Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
today I went out for some errands, one of which was to a 'UPS store' (used to be mailboxes etc). people were spaced well apart and everyone was masked, even a little kid that was there. it was kind of cool - 100% participation.

an odd thing, though; a guy was there at the middle table, *doing his taxes*. and I don't mean stamping the envelope and getting a receipt. the bloke was thumbing thru his phone, writing in pen on the tax forms. it went on for the half hour I was in line; I have no idea how long he was there after I left.

I don't get it. when I go out, I want to minimize my public exposure time. this guy had no need of being in public, inside the fairly small mailboxes store, doing his damned taxes by hand in pen while others are in line trying to drop off boxes and get receipts.

did he think that things were 100.00% ok as long as we were masked? masks HELP but they are not 100% and it does not seem wise to LINGER in stores, for no damned reason!

wtf. seriously.

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
today I went out for some errands, one of which was to a 'UPS store' (used to be mailboxes etc). people were spaced well apart and everyone was masked, even a little kid that was there. it was kind of cool - 100% participation.

an odd thing, though; a guy was there at the middle table, *doing his taxes*. and I don't mean stamping the envelope and getting a receipt. the bloke was thumbing thru his phone, writing in pen on the tax forms. it went on for the half hour I was in line; I have no idea how long he was there after I left.

I don't get it. when I go out, I want to minimize my public exposure time. this guy had no need of being in public, inside the fairly small mailboxes store, doing his damned taxes by hand in pen while others are in line trying to drop off boxes and get receipts.

did he think that things were 100.00% ok as long as we were masked? masks HELP but they are not 100% and it does not seem wise to LINGER in stores, for no damned reason!

wtf. seriously.

Perhaps he was trying to commit suicide ?
Taxes can do that to you.

Phase 1 results for mRNA vaccine have been published:
https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2022483?query=RP

Basically, good antibody titer formation (that was dose dependent). No safety stops (i.e. any reaction significant enough to halt progression to Phase 2).

Overall, what I would expect from any decent candidate vaccine.

View attachment 564571

View attachment 564572

I heard on the news about Moderna's results. I couldn't help but notice that fatigue, fever, chills, headache, nausea, etc. were the same symptoms as the main ones initially listed for covid-19. Is this typical for vaccine reactions to replicate the symptoms?

Now that is cute, Its almost trivial to cover for low level hyperglycemia in hospital yet those patient's survival was 1/3 that of the patients who didn't have hyperglycemia.
Correct, which should tell you that

The hyperglycemia is a marker of underlying disease caused in part by prolonged, untreated hyperglycemia. The underlying disease cannot be reversed in the way you peddle, or it would also reverse with treatment in the hospital.

XKCD.png

Quite the crystal ball you have there.

Would Southern Whites embrace the KKK as an institution to enforce brutal apartheid ?
Would Blacks be slaughtered wholesale if no longer economically advantageous to Whites ?
Do you have trouble envisioning sex slavery ? Any of a myriad of slavery based exploitations ?
What fraction of White Southerners would agree with the statement that slavery was good for Blacks ?
What fraction of White Southerners agree with the statement that the White 'race' is superior to Blacks ?

Long before the Civil War the powers that be in the Deep South kept the large number of poor whites in line by encouraging the idea that they may be poor, but at least they weren't black. So that is deeply ingrained in the culture.

However losing the war and the aftermath helped to reinforce those sentiments in ways that wouldn't have happened if there wasn't a war. At this point it's hard to tell how much of the racism today comes from pre-war attitudes and how much comes from post-war grudges.

In a similar way my SO and I have been debating for years how much of the Republican response to Barack Obama was racism, how much was anti-Democrat, and how much was just political games. The Venn diagram obviously has overlap, but we could debate until the sun went cold how big each circle was/is and how much overlap there was.

If there is no Civil War, but the country splits, the 13th and 14th amendments probably would get passed, but they would probably be somewhat different. If the South came crawling back, would they come up with some way to keep slavery? Even as plantations declined in the late 19th century, some slavery would remain at some low level unless there was some sort of campaign like the anti-Apartheid movement that made it economically unfeasible to have any legal slavery at all. Though underground slavery might be permitted with a nod and a wink.

It's faded into a sort of background grudge now, but the grudges over the Civil War loss were very strong and first hand in the South in the early 20th century when a lot of those monuments being taken down today were put up.

