Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is, was the debate really better in person? Why did it need an audience at all?
People aren't even avoiding extremely unpleasant indoor events where half the people are not wearing masks? I feel like everyone is insane.

Actually it feels like we woke up four years ago in a dystopian alternate reality where 45% of the American public was out of its f****** mind.

Too early. We'll know by mid-week

I know, and those who have stayed up on stages/timelines of it are aware but still probably a lot of the general public is clueless even after so much has been out there. Sometimes it amazes me the comments made that show lack of understanding how it spreads.

While USA Today didn’t go into the timeline (could have been another teachable moment) the story did indicate he was negative at this moment.

MSNBC reported they have confirmed with three sources that the President has a "low-grade fever."

As to fatality and hospitalization rates for people in their seventies, I found the following:
Six charts show how Americans have been affected by COVID-19

Hospitalization Rate for age 70-79: 28%, if healthy; 65%, if underlying health conditions (which it seems Trump has):

upload_2020-10-2_16-19-58.png

Death Rate for age 70-79: 10%, if healthy; 32% if underlying health conditions:

upload_2020-10-2_16-21-6.png

It seems like the media is underreporting the severity of this situation. If these stats are accurate, Trump has roughly a 2/3 chance of winding up in the hospital and a 1/3 chance of death.

MSNBC reported they have confirmed with three sources that the President has a "low-grade fever."

As to fatality and hospitalization rates for people in their seventies, I found the following:
Six charts show how Americans have been affected by COVID-19

Hospitalization Rate for age 70-79: 28%, if healthy; 65%, if underlying health conditions (which it seems Trump has):

View attachment 594715

Death Rate for age 70-79: 10%, if healthy; 32% if underlying health conditions:

View attachment 594716

.... thoughts and prayers....

Actually it feels like we woke up four years ago in a dystopian alternate reality where 45% of the American public was out of its f****** mind.
Not trying to "both sides" this too much but Biden and Chris Wallace also brought their families to the event!
They were all PCR tested beforehand but it still seems crazy to me on my risk-reward meter. Of course I would have to be paid to attend such an event even without a pandemic. haha.

Not trying to "both sides" this too much but Biden and Chris Wallace also brought their families to the event!
They were all PCR tested beforehand but it still seems crazy to me on my risk-reward meter. Of course I would have to be paid to attend such an event even without a pandemic. haha.
Only one side was defiantly stupid enough not to wear masks.

Going forward, the only responsible way to do a one-on-one debate (including the VP debate next week) is to have the participants and moderator in separate rooms, with no audience, or audience in its own room. The debaters would each get 2 minutes (or whatever) to answer questions in alternation, with follow-ups. Their mics would be muted while the other is talking. They could see each other, and we could see their reactions, on video. Their mic gets cut off automatically (no moderator discretion) after 2 minutes. No shouting down the opponent, no over talking, no going over time. The separate rooms could be in the same building to minimize technical issues, or they could be remote.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could do it chess clock style, and they could take as long as they want on any given issue, but would get the same exact total time. Harder (a little) to implement, and might seem odd to the participants and viewers, but it could work.

Only one side was defiantly stupid enough not to wear masks.

Going forward, the only responsible way to do a one-on-one debate (including the VP debate next week) is to have the participants and moderator in separate rooms, with no audience, or audience in its own room. The debaters would each get 2 minutes (or whatever) to answer questions in alternation, with follow-ups. Their mics would be muted while the other is talking. They could see each other, and we could see their reactions, on video. Their mic gets cut off automatically (no moderator discretion) after 2 minutes. No shouting down the opponent, no over talking, no going over time. The separate rooms could be in the same building to minimize technical issues, or they could be remote.

If you wanted to get fancy, you could do it chess clock style, and they could take as long as they want on any given issue, but would get the same exact total time. Harder (a little) to implement, and might seem odd to the participants and viewers, but it could work.
Yeah, I wouldn't go that far. Should have just been the two candidates and the moderator, all PCR tested of course. People just need to take reasonable precautions, it's not that hard.
Chess clock idea might have some merit...

Reactions: jerry33
Yeah, I wouldn't go that far. Should have just been the two candidates and the moderator. People just need to take reasonable precautions, it's not that hard.
Chess clock idea might have some merit...
I originally thought about having separate rooms to solve the problem of one person (Trump) shouting down the other. If they are in the same room, even if Trump's mic is shut off, he will shout at Biden and try to disrupt his answer or make him react. I think it's pretty tough to ignore something like that, especially if you're on national TV, being watched by millions, and actually trying to answer weighty questions.

The point of the debates is to hear what the candidates think. Anything that gets in the way of that should be removed. Nobody is served if it just ends up being a contest to see who can score the most zingers or cause the other side to make a gaffe.

It's just a bonus that the separate rooms would be safer for everyone.

Those numbers are way off. They're based on cases, which were way under counted early on due to limited testing and are still significantly under counted. Also treatment has improved.
OK, fair enough. Those stats only ran through the end of May, which was a while ago.

However, Trump is a symptomatic case now. Do you have any stats on more recent, symptomatic cases? I assume that most of the uncounted cases were asymptomatic. I would imagine that people with symptoms would be more likely than not to seek out a test. Around here you can get a free test at CVS, Walgreens, etc. if you have symptoms.

Seems like Trump has perhaps more than a mild disease course, as he has a low grade fever, he hasn't tweeted today, and they've put him on a polyclonal antibody cocktail from Regeneron.

It could all just be prophylactic, but seems like you'd want to be careful administering antibodies to someone who doesn't need them. Obviously they're likely to be a bit less cautious than with most patients, but still...

The antibodies may help...apparently they are most useful in people who have not already mounted an antibody response. But obviously won't be possible to establish effectiveness regardless of outcome here.

Also treatment has improved.

This is hard to say; I've seen no analysis. I'm sure treatment and protocols HAVE improved, and that helps around the edges, but it's hard to say whether it's a 10% reduction or a more significant 30-50% reduction in mortality.