Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nursing home COVID-19 cases rise four-fold in surge states

Nursing home COVID-19 cases rise four-fold in surge states

“Trying to protect nursing home residents without controlling community spread is a losing battle,” said Konetzka, a nationally recognized expert on long-term care. “Someone has to care for vulnerable nursing home residents, and those caregivers move in and out of the nursing home daily, providing an easy pathway for the virus to enter.”
-----------------------------
Too much data to quote, but for me the above is a key takeaway

The task force will be headed by three cochairs: former surgeon general Vivek Murthy, former Food and Drug Administration commissioner David Kessler and Yale University's Dr. Marcella Nunez-Smith. The additional members are due to be announced on Monday.
I remember Kessler. His book on American nutrition certainly is....iconoclastic. I had to look up Murthy, whereby I was reminded about the controversy during his confirmation hearings over earlier comments on guns and health. Dr. N-S is someone new.

Wow, a country that actually can implement a plan and do it in a quality way. I'm impressed. How much are masks in Australia? .....

Bunnings (australian hardware shop) masks 60 aussie cents each. https://www.bunnings.com.au/10pk-disposable-face-mask-sojo_p0186429 KN95 respirators 100 aussie cents each https://www.bunnings.com.au/kn95-disposable-respirator-5pk-sojo_p0186428

Australia has essentially bifurcated in regards to masks and respirators, 1 state (Victoria) has a compulsory mask mandate, the rest of the country is basically a mask free zone although NSW strongly recommends them for public transport etc. I'm in Qld, I guess mask wearing is less than one percent of the population.

but either way, Australia just enjoyed another day of zero community transmission of Sars-Coronavirus-19.

upload_2020-11-9_8-49-13.png

https://twitter.com/GregHuntMP/status/1325294040145825794

I will add, the other states in Australia have work places where people were sacked/turned away from site for facial hair if it interferes with potential respirator wearing.

No shave, no job: BHP Billiton's decision to sack worker over beard vindicated 2015 - No shave, no job: BHP Billiton's decision to sack worker over beard vindicated

I worked on a project for one such site in Qld, truck drivers were not even permitted to enter the site unless they were suitably shaven, even though they were never to leave the tuck except for untying the load. We set a staging (interception) point at a nearby diesel roadhouse so all our truckies were up to client standards.

point is, masking is relatively pointless in the presence of beards....

Australia has essentially bifurcated in regards to masks and respirators, 1 state (Victoria) has a compulsory mask mandate, the rest of the country is basically a mask free zone although NSW strongly recommends them for public transport etc. I'm in Qld, I guess mask wearing is less than one percent of the population.
I also didn't wear a mask when there were zero cases in my country.:(
A face covering still provides a barrier for droplet transmission even with a beard. I wish more people would wear respirators that are actually designed for filtration vs. woven fabric face coverings...

Congratulations on making it through winter. Wish us luck!

False claim of course. Sure more particles will make it past with a beard than without but there is still a benefit to blocking direct projection from the nose and mouth as well as corresponding intake. When people talk there are often visible droplets shooting out of their mouths, you can see it if the sun is low and they have the sun behind them. A mask will stop that, even with a beard.

False claim of course. Sure more particles will make it past with a beard than without but there is still a benefit to blocking direct projection from the nose and mouth as well as corresponding intake. When people talk there are often visible droplets shooting out of their mouths, you can see it if the sun is low and they have the sun behind them. A mask will stop that, even with a beard.

sigh, that is opinion, not science.

I'm waiting for an RCT Reduction in COVID-19 Infection Using Surgical Facial Masks Outside the Healthcare System - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov regarding surgical masks and the general public.
The question is, is there a Reduction in COVID-19 Infection Using Surgical Facial Masks Outside the Healthcare System?

Primary Outcome Measures :

• The primary endpoint is the difference in SARS-CoV-2 infection between the two groups after 1 months and is a combined endpoint consisting of primary outcome components 1, 2 and/or 3: [ Time Frame: 1 month ]
      Component 1 of primary endpoint: Positive oropharyngeal/nasal swab with SARS-CoV-2 (PCR) and/or
    • The primary endpoint is the difference in SARS-CoV-2 infection between the two groups after 1 months and is a combined endpoint consisting of primary outcome components 1, 2 and/or 3: [ Time Frame: 1 month ]
      Component 2 of primary endpoint: Antibody test; Development of positive SARS-CoV-2 antibody test (IgM and/or IgG) during the study period and/or
      Component 3 of primary endpoint: SARS-CoV-2 infection diagnosed in a hospital/health care facility

Even though they have 6000 randomized participants, I doubt they will obtain a statistically significant (0.05) result for their primary outcomes, because of factors like facial hair. And if it not a significant effect on the real world, then why punish people if it does not translate from lab to real world use?

