Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In Victoria Australia they made some recent changes to hotel quarantine procedures due to 1 hotel person getting the virus
- All (non-medical?) staff to use face shield and surgical mask instead of planned N95 usage. Previously had surgical mask only.
- When delivering food to rooms (& testing), stagger the times so no doors on same floor open at same time.
- Spread out (leave some rooms empty) for large families as they suspect a previous case might have came from large infected family.
Note the current hotels do not have shared air between rooms/corridors.

I want to know why Australia has not yet approved a vaccine! It seems that given their current situation, vaccinating all people exposed to quarantining travelers would be a key piece of any control strategy. Would not be that many people! They should also be requiring vaccination to enter and leave the country... And they can vaccinate those who are entering the country prior to quarantine period too, voluntarily (might help avoid escapes where quarantine individuals pick it up from another individual at the end of the quarantine period).

Reactions: madodel
I want to know why Australia has not yet approved a vaccine! It seems that given their current situation, vaccinating all people exposed to quarantining travelers would be a key piece of any control strategy. Would not be that many people! They should also be requiring vaccination to enter and leave the country... And they can vaccinate those who are entering the country prior to quarantine period too, voluntarily (might help avoid escapes where quarantine individuals pick it up from another individual at the end of the quarantine period).

The coronavirus cluster in Sydney's northern beaches hasn't changed Australia's vaccination plans

Apparently because their outbreak is "limited" they feel there is no need to rush the approval process, which looks to be the regular approval process (i.e. like the non-EUA FDA one), and not an emergency use authorization.

Each to their own. I'm sure plenty of other countries are happy to take those vaccine doses till Australia completes their approval process.

Still not finding quite what I am looking for. Anything that starts talking about "normal" processes with angiotensinogen II tends to start to get too complex on the background for that.
I sort of want a simplified comparison about how angiotensinogen II interacts with ACE2 compared to COVID-19. Seems like it gets used a lot differently. One is like using ACE2 as a cleaver, and the other is like use ACE2 like a doorknob.
I guess it is a multi-function appendage on the cells.

Some other interesting diagrams:
A molecular trap against COVID-19 | Science
F1.medium.gif

Identification of an existing Japanese pancreatitis drug, Nafamostat, which is expected to prevent the transmission of new coronavirus infection (COVID-19) | The University of Tokyo
400135951.jpg

ACE inhibitors appear to be safe and beneficial for COVID-19, say researchers
%40shutterstock_1700617957.jpg

Examining the envelope protein of SARS-CoV-2
%40shutterstock_1702756216.jpg

I am still struggling with the lock and key analogy.
I am thinking of it more like COVID-19 still "broke in" to the cell, but it found a handle it could grab onto to get the leverage it needed to do that.

Oddly reminded me of some kids toy from my past... Some sticky spiky balls you would throw at things and see if it sticks... It could roll along. Sortof like this:

So COVID sort of rolls its' way into the cells? Instead of bouncing off, it grabs an ACE2 handle and bends its' way into the cell?
Seems like a Ninja warrior challenge to reach out and grab onto the ring so you it can swing over to the goal.

The other thing I keep thinking about how this isn't like a steel door on a safe, hard to get through. This is all a bunch of squishy stuff, right? So sort of like when two bubbles bump into each other and merge.
So are you going for your doctorate in immunology, virology or both? :)

• Funny
Reactions: alloverx
The coronavirus cluster in Sydney's northern beaches hasn't changed Australia's vaccination plans

Apparently because their outbreak is "limited" they feel there is no need to rush the approval process, which looks to be the regular approval process (i.e. like the non-EUA FDA one), and not an emergency use authorization.

Each to their own. I'm sure plenty of other countries are happy to take those vaccine doses till Australia completes their approval process.

Interesting! Pure insanity! Though March doesn’t exactly match a non-EUA timeline either. They might just be able to pull it off. Winter is coming.

Tried to find some more descriptions of COVID-19 using ACE2 to enter cells...
Had high hopes when I saw the title of this video:
But then it just sort of shows the virus entering the cell saying it "merges" without really showing how. "Triggers the process."

More details here:
But I still can't quite visualize it from that.

And this:

Maybe since the mRNA vaccines are so effective, laypeople aren't so interested in the specific mechanics anymore? It is weird looking at videos that are less than a year old that already seem outdated and out of context.

Last edited:
Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Doggydogworld
So I had been posting these questions and musings about the lock/key analogy because it wasn't working quite right for me conceptually to understand what was going on.
I think maybe I have a better analogy to remember things now.

First off, instead of thinking of your cell's ACE2 like a lock and COVID-19 comes along with a spike protein key and just opens the door and goes on in, I look at it more like ACE2 is the key and it unlocks COVID-19.
So COVID-19 is like a Pandora's box and when the cell accidentally opens it up, it turns out there is a spring loaded battering ram inside that busts into the cell.

So I am thinking now more like your cells have some utility scissors outside that the neighborhood can use to open (normally useful) packages.
But COVID-19 is like a trojan horse and when it bumps into your cell, the cell just cuts the cord on the package and the "booby-trap" inside deploys.

The vaccines train your body how to make some protective tape to cover over the rip cords on the COVID-19s so that it never gets a chance to deploy the battering ram inside. Any blocked COVID-19 bounces around harmlessly and eventually disintegrates.

