Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
southpaw
@nycsouthpaw
Video of the ACB announcement event on Saturday at the WH featuring Sen. Mike Lee of Utah, who has now tested positive for Covid-19. via @bubbaprog
https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1312064332306542592?s=20 (text of tweet above) is probably part of why besides the very close seating and not many people wearing masks.

These have some pics:
Scrutiny on Rose Garden event after Kellyanne Conway and other guests test positive for Covid
7 attendees of SCOTUS nomination at Rose Garden test positive for COVID-19
Was White House unveiling of SCOTUS nominee Amy Coney Barrett the superspreader event? | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Dave EV
A more generic question, why chase a vacinne if a cure will 'do the trick'?
Do you remember the toaster ? You are asking how to make the perfect toast every time so here is the answer (below):

Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 7.30.33 AM.png

Wait until black smoke belches from the toaster and then take the bread out 30 seconds earlier. It is horribly expensive to boot, but the stock market has taken care of that --- right ?

Interesting thought. Is it too late to change the ballots? Don’t candidates need to submit something by a certain date to be on the ballot? Can a dead person be elected? Strange times indeed. We need an historical constitutional scholar here.
Voting has already started. It is past the date to withdraw from the ballot in all states. It will be up to the Electoral College electors as to who to cast their votes for in December.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
Worst case scenario...POTUS dies...elections are delayed and Pence is POTUS till then.
Wort case scenario 2....POTUS has no symptoms recovers fully..MAGA crowd goes crazy as only the strong survive and he is strong!
trump get's elected....again.

I move to Canada...o wait ...:eek:
Both Trump and Pence become private citizens at the end of 4 years (unless re-elected) according to the constitution. Nancy Pelosi would become President at the end of their term and would remain so, until a newly elected president is inaugurated.

Our state did very little to stop the virus, either from the initial onset (we actually encouraged flights from Wuhan), or after. Much like NYC the disease was installed in our nursing homes, and we let thousands of infected people across the southern border, which continues today. Today, the Hispanic infection rate continues to climb, now 61.1% (Oct 1, CDPH) of cases. It started in the 30% area when The State was warned of the risk and they did absolutely nothing to help our Hispanics.

The US presidents have had very little negative effect on California this century. So far. We are our own worst enemy. We are increasing CO2 emissions by bad legislation. It is so much easier to assume that external forces control our state than to admit we are lousy managers of our resources. Anyone got a match?

Our state did very little to stop the virus, either from the initial onset (we actually encouraged flights from Wuhan), or after. Much like NYC the disease was installed in our nursing homes, and we let thousands of infected people across the southern border, which continues today. Today, the Hispanic infection rate continues to climb, now 61.1% (Oct 1, CDPH) of cases. It started in the 30% area when The State was warned of the risk and they did absolutely nothing to help our Hispanics.

The US presidents have had very little negative effect on California this century. So far. We are our own worst enemy. We are increasing CO2 emissions by bad legislation. It is so much easier to assume that external forces control our state than to admit we are lousy managers of our resources. Anyone got a match?
Hey, at least we've done better than average (for the US)! That's a pretty a low bar though...
I have to admit I am also not impressed.
One thing I wonder about the race/ethnicity percentages is that they always seem to have a fairly large "unknown" category that is not included in the percentage. I wonder if "unknown" just means white since that's the "default" race in this country.
Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 7.50.22 AM.png

Last edited:
Worth keeping in mind as the drip, drip (or avalanche?) of infections continues for the next several days:

The concern here, honestly, is not the risk of death or long-term illness to any particular one of these individuals (though clearly that is possible). Most people infected here are generally healthy and will recover from this virus. In addition, this group of individuals generally has access to excellent care, so will do better than most. The real concern is that the White House abdicated on its responsibility to avoid uncontrolled spread. Uncontrolled spread IS dangerous - as is obvious now, it rapidly leads to a massive number of infections, and in aggregate, there ARE substantial risks to life with that sort of spread.

Aside from the threat to life, that is a threat to national security (not THAT surprising, due to the historical weakness of these kinds of administrations when it comes to national security - very common!), and it impacts the continuity, stability and effectiveness of government.

I hope that all infected in this debacle survive - and if they do, please let’s not draw the conclusion that this is a nothing burger. It’s quite normal for a smaller outbreak like this for there to be no deaths (though this outbreak is higher risk than most) - but that doesn’t mean this is not an incredibly deadly disease.

It is the uncontrolled spread - especially to vulnerable populations - which results rapidly in deaths - that is just the way statistics work.

Hey, at least we've done better than average (for the US)! That's a pretty a low bar though...
One thing I wonder about the race/ethnicity percentages is that they always seem to have a fault large "unknown" category that is not included in the percentage. I wonder if "unknown" just means white since that's the "default" race in this country.
View attachment 594931

I am not sure whether you guys comprehend how agriculture treats and houses their workers:

Listen to Part 2:
‎This American Life: 718: Same Bed, Different Dreams on Apple Podcasts

It’s not an excuse, but clearly a large agricultural industry will make containing spread more difficult. These living conditions are not unusual! California has an enormous agricultural industry!