When DW Griffith made his controversial movie Birth of a Nation the Civil War had been over 50 years. 50 years ago the US was in the latter stages of its involvement in Vietnam. There were still a lot of people around who remembered the Civil War and it's aftermath.

Freebooting Northerners essentially came South to do a bit of economic looting after the war and Johnson was not inclined to stop them. My father was born in 1920 in Michigan and he still used the term for these people when I was a kid: carpetbaggers for people who take advantage of bad situations for their own benefit. The carpetbaggers as well as the humiliations the South had to endure to get back to full members of the Union left a lot of bad feelings in the South.

we should make SoCal build a wall.

....and make them pay for it.

Spoken like a true Northern Californian :)

I grew up in the Los Angeles area and went to Cal Poly SLO which was about 80% Northern California kids. I sensed an anti-Southern California vibe.

A childhood friend of mine went to UC Davis and it was even more dramatic there. One time a Northern CA kid asked him if Southern Cal people hated Northern Cal people as much as No Cal hated the South. My friend had never thought about it, but after a moment of thought replied that Southern California doesn't recognize that Northern California exists. That sums up the North/South divide in California.

My family used to take a family driving vacation every summer and we only left the state of California once and we only went South once. Every other trip was somewhere north of Los Angeles, so I got to know Northern California better than most Southern Californians. Personally I hated living in Los Angeles so it was a no brainer to get out of there as soon as I could. I learned about a month after I moved away from Los Angeles that my chronic allergies for the first 18 years of my life were due to a rather severe allergy to smog.

wtf. seriously.
When it comes to situational awareness (SA), not everyone grows up to be an astronaut.
Robin

• Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
Now that is cute, Its almost trivial to cover for low level hyperglycemia in hospital yet those patient's survival was 1/3 that of the patients who didn't have hyperglycemia.
In the States, hospitals have to report out hypoglycemic events in their patients, and can get dinged for them. Thus, they "manage"patient blood glucose very, very loosely, preferring very high numbers over "normal" results. This might have a real, measurable effect on outcomes when treating CV-19 patients who are also diabetic.
Robin

• Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
Spoken like a true Northern Californian :)

CSB time, I guess. I live and work in norcal and once in my life, I had a job interview way down in socal area and they flew me down for the day. I'm a tech guy, not a manager type and certainly not a marketing type. I wore normal engineer clothes to my interview, which means not a tie, not a jacket, I'm not sure I wore dress shoes or not. in the bay area, none of that matters. none. 25 years here, working in many kinds of tech jobs, dress matters zero, here. but I got dinged, big-time, for not 'dressing up' for my interview in socal. it was for a big tech company (remote control top tier vendor) and they could not get beyond the fact that I considered dress to be unimportant for a thinking kind of job. one where I'm never in front of customers, etc.

everyone I related that story to chalked it up to norcal/socal culture diffs. I guess that job and that locale was just not for me. and I'm glad I did not relocate down there; I don't think it would have been the right lifestyle choice for me.

socal is 'ruining' the norcal numbers and in fact, I can't really see how good norcal is doing because socal is being such an ass about things.

Santa Clara County got their late Phase 2 reopening variance approved over the weekend so today places like hair salons can open; first time since early March. Got my afternoon appt. set for today. Figured no way of knowing what the weeks ahead will bring as far as falling back on reopening of things so getting it cut short to last for a few months if need be. However not all counties at this time will be able to have hair salons stay open.

Gov. Newsom is speaking now and is Statewide shutting down some indoor operations like bars for example. As for the specific 30 counties on the WatchList (see screen grab below), pull backs will shut down some indoor things, like hair salons. Here’s the list from a few slides if you’re interested.

View attachment 564201 View attachment 564204

View attachment 564205

Well Santa Clara County's absence from being included from the Watch List was short lived. The scheduled Mon. 7/13 opening of hair salons, etc. in this late Phase 2 plan got blown up on Sunday, 7/12 apparently when the State put Santa Clara County on it's Watch List the day before stores were scheduled to open for the first time. Today on KCBS we heard some very frustrated Santa Clara County business owners in an interview complaining about just opening their shops for the very first time and then being required to close them. I was confused so went to the SCC website for news releases. Sure enough it was true.