Last edited:
Another silly analogy that occurred to me is that COVID particles are like "sea mines" just waiting for our cells to run into them. ( Doing a search on that idea, I found other people had the same idea already. )
Some of it stems from the thought that COVID doesn't seek out cells to attack, it just randomly bumps into them and "detonates". Your heart pumping your blood around and lungs inhaling and exhaling causes a turbulent environment where cells and other substances keep colliding.
mine-virus.jpg

COVID evolved to be like that... A ball covered with triggers on all sides to maximize the chance a random bounce will result in an infected cell.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVNow and madodel
Interesting! Pure insanity! Though March doesn’t exactly match a non-EUA timeline either. They might just be able to pull it off. Winter is coming.

Australians had 2 separate experiences with COVID19. VIc had a big (outbreak and lockdown) mid year, and the rest of the country has mostly avoided Covid19 since basically April 2020.
upload_2021-2-8_9-10-19.png

Roughly speaking, and outbreak lasts 3 weeks in NSW before it is snuffed out. This is quite amazing

NSW coronavirus outbreaks take three weeks to end, according to analysis of State Government data - ABC News

upload_2021-2-8_9-12-17.png

"An ABC analysis of 18 coronavirus outbreaks in NSW since the beginning of July last year shows it has taken authorities three weeks on average to bring an end to each cluster."

NSW isn't publishing their genomics reports, but in general, something about Australia (excluding mid year Victoria) is effectively resistent to propagation of Covid19, which is why Australia is taking its sweet time to OK the vaccines.

upload_2021-2-8_9-19-43.png

something about Australia (excluding mid year Victoria) is effectively resistent to propagation of Covid19,

I suspect it has something to do with public health measures and compliance, but I don’t follow things down there too closely. Was also never widespread which helps too I suppose.

I doubt it has anything to do with natural resistance.

Hope you guys can keep it under wraps. Don’t underestimate it. Fortunately seems like vaccinations will be on line soon so hopefully will be a non-issue.

I suspect it has something to do with public health measures and compliance, but I don’t follow things down there too closely. Was also never widespread which helps too I suppose.

I doubt it has anything to do with natural resistance.

Hope you guys can keep it under wraps. Don’t underestimate it. Fortunately seems like vaccinations will be on line soon so hopefully will be a non-issue.

Its a coded meassage about our culture, rural australia is always in an unending fight against various foreign biological invaders, be it animals, weeds, insects, virus, even fungai.
for instance, in my state, Panama TR4
Do not enter banana farms - YouTube
this quarantine mentality has largely permeated the culture to instinctivly follow the test, trace, isolate. Formerly Melbourne was the outlier, as Melbourne is far less beholden to rural Victoria, than say Sydney is to rural NSW.

Anyway, it means we are afforded the luxury of being able to analyse overseas vaccine rollouts, which is needed because, when the risk of covid19 to the population is soo low, so too must the risks from the vaccines also be correspondingly low.

Australia's has 4 bets on the vaccine.
1st bet fell over, it was the UQ vax, which resulted in false HIV positivity ! (too much HIV tech in that vaccine)
2nd bet was Oxford AZ vaccine, good vaccine but wrong dosing for trials and therefore data, also made in Oz
3rd bet Pfizer, good vaccine but terrible logistics for a large empty county.
4th bet Novavax, will be initially be imported, then the Australian facilities that make Oxford AZ vaccine will transition to Novavax
5th bet is remainder of the global covax-19 facility
Australia’s vaccine agreements | Australian Government Department of Health

the vaccine rollout will run fast, because the time gap between fancy frozen vaccines and normal ones is so low, that standard flu jab style program will result in high results.

1 week old australian goverment presentation
note well, prediction Novavax is expected to be used as a booster.

Last edited:
Google Translate

14 seniors in a German elder care facility have tested positive for the UK variant. All of them had received the 2nd dose of the Biontech/Pfizer vaccine on January 25.
So far all of them were asymptomatic or displayed only mild symptoms.
The first positive result showed up in tests that were done ~1week after they had received the 2nd dose.

Seems to confirm the assumed possibility that vaccinated people can still get infected and infect others.

Along with all the usual careless crap (denial, uninformed, not thoughtful, exhausted, etc.) I think there is a newish force at work with the people who got vaccinated or already had COVID. Some people with immunities may feel they can slack off on the safety protocols now. So you have a mix of that to contend with as well.

That doesn’t make sense. The only people who’ve been vaccinated to date are front line people and very aged. You’re claiming that a bunch of those people are slacking off because they got vaccinated. Um...not buying it.

• Funny
Reactions: madodel
That doesn’t make sense. The only people who’ve been vaccinated to date are front line people and very aged. You’re claiming that a bunch of those people are slacking off because they got vaccinated. Um...not buying it.
Well I did say "or already had COVID"... That is a lot of people many of which weren't that careful to start with.

And then are some random other people who got vaccine who weren't in the categories you mentioned. Military, line cutters, "in the right place at the right time" people, etc.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2021/01/28/oregon-snowstorm-vaccine-traffic-covid/
The Pentagon won’t say how many COVID-19 vaccines it’s given to troops
Extra vaccine doses given to lucky few outside San Pablo clinic, regardless of age
‘Vaccine lurkers’ wait in parking lots for extra doses at closing time of Ohio’s distribution locations
Random People Are Lining Up to Get Vaccinated in D.C. Grocery Stores
How random people have managed to get leftover coronavirus vaccines

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: NikolaACDC