It would be good to compare spread in urban areas in California to other urban area nationwide. I’m not saying it would be an awesome result for California (LA was bad for a while), but I think that would be the fair comparison. This is also not to ignore the struggles of those agricultural workers - something should be done to make spread non-existent for those populations!

Reactions: NikolaACDC
They just briefed on Trump’s condition at Walter Reed. Sounds like he is doing well right now.

He was on supplemental oxygen at the White House yesterday - note they did not say this - Conley only said when he was NOT on oxygen:

Conley said he was NOT on oxygen:
Today, yesterday when they were all at Walter Reed, and Thursday

So that leaves Friday at the residence. I don’t know why Conley did not say he had been on oxygen, since he implied he has been.

Not sure how it will be reported but I would bet that that is the truth, since he would not say that Trump had never been on supplemental oxygen. He refused to say that so clearly he has been.

Oxygen saturation as of this morning is 96.

Sounds like he has some lung damage as well, since they did not want to discuss the details of those scans.

It sounds like phase one is going well so far and his condition is improving, and his fever is at least temporarily reduced. They are now awaiting phase 2, the inflammatory response, in a few days.

Chris Christie and Ron Johnson (WI) are positive.

Last edited:
Our state did very little to stop the virus, either from the initial onset (we actually encouraged flights from Wuhan)
Your posts are always so odd, it feels like you get a bunch of talking points from a very misinformed source and just dump them here without even thinking.
The strain of virus in California now did not come from Wuhan, it came from Europe.
we let thousands of infected people across the southern border, which continues today.
California does not control its international border, the CBP (a federal agency) does that.
And then you add some random completely unrelated content. Calfifornia's CO2 emissions per capita are the second lowest of all the states. I feel like you're talking in some some sort of weird code.

So heard on the radio this morning about the doctor’s report that he was feeling better this morning. Isn’t that a typical pattern though of how patients weather the virus?...nights are bad and feeling better in morning until evening again? At least that's what I recall from reading accounts from infected people over these past months.

Reactions: dhanson865
wow what an effing epic disaster.

They knew on Wednesday, gave him the Regeneron drug Thursday and let him continue to go to events. At least the anti-viral therapy timing makes a bit of sense now - at least 24hrs between the two. Still doesn't make a ton of sense to do it in the order they did it in unless his viral load wasn't dropping as much as expected with the Regneron antibodies.

Seriously, hard to imagine how it could be handled more poorly.

One thing I wonder about the race/ethnicity percentages is that they always seem to have a fairly large "unknown" category that is not included in the percentage. I wonder if "unknown" just means white since that's the "default" race in this country.
View attachment 594931

I not sure "Failed as Badly" is a management goal in most industries. ;)

For those that are critical of the current administration, I would like to ask you to go read up on your history. 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic - Woodrow Wilson administration.

The administration did . . . nothing to protect the general population (granted, their primary focus was the war). Wilson himself came down with the flu, and it was not announced to the public till years later.

I've been outspoken that the current administration needed to do more (duh, right?), but historically speaking, it's not like this country has a good track record with pandemics. This is a natural byproduct of a society that holds personal liberty so high.

I said about 900 pages ago in this thread, 6 months ago, that the ONLY countries that would be effective at locking it down are totalitarian countries (China, etc.). If you want to eliminate the virus with measures like that, you literally have to lock everyone in their homes and threaten them with mortal danger if they leave. China did that, pretty much no one else.

For the record, I will point out that when the current administration banned travel from China, there was OUTRAGE on the the other side of the aisle with calls of racism, etc.

Pick your poison people, you cannot have it both ways.

For those that are critical of the current administration, I would like to ask you to go read up on your history. 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic - Woodrow Wilson administration.

The administration did . . . nothing to protect the general population (granted, their primary focus was the war). Wilson himself came down with the flu, and it was not announced to the public till years later.

I've been outspoken that the current administration needed to do more (duh, right?), but historically speaking, it's not like this country has a good track record with pandemics. This is a natural byproduct of a society that holds personal liberty so high.

I said about 900 pages ago in this thread, 6 months ago, that the ONLY countries that would be effective at locking it down are totalitarian countries (China, etc.). If you want to eliminate the virus with measures like that, you literally have to lock everyone in their homes and threaten them with mortal danger if they leave. China did that, pretty much no one else.

For the record, I will point out that when the current administration banned travel from China, there was OUTRAGE on the the other side of the aisle with calls of racism, etc.

Pick your poison people, you cannot have it both ways.

Bingo!

For the record, this is not true. It was, however, panned as an ineffective measure. And indeed it was completely ineffective.

(I believe it could have been effective, but you would have to ban entry of all travelers, including citizens, and it would have had to happen earlier, and it would need to apply to all countries, in conjunction with extensive testing in this country in January.). As pointed out below, this is illegal under international law.

Last edited: