Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Coronavirus

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: madodel
Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine is delayed by a U.S. factory mix-up.

"Workers at a Baltimore plant manufacturing two coronavirus vaccines accidentally conflated the vaccines’ ingredients several weeks ago, ruining about 15 million doses of Johnson & Johnson’s vaccine and forcing regulators to delay authorization of the plant’s production lines."
Is this going to affect April availability or is this the reason for low March availability ?

ps :

The error does not affect any Johnson & Johnson doses that are currently being delivered and used nationwide, including the shipments that states are counting on next week. All those doses were produced in the Netherlands, where operations have been fully approved by federal regulators.

Further shipments of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine — expected to total 24 million doses in the next month — were supposed to come from the giant plant in Baltimore. Those deliveries are now in question while the quality control issues are sorted out, according to people familiar with the matter.

Last edited:
New Helix Covid sequencing update today. It looks like Michigan, Minnesota, and Florida are now around 70% B.1.1.7 with other states continuing to show increases. Texas near 60%. California now shows 40% or higher (mostly sequenced from the San Diego area apparently).

More reason to mask up, socially distance, and for God's sake, get vaccinated!

"The kinds of things we're seeing are arm soreness, body aches, sometimes fatigue, sometimes even low-grade fever," said Dr. Peter Hotez, a vaccinologist and dean of the National School of Tropical Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine.
After he got his second dose of the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine, "I had shaking chills for a couple of hours," Hotez said.
...Other side effects can include pain, redness or swelling at the injection site and possibly headache or nausea, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said.
So far, for me, one day after 1st Pfizer, the only thing I am noticing is a slightly sore arm.

It's true that some people have reported stronger side effects after their second doses, according to both Pfizer and Moderna.
But again, that's another sign the vaccines are doing what they're supposed to.

So far, for me, one day after 1st Pfizer, the only thing I am noticing is a slightly sore arm.

Decent, but not fool-proof indicator that you didn't have COVID-19 previously (more accurate in the young than the old).

..."Please wait until you're fully vaccinated before you're traveling, before you're engaging in high-risk activities," said CNN Medical Analyst Dr. Leana Wen....
..."We need to hold out just a bit longer and give vaccines a chance to really get the upper hand in this," Fauci said...

Decent, but not fool-proof indicator that you didn't have COVID-19 previously (more accurate in the young than the old).
Yes, I was rather curious to know if I would have side effects from first dose since I had been previously closely exposed to 2 family members who had active COVID, but I never showed symptoms and had 2 negative antibody tests. It sure seems like I somehow managed not to catch it even though I was very exposed.
Maybe all those "supplements" I have been taking (including lots of vitamin D, and Zinc) helped out.
Once I knew I was exposed I took cinnamon, licorice, quercetin, famotidine, melatonin and xylitol spray for the next couple weeks.
( Had them sitting on a shelf just in case they might prove helpful. )
Might be superstitious hogwash, but I tried anything "safe" that I saw people suggesting might help.
WhatSupp.jpg

Reactions: Jeff N

An informative article showing B.1.351 SA variant escapes neutralization by Sputnik V.

The discussion is informative: they claim pre-fusion stabilized spike is key (and describe what that is, roughly, though I don’t fully understand it). So J&J, Moderna, and Pfizer have this, so do not suffer from the same issue. Coronavac, AstraZeneca, and Sputnik V suffer from this issue. This has been speculated about here previously by others and it really seems there is something to it, and can help us understand WHY certain vaccines work better than others. (@Jeff N )

The second reminder discussed in the paper is that even though it does not neutralize and prevent infection & spread (key to eliminating the virus), the Sputnik V vaccine very likely prevents severe disease, due to cell-mediated immunity, which is likely still effective. The second line of defense appears to be effective even in the absence of pre-fusion-stabilized-spike-elicited antibodies.

There is also an interesting discussion about the dose-response curve slope vs. just looking at serum dilution for (say) IC50, when trying to establish correlates of protection. The dilution alone for a fixed point doesn’t give all the info.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeff N and EVNow
FB: "Your local epidemiologist" I follow provided this. Also in this substack post: Vaccine table updated

Lots of vaccine updates, so I updated the table.
Here is a brief summary explaining the changes (and data sources):
**Pfizer**
1. In a press release yesterday, Pfizer gave us a glimpse of their clinical trial 6 month data!! Super exciting. And it looks absolutely beautiful.
  • -12,000 people now have 6 months of data
  • -Efficacy is 91.3% (927 COVID19 cases popped up: 850 cases in the placebo group and 77 cases in the vaccine group)
  • -No impact on B.1.351 (S. Africa) efficacy. However, this was a really small sample size, so we aren’t too confident in these numbers. But a good sign.
  • -Prevented 100% of severe disease on old variants and S. Africa variant
2. 100% efficacy found in the adolescent trial (previous post here)
3. Still works against lots of variants, thanks to T-cells
4. FDA approved warmer storage

**Moderna**
1. Phase I for a vaccine booster against B.1.351 (booster against the S. African variant) has started
2. Still works against lots of variants, thanks to T-cells

**AstraZeneca**
1. Efficacy remains high (75%) against B.1.1.7

**Brazil variant**
We are starting to learn a lot about P.1/P.2 (which originally detected in Brazil). It looks like it’s acting a lot like B.1.351 (originally detected in S. Africa). This makes sense because a lot of the mutations are the same. We have some data from J&J trial. For mRNA vaccines, we now know that they will still work against P.1 because of T-cells.

**Frequently Asked Table Questions**
1. Efficacy vs. neutralizing antibodies? There are two ways to measure how well a vaccine works: Efficacy and immunogenicity. Immunogenicity is a more complicated metric that measures the type of immune responses that the vaccine generates and their magnitude over time. Unfortunately, there is currently no definitive set values that “define” a protective immune response (we are still working on this). So, we just know that immunogenicity is “lower” against variants, but we don’t really know what that exactly means in terms of efficacy. Also, there are a lot of different lab studies to measure immunogenicity. So, we can’t compare neutralizing antibodies from one study (like among Moderna) compared to another study (like for Pfizer).
2. Why is there more Pfizer press than Moderna? I don’t know, but I can make conjectures. Pfizer is a seasoned, big fish in this game. This is Moderna’s first vaccine. Less press is not reason to worry about Moderna. The biotechnology is almost exactly the same, so there’s no reason to think that Moderna is meaningfully different than Pfizer.

**Other Random Update**
Vaccine hesitancy continues to decrease in the United States! We still have work to do, though.

Th0YQTR.jpg

Just a general comment that I think there are 2 main "lines of attack" we have that are most effective at stopping this from harming people:
#1: (obviously) the various vaccines
#2: Monoclonal antibody treatments EARLY in the course when symptoms are first detected.

If #2 were widely available, I wouldn't even be worrying so much and think of this as a more minor illness. The problem is their availability and when you get approved to get them. From what I can tell, they are highly effective at stopping symptoms. But (unless you are some high profile official), I think the only way to get them is through randomized trials, so you might end up with placebo which isn't a good place to be.

Is there any news on more widespread availability? And ability to get them prescribed without being in a randomized trial?
I assume it will always be only in a hospital settings, so no chance of some monoclonal antibody "home cure" ever coming?

All the other drugs... Remdesivir, etc, are really just about reducing the most severe symptoms. Monoclonal antibodies are more like an antidote/cure from what I can tell.

I compiled this partial list for Pfizer. Side effects are worse
- after second dose
- for younger people

Pfizer Dose 1Pfizer Dose 2
<55>55Placebo<55>55Placebo
Fever
4%​
1%​
0%​
16%​
11%​
0%​
Fatigue
47%​
34%​
23%​
59%​
51%​
17%​
Headache
42%​
25%​
18%​
52%​
39%​
14%​
Chills
14%​
6%​
3%​
35%​
23%​
3%​
Diarrhea
11%​
8%​
7%​
10%​
8%​
6%​
Muscle Pain
21%​
14%​
8%​
37%​
29%​
5%​

Look at the number of Placebo people getting side-effects. Definitely some of that is in the mind.

BTW, I guess people with previous Covid infection & people receiving the second dose have worse side effects for the same reason. Infact it also explains higher side effects in younger folk. The better your immune system / immunity - the stronger the reaction.