab", but obligation: "I want everyone to wear a hijab", there has to be freedom of mobility into and out of those areas.

Quite the crystal ball you have there.

Would Southern Whites embrace the KKK as an institution to enforce brutal apartheid ?
Would Blacks be slaughtered wholesale if no longer economically advantageous to Whites ?
Do you have trouble envisioning sex slavery ? Any of a myriad of slavery based exploitations ?
What fraction of White Southerners would agree with the statement that slavery was good for Blacks ?
What fraction of White Southerners agree with the statement that the White 'race' is superior to Blacks ?
About 80% of the ones in power. Remember they are trying to alter the school text books to promote the slavery in the past as being good for blacks.

I hate paperwork.

A school district in Missouri is requiring parents to sign a waiver in case children become infected with COVID-19 and die.

Missouri school district forces parents to sign COVID-19 ‘death’ waiver for children

I would never sign such a thing.

its almost comical. "hey, if we kill your kid - because we were SURE it made sense for everyone to DieForTheDow(tm) - we still want to be able to do this to other kids, so please dont sue us out of existence"

yeah, right.

anyone signing such a thing deserves what they get.

but its a damned shame that we think its ok to 'sign your life away'. in this case, the word literally truly applies.

Last edited:
strange - the link goes 404, now

if anyone still has a browser up with that page, could you grab a screen cap?

and archive.org does not have a copy.

Here is the Google cache link for the Rawstory article
Missouri school district asks parents to sign COVID-19 ‘death’ waiver for children

Hazelwood School District

"In a statement to Raw Story, Hazelwood School District noted that the waiver is only required for students who want to participate in sports and other special activities.

“HSD doesn’t have a COVID-19 waiver for students to attend school in-person,” the district said. “Like all districts, we have a sports waiver that we issue to parents who want their kids to play sports.”

And from their Twitter response:
@HazelwoodSD
Jul 14, 2020
Replying to @DavidEdwards
1/2 This is a false story. Please delete & issue a retraction. HSD doesn't have a COVID-19 waiver for students to attend school in-person. Like all districts, we have a sports waiver that we issue to parents who want their kids to play sports.​
@HazelwoodSD
This year, the waiver includes COVID-19 language so our parents can make an informed decision. Literally, every school district will have this language in its sports waivers.

From a different school here
Coronavirus (COVID-19) information
is a link to at least one of them for extracurricular activities
PARENT PERMISSION & WAIVER OF LIABILITY FOR STUDENT PARTICIPATION (1).pdf

----
By signing below, I give permission for my child, _____________________________, to
participate in any/all extracurricular athletics & activities during the summer of 2020 & the
2020-2021 school year at Fort Zumwalt School District.

______ (initials) I acknowledge that federal & state government officials have declared that
there currently exists a public health crisis in our country related to the Coronavirus Disease
2019 (“COVID-19”).

______ (initials) I understand that the Fort Zumwalt School District cannot prevent the possible
transmission or contraction of COVID-19 for my child.

The undersigned agrees to release, discharge, hold harmless and indemnify the Fort Zumwalt
School District, its agents, employees, officers, Board of Education members, insurers and
others acting on the District’s behalf (the “Releasees”), of and from any and all claims,
demands, causes of action and/or legal liabilities for injuries to or death of my child occurring
during, or resulting from, participation in the above-mentioned program or activity and related in
any way to COVID-19, even if the cause, damages or injuries are alleged to be the fault of or
alleged to be caused by the negligence or carelessness of the Releasees.

----------------

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld

so the url went from

missouri-school-district-forces-parents-to-sign-covid-19-waiver-for-children

to

missouri-school-district-forces-parents-to-sign-19-waiver-for-children

uhm, ok...

I guess the website is new to, well, the web. once you are indexed, you are indexed. you should never rename your url.

thanks for the re-find.

edit: their update is about a reply from the school system that says its only for 'sports and other things'. well, what other things? damn. keep moving those goalposts, whydontyou.

so, its not just to attend school, but to be in sports. and other things. whatever that is.

still, if you are asking kids to come back - YOU are the ones who need to take full, including legal, responsibility if they get harmed. don't want that? don't force them back to school, then.

so the url went from

missouri-school-district-forces-parents-to-sign-covid-19-waiver-for-children

to

missouri-school-district-forces-parents-to-sign-19-waiver-for-children

uhm, ok...

I guess the website is new to, well, the web. once you are indexed, you are indexed. you should never rename your url.

thanks for the re-find.

Rawstory isn't new to the web. Est 2004.

It's a pretty left-leaning "news" site.
Raw Story Media Bias Rating

This whole story strikes me as someone trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill. When I played sports, the waivers were always worded basically as "you want to play, the school is not responsible for pretty much anything."

I'm trying to sort out if it really is a 'sports waiver' or if its required in order to return to classrooms.

I'm seeing both answers on the lawyer's twit feed. the school is not really volunteering a lot, and it sure would help if they would list ALL situations that would fall under a so-called waiver.

the sad part is that many parents will sign it, thinking that covid is 'just a hoax' and they've not only screwed themselves, but THEIR KIDS, who are too young to rebel and have a say in their own lives.

a part of me wants to call this child abuse... any parent who signs it - that, to me, is an UNFIT parent.

how about them apples?