"JULY 13 (click for add'l SCC info) - The County of Santa Clara was added to the State’s monitoring list on Sunday July 12, 2020. In light of the Governor’s announcement, the County sought clarification on the effect of today’s announcement in our County. The State confirmed this afternoon that it will require sectors closed for indoor operations in counties on the monitoring list to close in Santa Clara County effective Wednesday, July 15, 2020 at 12:01 a.m. We wanted to share this information with businesses and residents as soon as possible. "

I really do feel for these business owners who clearly spent a lot of time getting their businesses and staff set up to open Monday and then suddenly having the rug kind of yanked out from under them and now only reopening for 2 days. Clearly our numbers which had kept SCC off the Watch List deteriorated and put us back on it. As you can see from Newsom's slide presentation Mon. 7/13 at noon (above post), Santa Clara County was NOT on the Watch List then.

I'm very glad I had jumped on calling Monday morning to get a hair appt. My regular stylist wasn't scheduled yet and at first I decided to wait until she was available later in the week but after about 10 minutes of thinking about it, called back and made an appointment with another stylist, really anxious that this exact thing could happen. When I went in Monday afternoon for my cut, there were only 2 stylists working the shop where normally it would be like 6-8. So we were 4 people all with masks. Temperature check on entering. Distance floor markings were inside and outside the salon, all seating was blocked off as well as no magazines to look at. No blow dries, only 1 person would be doing shampooing but she wasn't there, no coloring or perms, pretty much wetting your hair and cutting and that was it to keep it quick. While I was there about a half dozen people (all with masks) did walk in to be told they were booked for the day and they'd have to call and get an appt. tomorrow.

For anyone on the Peninsula really wanting a hair cut, San Mateo County (cities including Menlo Park and northward) is still Off the Watch List so their business can still operate. This was on their website:

JULY 14 (click for add'l SMC info) - Governor Newsom’s measures further emphasize the need for all of us to do our part in stopping the spread of COVID-19,” said Dr. Scott Morrow, San Mateo County Health Officer. “That means wearing a face covering, maintaining social distancing, and limiting our activities. It’s up to us to determine our future.”

Outdoor dining is still allowed in San Mateo County and because the County is not on the state’s COVID-19 “watch list,” gyms, churches, hair salons, malls and other businesses can remain open."

I have to say I feel for people who need to travel between counties in Calif. and trying to keep straight what is currently allowed or not.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Doggydogworld
So mobility is the answer? So where to we make slavery and white supremacy the standard? Where to we have the religious bastions? Can they overlap with white supremacy and slavery?

Can we have an area that is live and let live, where freedom for your personal beliefs only ends where it harms another or restricts their beliefs?

So be it. I'd rather lose one county to white supremacy than have it be interweave all over.

Economics will prevent radicalism from being widespread. You got to REALLY want it more than anything else. Some people do.

If the west coast go completely nuts and implement crazy radical leftist ideas like Universal Healthcare, Maternity leave, Equal rights, UBI etc. we will probably lose a few companies like Chick-fil-A and Hobby Lobby in the process.

Similarly if another county goes all in on White Power they'll probably lose another set of companies like Amazon, Netflix & Google. (They'll still have Facebook at least.)

It's all fine. We live in relative peace with the Amish right now, and that's not that far off.

Last edited:
So be it. I'd rather lose one county to white supremacy than have it be interweave all over the states.

what are countries? what are states? why are some borders more real, to some, than others?

and so its a dilemma. do you insist that what you have, locally, all others must have?

do you deserve to use force to make them comply?

I'm kind of done trying to convert the world and convince them that there are better ways. and that includes many of my fellow americans. I've long since given up trying to change frozen minds. best you can do is avoid them and live where they won't interfere with you or harm you. and now, in 2020, good luck with that.

Reactions: deonb
I wore normal engineer clothes to my interview, which means not a tie, not a jacket, I'm not sure I wore dress shoes or not. in the bay area, none of that matters. none. 25 years here, working in many kinds of tech jobs, dress matters zero, here. but I got dinged, big-time, for not 'dressing up' for my interview in socal. it was for a big tech company (remote control top tier vendor) and they could not get beyond the fact that I considered dress to be unimportant for a thinking kind of job.
Heh. I was born in LA and grew up in San Diego. I left before it was time to interview for anything but the stereotype was that Nor Cal people are pretentious and "stuck-up," not at all like us laid back true Californians :)

I have been back to Cali a few times as an adult. I adore San Francisco. LA can be downright depressing

Reactions: deonb