(that my opinion/prediction, I'm waiting for the science;)

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: NikolaACDC
sigh, that is opinion, not science.

I'm waiting for an RCT Reduction in COVID-19 Infection Using Surgical Facial Masks Outside the Healthcare System - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov regarding surgical masks and the general public.
The question is, is there a Reduction in COVID-19 Infection Using Surgical Facial Masks Outside the Healthcare System?
Even though they have 6000 randomized participants, I doubt they will obtain a statistically significant (0.05) result for their primary outcomes, because of factors like facial hair. And if it not a significant effect on the real world, then why punish people if it does not translate from lab to real world use?

(that my opinion/prediction, I'm waiting for the science;)

From their summary:

"Facial masks are expected to protect against viral infection in two ways;
By reducing the risk of getting the virus in via the mouth or nose via respiratory droplets or aerosol
By reducing the transfer from virus-contaminated hands to the mouth or nose"

They don't even consider that wearing a mask will protect others, possibly more so than it protects the wearer.

And because of that they are only tracking and testing the participants of their study. They won't know if there was a difference in how many others their study subjects infected.

Also, this study was kicked of in April, when apparently this was true:
"the use of facial masks outside the health care system is not recommended by the Danish Health Authorities"

Now they do recommend them:
Face masks

Might be they canned the study.

People here don't understand the America Halloween festival.
This is why the readings jumped.

Apparently neither does Joe Biden or Kamala Harris. They don't have kids in their neighborhoods and even if they did, the walls and dogs will keep them away.
Well, I’m not in a Coronavirus hotspot, but I still shut off all the lights, went into a back room and watched a movie. Nobody rang the doorbell and I wouldn’t answer it anyway. I saw only a few kids around the neighborhood, so I think most stayed home. I’m taking this thing seriously and reducing risk as much as I can, within reason. No going out except to the grocery store, and fully masked.

Reactions: madodel and JRP3
  • Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Well, I’m not in a Coronavirus hotspot, but I still shut off all the lights, went into a back room and watched a movie. Nobody rang the doorbell and I wouldn’t answer it anyway. I saw only a few kids around the neighborhood, so I think most stayed home. I’m taking this thing seriously and reducing risk as much as I can, within reason. No going out except to the grocery store, and fully masked.

We had as many kids as any year. But this year we had it for adults too. There was a map and list of alcoholic beverages at various homes, and we all tried to become zombies. Kids of all ages loved our Model X from Space setup (crashed alien ship, aliens driving away in Tesla). I'm betting much of Suburbia was much the same.

If anyone really believes you will never get sick again for the rest of your life, keep the dream alive. They've been aiming for that since the Dark Ages. I'm betting heart disease, cancer, or motorsport competition takes me. But maybe it will be a virus, who knows?

I could:
Never eat anything I didn't hand grow in a sealed hothouse.
Stay away from sunlight and all manmade chemicals.
Quit driving and racing.

And I'd still die. Oh well.

• Informative
Reactions: ReddyLeaf
If anyone really believes you will never get sick again for the rest of your life, keep the dream alive.
Ridiculous statement which no one believes of course. The point is to avoid infection until a good vaccine is available which it seems most people will be able to do if one is released in the next few months. Simply delaying infection provides better treatment options than were available early in the year, which is why Sweden's tactics were a bad idea.

Some communities are actually taking this seriously. Here in CNY I see most people on remote trails wearing masks. I'm not one of them because I think that's a bit over the top but it shows the community commitment in the area.

Ridiculous statement which no one believes of course. The point is to avoid infection until a good vaccine is available which it seems most people will be able to do if one is released in the next few months. Simply delaying infection provides better treatment options than were available early in the year, which is why Sweden's tactics were a bad idea.

Some communities are actually taking this seriously. Here in CNY I see most people on remote trails wearing masks. I'm not one of them because I think that's a bit over the top but it shows the community commitment in the area.

You were saying it's a conspiracy. Who is ridiculous? Last summer scientists said November. It's November.

Claiming New York was taking C19 seriously at either city or state level is questionable. We had far tighter restrictions in many rural areas of the US. They never shut down the subway even during the highest death month. Our "subway" is our freeways. They were virtually empty for the first time since ... they were built?

Last edited: